02/22/11 02:20 PM
02/22/11 02:20 PM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
the real problem with the low numbers of "yoots" in sailing or any sport is that you old farts didn't have that many kids!

Think about it. When you were a tot, how big was the "kids table" at a holiday dinner? Probably twice the size of the parents table.

And now? I'd be willing to bet the kids table is a fraction of the size of the "adult's table".

us 'Mericans got too caught up chasing "the good life" instead of aforementioned tail and are victims of our own success.

Birthrates in developed countries are down (so it's not just us), so much that most face population declines (not to mention enough young folks to clean up after the old farts)

So, in addition to all the other time-wasters we've developed to take kid's attention away from sport, we don't have a deep pool of youngsters (under 20) to solicit to start with...

So we're back to Ding's mantra "single moms need your support". If they're not out there helping our population, no one else will.... So dig deep, 'merica, your country needs you.

Jay

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Cat Sailors - All Old Guys? [Re: waterbug_wpb] #228965
02/22/11 02:44 PM
02/22/11 02:44 PM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
the real problem with the low numbers of "yoots" in sailing or any sport is that you old farts didn't have that many kids!

Think about it. When you were a tot, how big was the "kids table" at a holiday dinner? Probably twice the size of the parents table.

And now? I'd be willing to bet the kids table is a fraction of the size of the "adult's table".

us 'Mericans got too caught up chasing "the good life" instead of aforementioned tail and are victims of our own success.

Birthrates in developed countries are down (so it's not just us), so much that most face population declines (not to mention enough young folks to clean up after the old farts)

So, in addition to all the other time-wasters we've developed to take kid's attention away from sport, we don't have a deep pool of youngsters (under 20) to solicit to start with...

So we're back to Ding's mantra "single moms need your support". If they're not out there helping our population, no one else will.... So dig deep, 'merica, your country needs you.

Home run Waterbug! You are joining us, right?

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: Cat Sailors - All Old Guys? [Re: waterbug_wpb] #228970
02/22/11 08:25 PM
02/22/11 08:25 PM
Annapolis,MD
Keith Offline
veteran
Keith  Offline
veteran

Annapolis,MD

Awhile ago I hatched the Plan for Cat Sailor World Domination, and then the WRCRA faithful began doing their best. Below is the basic plan as updated and sent to the Fleet when I was making my first contribution to the effort:

All,
For an obvious reason, I felt like dusting this one off, with an update and change here and there. Enjoy!

I've always felt that a goal of the Chesapeake area catamaran sailing associations should be nothing less than achieving total multihull domination of the world sailing scene! One by one, the heathen half-boaters will be converted or left in our wakes! Those who don't join our cause will surely be crushed by it! So far, the increase in numbers of boats at the races this year have provided solid testimony that our plan is working. But it is a slow process overtaking the world one or two sailors at a time. It might just be the only thing slow about our sport.

So, time for plan B! Yes, we'll continue spreading the word and converting the unbelieving mono-sluggers, and yes, maybe some Inquisition-style techniques may have to be employed. But that just isn't enough. Nope.

We must out-procreate them! Yes! It's really so simple - multihulling couples have children to form the next wave of the true sailing faithful! What better way to achieve our goals! Imagine what the owners of the newest Standstill-30 will say! "My gosh, look how fast they sail! Egads! They're breeding too!"

What's that you say? It will take at least 9 months to start putting that plan into action? Not really. It seems that this plan has already been initiated by WRCRA members, from the Holmes to the Daunheimers to the LoSapios, from the Wellingtons to the Lees to the Sieverts. I may have missed a few, so if I have forgive my oversight and take a bow for your part in the plan! The newest arrival will be courtesy of Jackie and me!

For me, it's great to remember that in addition to being a truly blessed event, child birth to multihull couples really is another step in the march to world domination. But calling the whole effort the "Plan for Cat Sailor World Domination" may be a little unsettling for the rest of the sailing world, so let's just call it Operation "look out world, the cat-sailors are breeding" so nobody will know what we're up to. Our little secret.

