Announcements
New Discussions
Hobie 16 hull bow shroud anchor damage
by Kc2canada. 04/07/21 11:08 PM
F85SR Concept Boat
by phill. 04/03/21 08:38 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Nacra not righted [Re: DennisMe] #236465
08/18/11 03:33 PM
08/18/11 03:33 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 267
Ocean Springs, MS
Capt_Cardiac Offline
enthusiast
Capt_Cardiac  Offline
enthusiast

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 267
Ocean Springs, MS
Goose, I'm gonna put on the breaks and he'll fly right by...


Capt Cardiac
Ocean Springs Yacht Club
Sailor
Nacra20 - Flight of Ideas #5
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Nacra not righted [Re: Capt_Cardiac] #236472
08/18/11 04:24 PM
08/18/11 04:24 PM
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 12,310
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 12,310
South Carolina
Originally Posted by Capt_Cardiac
Goose, I'm gonna put on the breaks and he'll fly right by...


Ted and I have recently being quoting a lot of top gun lately...including that one. That would be hilarious.


Jake Kohl
Re: Nacra not righted [Re: DennisMe] #236473
08/18/11 06:41 PM
08/18/11 06:41 PM
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 69
L
Lost in Translation Offline
journeyman
Lost in Translation  Offline
journeyman
L

Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 69
My experience is that downhaul on a catamaran sail increases draft and power initially and then decreases that power as downhaul is brought eventually to max. Off will be somewhat depowered, but I'd guess absolutely max on would also work well.

Re: Nacra not righted [Re: Baltic] #236502
08/19/11 03:36 AM
08/19/11 03:36 AM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 1,383
Kingston SE South Australia
JeffS Offline
veteran
JeffS  Offline
veteran

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 1,383
Kingston SE South Australia
Originally Posted by Baltic
Originally Posted by waynemarlow

As an experiment try facing your boat directly into wind on the beach without any main sheet on, now tighten the downhaul and see what happens, you maybe surprised. Mine becomes like a cat on a hot roof, bouncing around all over the place.


Any idea why this is the case? Pulling the downhaul should flatten the sail, reducing the camber.


I think it depends on what shape your sail takes when you pull the downhaul on. With really light wind, not enough to give the sail shape on my Taipan 5.7 I pulled the downhaul on hard until it pulled the sail into shape and it would look like it was full of wind and not flop around, that way I could use the little puffs. So if the downhaul is still on hard in a capsize you may still get lift from the sail as your trying to right the boat but unfortunately it is sucking the sail back to the water. When you leave the downhaul on when on the beach the front of the sail has shape so the wind latches on but then goes around into the loose cloth and flaps the sail around.


Jeff Southall
Current boats
Nacra 5.8 1703 Animal Scanning Services
Nacra 5.8 1667 Ram Raider
Nacra 18 Square
Arrow 1576
Re: Nacra not righted [Re: DennisMe] #236523
08/19/11 09:20 AM
08/19/11 09:20 AM
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 678
Palm Beach County
TheManShed Offline
addict
TheManShed  Offline
addict

Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 678
Palm Beach County
I use to right my 5.2 by leaving the dagger boards extended and standing on the ends of them, jib usually still sheeted in and the main loose. In light winds you can leave the main sheet tight as long as you have the sheet in your hand. Of course I was much younger back then, in good shape at 5' 11" @ 190 lbs. I was always flying the hulls it was just about the best thrill and a great boat to single hand for my size.


Mike Shappell
www.themanshed.com
TMS-20 Builder
G-Cat 5.7 - Current Boat
NACRA 5.2 - early 70's

Re: Nacra not righted [Re: Baltic] #236526
08/19/11 11:32 AM
08/19/11 11:32 AM
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 330
S
srm Offline
enthusiast
srm  Offline
enthusiast
S

Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 330
Originally Posted by Baltic
Originally Posted by waynemarlow

As an experiment try facing your boat directly into wind on the beach without any main sheet on, now tighten the downhaul and see what happens, you maybe surprised. Mine becomes like a cat on a hot roof, bouncing around all over the place.


Any idea why this is the case? Pulling the downhaul should flatten the sail, reducing the camber.


Because when the downhaul is completely off, there is no camber in the sail. The sail material is allowed to relax and align itself to the wind, especially along the leading edge. Once you pull on the downhaul, you are forcing shape into the sail and so the sail can never actually align itself to the wind, therefore it can never go fully into "neutral".

You crank on the downhaul to reduce sail power while underway, but whenever you want to park, you should let off the downhaul completely (so there is no tension along the leading edge of the sail).

sm



Re: Nacra not righted [Re: srm] #236578
08/21/11 05:22 AM
08/21/11 05:22 AM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 246
Kiel, Germany
Baltic Offline
enthusiast
Baltic  Offline
enthusiast

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 246
Kiel, Germany
Originally Posted by srm
Because when the downhaul is completely off, there is no camber in the sail. The sail material is allowed to relax and align itself to the wind, especially along the leading edge. Once you pull on the downhaul, you are forcing shape into the sail and so the sail can never actually align itself to the wind, therefore it can never go fully into "neutral".

You crank on the downhaul to reduce sail power while underway, but whenever you want to park, you should let off the downhaul completely (so there is no tension along the leading edge of the sail).

sm



This is a very comprehensible explanation - addressing both the righting issue and parking at the beach. Thanks!


F18: C2 / A-Cat: Minelli
Re: Nacra not righted [Re: Baltic] #236681
08/22/11 03:12 PM
08/22/11 03:12 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 431
Netherlands
DennisMe Offline OP
addict
DennisMe  Offline OP
addict

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 431
Netherlands
Thanks everyone, hopefully next time I'll get 'r righted first try!

Dennis

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 30 guests, and 178 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Carlos_Ledo, Kc2canada, rodbarman, StrayCatMarine, jpc25
8100 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
phill 1
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,386
Posts267,023
Members8,100
Most Online1,650
Sep 10th, 2019
--Advertisement--
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1