Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Big Guys and Wave Racing [Re: ] #235764
08/05/11 02:14 PM
08/05/11 02:14 PM
Ottawa, Canada
BigWhoop Offline OP
BigWhoop  Offline OP

Ottawa, Canada
Here I go answering my own question. I've read Rick's stuff about mast rake and 10 hole adjusters, that's what I've got. And based on past experience I moved the rudder holes forward about 1/8" and the boat is so neutral that the tiny amount of friction from the gudgeon bushings will hold everything straight. But based on far too little racing in middle range wind I was almost as fast upwind as the smaller guys and slower downwind. So I moved the mast forward three holes, like at the top of seven hole adjuster. Not much difference but maybe a touch faster downwind. Then another three holes. As of one try that's very slightly slower upwind, maybe the same speed, somebody kept running out of runway on a pin favoured line so I'm not certain. And noticeably sliding backward going downwind. After a little more experience I will probably try moving the mast forward still more. Couple more holes maybe.

So that's where I am now.

Oh, that and a tiller extension. The early discussion seemed like that was a done deal and then Rick pulled rank and started mandating status quo and other folk discussed it without trying it so ... I'm not so sure.

As of right now I've got one and it makes the boat a lot more "catamaran" like.

--Advertisement--
Re: Big Guys and Wave Racing [Re: BigWhoop] #236012
08/10/11 07:43 AM
08/10/11 07:43 AM
Ottawa, Canada
BigWhoop Offline OP
BigWhoop  Offline OP

Ottawa, Canada
What are the little yellow triangles with the red exclamation strobing at the top page of this topic? There are two of them on different topics.

Re: Big Guys and Wave Racing [Re: BigWhoop] #236018
08/10/11 09:56 AM
08/10/11 09:56 AM
Indianapolis, IN - Midwest USA...
IndyWave Offline
enthusiast
IndyWave  Offline
enthusiast

Indianapolis, IN - Midwest USA...
If you put your cursor on the triangles, it says the topic has more than 40 repies or 100000 views. Other forums call it a "Hot Topic." Obviously you've sparked some debate.
Good job! Thank you!

What - Me Worry?

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"
Re: Big Guys and Wave Racing [Re: IndyWave] #236330
08/15/11 08:00 AM
08/15/11 08:00 AM
Ottawa, Canada
BigWhoop Offline OP
BigWhoop  Offline OP

Ottawa, Canada
More "Where I am Now".

Yesterday started light and then built, maybe 6 or eight knots on the ride in. I'm still at sixth hole down from the top on a ten hole adjuster. First race was mostly very light, there were barely ripples from the bow. So maybe one or two knots. I was a touch slower upwind in the light, but it was variable enough that speed differences pretty much got lost in the noise. Downwind I might have been slightly slower but I was right beside a competitor at the leeward mark so I'm competitive. I might have won the second race if the Race Committee hadn't decided to go from one to two sausages just as we were finishing. Good. The wind was a solid 4 to 6 for the third race and I was further back but still in the hunt. I'd probably have done better with more rake in that one. So that's all good.

The mast standing straighter to power the boat up and the tiller extension allowing me to get further forward definitely evens the playing field. Just so you know the other folks are using tiller extensions too. This isn't apples and oranges.

It's a lot more fun racing with the other Waves, and the Lasers, than sliding backwards and then giving up when I get 200 or 400 meters behind. Much more enjoyable than the two days I spend in the light stuff that started this thread.

Go Big Guys!

Re: Big Guys and Wave Racing [Re: BigWhoop] #236494
08/18/11 11:42 PM
08/18/11 11:42 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

I am also "too big" for my Wave, and for the life of me can't understand how a tiller extension could hurt.

Before I bought my boat, I sailed a 2011 boat at Madcatter, and all I heard going upwind was the gurgling of the rudders because the boat was so poorly balanced with my weight so far back (I was sitting as far forward as I could and still reach the tiller).

I now own a 2009 Wave, but I also bought an older boat to get the old rudder system, selling it with the EZ Locks from the new boat.

This seems silly for a class that wants to grow.

Mike

Re: Big Guys and Wave Racing [Re: brucat] #236528
08/19/11 11:57 AM
08/19/11 11:57 AM
Albenarle NC
J
jackbr549 Offline
journeyman
jackbr549  Offline
journeyman
J

Albenarle NC
I'm helping a friend with learn to sail a Wave with an EZ lock rudders. The boat has lee to neutral helm with the pin in the second hole on a 7 hole adjuster. the rudders seemed hard to turn and when we looked the cross bar had one side on the top and the other on the bottom causing it to bind some. Will make the repair and try again. You can't run one rudder up with this system.

Re: Big Guys and Wave Racing [Re: jackbr549] #236535
08/19/11 02:01 PM
08/19/11 02:01 PM
Key Largo, FL and Put-in-Bay, ...
RickWhite Offline

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline

Carpal Tunnel

We had an era where many were running with one rudder up, but most of us use both all the time. We rake the mast aft to load up the rudders as daggerboards, so why pull one up? Personally, I think I have better feel of the helm with both rudders down. And without raising a rudder, you don't take a chance on the locking mechanism going the wrong way (old system)

Rick

Rick White
Catsailor Magazine & OnLineMarineStore.com
www.onlinemarinestore.com
Re: Big Guys and Wave Racing [Re: RickWhite] #236542
08/19/11 03:45 PM
08/19/11 03:45 PM
Ottawa, Canada
BigWhoop Offline OP
BigWhoop  Offline OP

Ottawa, Canada
Hey! Something that Rick and I agree on! I've been trying one rudder up downwind, I have the pre 2005 rudder system, and I feel that I steer more with one rudder. It doesn't seem to make much difference so I guess dragging two rudders through the water slightly sideways must have about the same drag as one rudder more sideways. Plus I seem to be unsmooth (word?) about the up and down thing when jibing or rounding a mark.

Your mileage may vary.

Re: Big Guys and Wave Racing [Re: BigWhoop] #237614
09/14/11 10:03 PM
09/14/11 10:03 PM
Ottawa, Canada
BigWhoop Offline OP
BigWhoop  Offline OP

Ottawa, Canada
Even more "Where I am Now":

Two big changes: moved the mast more upright and starting using a tiller extension. I'm in the 2nd hole in the forestay, from the bottom so pretty much up and down. I haven't had a chance to sail that way when it's windy but in the light to variable it's good. And I have the tiller extension which lets me move forward when it's really light. The other guys I race against are using the tiller extension too so it's not an unfair advantage. Last time we raced in the first race there were three boats and we were within 100 feet at the bottom mark the second time. So I'm pleased. Particularly since I was in the middle on that one. In the second race I butched the A mark rounding, touched it, and did a 360 so not a good comparison. In the third one I started on port went right and was half a leg behind by the time I got to the top mark so no comparison there either.

This is all very reassuring since I seem to have competitive speed. All I need is to have the extension legitimized and to be less stupid. Then I'm set. It's more fun now.

Re: Big Guys and Wave Racing [Re: BigWhoop] #237693
09/16/11 07:58 AM
09/16/11 07:58 AM
RickWhite Offline

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Or maybe you are learning the boat more.
Rick

Rick White
Catsailor Magazine & OnLineMarineStore.com
www.onlinemarinestore.com
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 426 guests, and 84 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022