Now let's all take to heart the example of those that have already thrust into action and labored for the good of the plan when push came to shove. Yes, we've had babies born to cat sailors before. It's a great and wonderful thing! But we need more! So you must get out there and do your part. Or at least train and practice like crazy for the day that you might.

That is all,
Kap'n Keith
Minister of Propaganda
Cat Sailing World Domination League

A final note - most studies show that families with little education are out-breeding those with some smarts. I consider cat sailors to be very smart. I suspect this is the reason there are more jetskis on the water than catamarans. This is a trend that will only continue if we don't get busy. So get busy, or at least practice like mad.

Re: Cat Sailors - All Old Guys? [Re: Keith] #228971
02/22/11 08:39 PM
02/22/11 08:39 PM
Chattanooga, TN
Joanna Offline
addict
Joanna  Offline
addict

Chattanooga, TN
I never knew there was a thing called a catamaran till I was 34 yrs old and started working with Oley.

He talked NON-STOP about all his sailing adventures. So, I was like "take me sailing..let me try". "I will, someday" was his usual response. About 2 years later after asking yet again, he said I could go along to a regatta but "I was not getting on his boat!". After three regattas sailing with other skippers, tearing my hands to shreds from working the spin with no gloves, break downs, the long drives, etc I was still asking when the next race was. FINALLY he let me on his boat! And the rest is history...I AM HOOKED!!

But like a lot of guys have said....it is frustrating to spend all the time taking someone out and them never coming back. When I asked Oley about it-his answer was "wanted to make sure you would stay with it...I was tired of training crew".

I don't have the answers...just thought I would share how I got into the sport.

Last edited by Joanna; 02/22/11 08:40 PM.

Joanna

Blade F16
"Too Sharp to Touch"
Re: Cat Sailors - All Old Guys? [Re: waterbug_wpb] #228972
02/22/11 08:54 PM
02/22/11 08:54 PM
38.912, -95.37
_flatlander_ Offline
old hand
_flatlander_  Offline
old hand

38.912, -95.37

uh-oh Jay...going have to slap some facts on ya.
The millennial generation equals the population of the baby-boomers (or real close) like 78 million born between 1980-82 and 2000.
They're also called baby echo. There's also more in the hopper, forecasts thru 2025 are good. Dwindling numbers was GenX.
this is a bad scene. Is dragging them by their ears away for the X-box OK?
Keith and I are giving that an amen! laugh

John H16, H14
Re: Cat Sailors - All Old Guys? [Re: Joanna] #228974
02/22/11 10:56 PM
02/22/11 10:56 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by Joanna
I never knew there was a thing called a catamaran till I was 34 yrs old and started working with Oley.

He talked NON-STOP about all his sailing adventures. So, I was like "take me sailing..let me try". "I will, someday" was his usual response. About 2 years later after asking yet again, he said I could go along to a regatta but "I was not getting on his boat!". After three regattas sailing with other skippers, tearing my hands to shreds from working the spin with no gloves, break downs, the long drives, etc I was still asking when the next race was. FINALLY he let me on his boat! And the rest is history...I AM HOOKED!!

But like a lot of guys have said....it is frustrating to spend all the time taking someone out and them never coming back. When I asked Oley about it-his answer was "wanted to make sure you would stay with it...I was tired of training crew".

I don't have the answers...just thought I would share how I got into the sport.

I got to the same point...and bought an A-cat.

Jake Kohl
Re: Cat Sailors - All Old Guys? [Re: _flatlander_] #228975
02/22/11 11:14 PM
02/22/11 11:14 PM
South Florida & the Keys
arbo06 Offline
Pooh-Bah
arbo06  Offline
Pooh-Bah

South Florida & the Keys
I think that the target group is 20 - 25. They are the ones hangin out at the beach, partying and havin fun at the beach away from the internet and all that other sedintary lifestyle crap. I think most people need to ease into racing through recreation first. Skydivers is another area to look at, their sport is similar to ours as far as the equipment, gear and concepts go. I went to a skydiving shop in Clewiston this Sunday and was totally enamoured with the similarities of their deal compared to ours...

