Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by MN3
Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever
How about back on topic?

The next time i am asked to get back on topic ... the answer is NO

Man , that really got your panties in a wad. How about another request? Remove your head from your a$$ and have some consideration for the boatload of folks that come here to read about sailing and not your political garbage. I guess you think everyone is ganging up on you too? Jake explained it to you. Get over yourself.

Todd

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #237421
09/12/11 08:08 AM
09/12/11 08:08 AM

M
MN3
Unregistered
MN3
Unregistered
M

And i haven't said another word about budgets, or taxes.

I disagree my comments were political but am willing to disagree and respect peoples wishes and keep political stuff aside (i dont even like talking politics)...

But "stay on topic".. not gonna even consider that request again.

I dont think nor care if people were ganing up on me. I just think it's hypocritical of people to say stay on topic, and then continue to or not stay on topic them self.

This is a forum where free thought and expression are supposed to take place... letting a discussion take a natural course and evolve (or devolve) is a part of it. If you don't what to see what I write.. than block me.

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida [Re: ] #237422
09/12/11 08:38 AM
09/12/11 08:38 AM
South Louisiana, USA
Clayton Offline
old hand
Clayton  Offline
old hand

South Louisiana, USA
So, did the boat get registered? Inq

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida [Re: Clayton] #237426
09/12/11 10:00 AM
09/12/11 10:00 AM
St Augustine FL
Jerry S Offline OP
stranger
Jerry S  Offline OP
stranger

St Augustine FL
I registered the boat, but never did get a clear answer on this site. I'm surprised that a boat dealer wouldn't respond. So now I have to pay the $35 every year.

Hobie 18 #15767
Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida [Re: Jerry S] #237427
09/12/11 10:17 AM
09/12/11 10:17 AM

M
MN3
Unregistered
MN3
Unregistered
M

Hi Jerry, I thought it was covered.

Legally it's required. In actuality, many people either can't title (and register) their boats cause they never had the right paperwork, or (b) they choose not to and risk the ticket/fine etc

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida [Re: Jerry S] #237428
09/12/11 10:53 AM
09/12/11 10:53 AM
Florida Suncoast, Dunedin Caus...
catman Offline
Pooh-Bah
catman  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Florida Suncoast, Dunedin Caus...
Originally Posted by Jerry S
I registered the boat, but never did get a clear answer on this site. I'm surprised that a boat dealer wouldn't respond. So now I have to pay the $35 every year.

There's no question that if you purchase a new cat these days you will get a title.

These type of boats used to be treated like dirt bikes were. You would get a MSO. Manufactures Statement of Origin. Now you could take that and get a title but most people didn't because they weren't required to register them. Now that's all changed.
When you buy a dirt bike or cat you will get a title.

The problem is in how the older boats without titles are being treated. With the dirt bikes you could simply go to the tag office give them the VIN# and they would run it through the data base and if it didn't come as stolen then they generated a title for you no questions asked. With the cats they are treating people like they're guilty of a crime. Some boats have no VIN#'s due to repair or never having one ala DART. To add to the problem you can talk to different tag offices and get different answers. So people are flying under the radar in lieu of hiring a lawyer and going in front of a judge to prove ownership of a $1000.00 boat.

Have Fun
Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida [Re: catman] #237432
09/12/11 12:05 PM
09/12/11 12:05 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Jerry, so you had a title the whole time? MN3 is right, that is where most people have issues.

Mike

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida [Re: brucat] #237497
09/13/11 11:41 AM
09/13/11 11:41 AM
St Augustine FL
Jerry S Offline OP
stranger
Jerry S  Offline OP
stranger

St Augustine FL
South Carolina required a titile, but not a registration. I needed a title so I could get beach pass sticker to leave the boat on the beach without being fined in Mrytle Beach. The tag office wouldn't give me a title at first because I did't have one from Florida. So I just told them I had bought the boat from a guy who had it on a private lake and the title was issued. There are ways at getting the title if needed.

Hobie 18 #15767
Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida [Re: Jerry S] #237501
09/13/11 12:28 PM
09/13/11 12:28 PM

M
MN3
Unregistered
MN3
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by Jerry S
There are ways at getting the title if needed.

Yes but there are also penalties for getting busted lying on govt / registration forms. Some are felonies. I am not willing to take those risks.

I am glad you got what you needed, and i find it odd (but not surprising) that FL wouldn't honor your out of state title and sell you a in state one.... they transfer titles (and collect fees) for a living

Re: Registering a Hobie in Florida [Re: ] #237505
09/13/11 12:45 PM
09/13/11 12:45 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

This isn't a political tangent, I promise...

It always amazes me how difficult these processes can be. Probably a direct result of the state-to-state nature of how governments work. Not saying that a national registry would solve all problems, but most issues I've ever had in a registry has been the result of interstate purchases.

Here's a fun example:

I live in MA, but my dealer is in RI. My dealer insists that she must collect RI sales tax on trailers (even from out-of-state buyers), and that all I need to do is show my receipt to the MA registry, and I won't have to pay sales tax to MA.

I've gone through this twice. The people in the MA registry are so defiant that they must collect the sales tax (and I'm not paying this twice), that it always goes to a supervisor, who never knows what to do.

Basically, I've learned to go in near the end of the day, play dumb (and be really, really polite!!!), and show all the paperwork. With any luck, they whine about it for a while, then just waive the tax and let you register the trailer and go on your way. If they're having a bad day, they'll make you come back the next day so they can think about it some more...

As far as I can tell, there's no obvious mechanism for MA to collect the tax from RI (which is what I think the intention is).

Mike

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 441 guests, and 84 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022