Eric Arbogast
ARC 2101
Miami Yacht Club
Re: Cat Sailors - All Old Guys? [Re: arbo06] #228976
02/22/11 11:30 PM
02/22/11 11:30 PM
Northfield Mn
Karl_Brogger Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Karl_Brogger  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Northfield Mn
Here's a question, the sport seems to have been growing the last few years.

Why?

Is it because somebody was doing something, or has it been natural?

I honestly don't think there is anything that can get people into this god-awful/wonderful sport other than them wanting to on their own.

I'm boatless.
Re: Cat Sailors - All Old Guys? [Re: Karl_Brogger] #228977
02/22/11 11:40 PM
02/22/11 11:40 PM
Anacortes
Sloansailing Offline
Sloansailing  Offline

Anacortes
Best quote from owner of a 50 footer while we were anchored and having dinner during a 120 mile distance race: "Phucking Stupid Sport!"

Last edited by Sloansailing; 02/22/11 11:40 PM.

Anacortes Rigging.com
Rigging and Yacht Services
Re: Cat Sailors - All Old Guys? [Re: Karl_Brogger] #228981
02/23/11 07:21 AM
02/23/11 07:21 AM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

It's "natural" some people really, really enjoy the sensation of sailing cats, even when it's frustrating.

Seriously, how often have you had a bad day on the water?

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: Cat Sailors - All Old Guys? [Re: pgp] #228983
02/23/11 07:56 AM
02/23/11 07:56 AM
+31NL
Tony_F18 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Tony_F18  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

+31NL
Once a year a big national newspaper, Hobiecat/Nacra, and a sailing club organize a special day where people can get a ride on a cat.
They have to pay €25 and get a sandwich and a ride on one of the cats.
http://translate.google.nl/translat...ttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.catamaranopstapdag.nl%2F

I think JC did one of these days as well.
It usually attracts about 100 people (dont know exact numbers) and know of a few people who bought a boat or started crewing since visiting it.

Re: Cat Sailors - All Old Guys? [Re: Tony_F18] #228986
02/23/11 09:20 AM
02/23/11 09:20 AM
Chicago, Illinois USA
TEH Offline OP
enthusiast
TEH  Offline OP
enthusiast

Chicago, Illinois USA
I think the target market needs to be refined a little than what I am generally reading about here.

First of all, in marketing, its a lot easier to cross-sell a complimentary product (especially if it provides more of the right benefits) to people already buying than it is to non-users.

So I'd like to suggest two target groups of people aready sailing. First, current/past monohull sailors on the cusp of the primary age group - 45+. They have the willingness to sail and the ability to buy the more expensive boats. With kids getting older, they have more time as well.

The second target group would be the 15-25 group of monohull racers. You want to create enough of an impression to last them through their early family years.

I guess my poiint is increase your odds of a conversion by going to the sailing enthusiast. Some of the tactics preented in this thread are great, just target your offer a bit more.

Blade F16 USA 725
Re: Cat Sailors - All Old Guys? [Re: pgp] #228987
02/23/11 09:38 AM
02/23/11 09:38 AM
Ft. Pierce, Fl. USA
Seeker Offline
addict
Seeker  Offline
addict

Ft. Pierce, Fl. USA
It is not hard to figure out....

Expense + Set up/Tear down time + Storage issues + Excessive rules + Slow speed compared to other sports + No media exposure + Weather dependent + Location dependent = no interest by the masses.

Not everyone likes the same thing...just enjoy the sport you love and let others enjoy what they love...everyone will be happier.

Re: Cat Sailors - All Old Guys? [Re: Seeker] #228988
02/23/11 09:56 AM
02/23/11 09:56 AM
Chicago, Illinois USA
TEH Offline OP
enthusiast
TEH  Offline OP
enthusiast

Chicago, Illinois USA
Then don't target the masses is my response. Target the people with money/time/interest. Focus your efforts (if you are so inclined) on the right people.

Blade F16 USA 725
Re: Cat Sailors - All Old Guys? [Re: TEH] #228991
02/23/11 11:56 AM
02/23/11 11:56 AM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I just left a group of dingy sailors and they have all the same concerns and frustrations.

That suggests the first place to start is reaching out to other small boating groups to secure access. If there is a lot of sailing activity in an area it will draw those interested.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: Cat Sailors - All Old Guys? [Re: pgp] #228995
02/23/11 01:29 PM
02/23/11 01:29 PM
Framingham, MA
acceleratedchaos Offline
acceleratedchaos  Offline

Framingham, MA
If you want the 20-25 year old group to grow in your local races, design the races around what they want. Regattas need to be well organized, in fun places, and have great parties after racing. Great parties mean, there must be girls there, not just the 50 year old guys talking about the good old days. This age group will grow themselves once the momentum starts if the scene is right. It must be girlfriend friendly, so yes, have real bathrooms, and for the ones that don't want to race, have a list of things to do while their boyfriends are out sailing. Shopping and beaches are typically big sellers, as well as other people to hang out with.
The college racing scene is a great place to look for crew, and when they graduate and are considering what boat to buy, cats will be an obvious choice.
There is not doubt that yacht club regattas are an obvious fit for this group. Larger events with other young sailors is a draw and make the scene more social. Its good exposure for the cat-class, and its my experience they are happy to have the excitement that high performance boats bring to the events. HPDO, BBR,and Newport regattas are good examples of this here in the northeast.
Lastly.... provide FREE BEER!

Re: Cat Sailors - All Old Guys? [Re: TEH] #229037
02/24/11 11:25 AM
02/24/11 11:25 AM
Anacortes
Sloansailing Offline
Sloansailing  Offline

Anacortes
Originally Posted by TEH
I think the target market needs to be refined a little than what I am generally reading about here.

First of all, in marketing, its a lot easier to cross-sell a complimentary product (especially if it provides more of the right benefits) to people already buying than it is to non-users.

So I'd like to suggest two target groups of people aready sailing. First, current/past monohull sailors on the cusp of the primary age group - 45+. They have the willingness to sail and the ability to buy the more expensive boats. With kids getting older, they have more time as well.

The second target group would be the 15-25 group of monohull racers. You want to create enough of an impression to last them through their early family years.

I guess my poiint is increase your odds of a conversion by going to the sailing enthusiast. Some of the tactics preented in this thread are great, just target your offer a bit more.

Fantastic response. Spot on. I converted from keelboat sailing (owning) because I got so sick of handicap racing, and always being locked down in one location. We are having a ton of fun learning the cat, and the NW F18 fleet is growing quite quickly, with some fresh people joining this season from Acat and a keelboat (both long time cat sailors).

Anacortes Rigging.com
Rigging and Yacht Services
Re: Cat Sailors - All Old Guys? [Re: David Ingram] #229050
02/24/11 03:53 PM
02/24/11 03:53 PM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
Originally Posted by David Ingram
Home run Waterbug! You are joining us, right?

you know your curlies are longer than my leash, right?

Jay

Re: Cat Sailors - All Old Guys? [Re: pgp] #229051
02/24/11 03:55 PM
02/24/11 03:55 PM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
"We must out-procreate them"

Should be easy nowdays with those big trampolines on beachcats AND the 18 and 16 fleets being mixed gender (perhaps that was the problem so long ago with the H-16 and Sharks being predominantly dudes?)

Jay

Re: Cat Sailors - All Old Guys? [Re: waterbug_wpb] #229052
02/24/11 03:58 PM
02/24/11 03:58 PM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
and back to Pete's train... why do we need more people in the sport?

So we have more people to race against (as long as they don't beat us because then we'll start a handicap system)?

So boats will be cheaper?

So we'll all feel popular?

Jeeze, just get out and sail (speak for myself). If you're having fun, does it really matter how big the sport is?

Off to my dodgeball world tournament... smile

Jay

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 364 guests, and 81 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022