09/13/11 08:43 AM
09/13/11 08:43 AM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
On the speed trial, the fast boat did 500 meters in 39 seconds, so...what's that in Knots?

Anybody got a calculator handy? Why don't they display the actual GPS speeds somewhere on the screen?

Blade F16
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: AC 45s at Plymouth [Re: Timbo] #237470
09/13/11 08:45 AM
09/13/11 08:45 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
I liked the discussion on the fleet race regarding how hard the "slam dunk" maneuver is for multihulls and how Artemis got spit out the back on that one tack.

Given the slow turns, should they be pulling up the boards sooner to expedite? Are they not hauling in the jib fast enough? What else could they do?

Jay

Re: AC 45s at Plymouth [Re: waterbug_wpb] #237472
09/13/11 09:16 AM
09/13/11 09:16 AM
+31NL
Tony_F18 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Tony_F18  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

+31NL
China Team suffered a bit of damage to the wing, looks like the all jumped through it eek

[Linked Image]

Re: AC 45s at Plymouth [Re: waterbug_wpb] #237474
09/13/11 09:20 AM
09/13/11 09:20 AM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
I liked the discussion on the fleet race regarding how hard the "slam dunk" maneuver is for multihulls and how Artemis got spit out the back on that one tack.

Given the slow turns, should they be pulling up the boards sooner to expedite? Are they not hauling in the jib fast enough? What else could they do?

Artemis had a gear failure, that's why the passes looked so dramatic. They pulled the plug right then.
The speeds they are going and the height gained from the apparent wind makes the slam dunk with gains close to impossible.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: AC 45s at Plymouth [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #237476
09/13/11 09:28 AM
09/13/11 09:28 AM
Anacortes
Sloansailing Offline
Sloansailing  Offline

Anacortes
But did you see Spithill pull off a great lee bow on TNZ, only to have TNZ tack perfectly at the course boundary to stay in the lead (no penalty), and then loose it when they had to pass Artemis in said gear failure!?! Though they still could have stayed ahead if they didn't have such a crappy tack at the top mark. Anyone who still says the boats don't make good match racing is full of ****. The fact that it is difficult to tack the boats actually makes the racing more interesting, not less.

Anacortes Rigging.com
Rigging and Yacht Services
Re: AC 45s at Plymouth [Re: Timbo] #237491
09/13/11 11:11 AM
09/13/11 11:11 AM
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
bobcat Offline
addict
bobcat  Offline
addict

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
On the speed trial, the fast boat did 500 meters in 39 seconds, so...what's that in Knots?

Anybody got a calculator handy? Why don't they display the actual GPS speeds somewhere on the screen?

I thought I saw 37.48 seconds and this computed to 13.34 meters/second for 500 meters.

13.34 (meters / second) = 25.93 knots

Re: AC 45s at Plymouth [Re: bobcat] #237498
09/13/11 11:47 AM
09/13/11 11:47 AM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
Thanks!

And that was with the little jib...

Blade F16
Re: AC 45s at Plymouth [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #237503
09/13/11 12:43 PM
09/13/11 12:43 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever
Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb

Artemis had a gear failure, that's why the passes looked so dramatic. They pulled the plug right then.
The speeds they are going and the height gained from the apparent wind makes the slam dunk with gains close to impossible.

Yet, they keep trying it again and again. I was yelling at the screen when Oracle4 choose to tack instead of cross NZ just before they were able to use Artemis as a pick due to their breakage. The more efficient the boat, the less dirty air it leaves behind it and the less likely you are to sit on our opponent. Go for the cross and try to keep your nose clean to reserve starboard advantage the next time it counts.

Jake Kohl
Re: AC 45s at Plymouth [Re: Jake] #237508
09/13/11 12:52 PM
09/13/11 12:52 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

What's the "hobble" on the jib? The announcers kept referring to that as one of the reason several boats went over, or at least nearly over (the boats that flipped weren't able to release the jib because it was in the "hobble").

Again, the onboard mics were great. In the one capsize where they nearly saved it (except for the jib stuck in the "hobble"), you could hear someone on the boat saying, "We're OK, we're OK" as the bows came up and the boat rounded to weather. Of course, with the jib not being blown, it was only a matter of time before they went over...

As for their boat-on-boat tactics, it still amazes me that they even try for leebows or slam dunks. Especially after the completely disastrous "gybe to cover" in Portugal, you would think they would have realized by now that the speed of these boats is just not going to allow those sorts of maneuvers to pay, especially in the open water at the middle of the course. Maybe near a mark rounding. Maybe...

Mike

Re: AC 45s at Plymouth [Re: brucat] #237521
09/13/11 01:37 PM
09/13/11 01:37 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
I think this is the deal.
They are short a winch on those boats so when it comes time to Hoist( I think that's the task) the gennaker they blow off the jib sheet which has a line tied to the clew that limits the ease while they are hoisting the gennaker. That way it's not just flogging but still powering along a bit. problem comes when you need to ease past that point.

Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: AC 45s at Plymouth [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #237525
09/13/11 02:06 PM
09/13/11 02:06 PM
+31NL
Tony_F18 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Tony_F18  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

+31NL

Re: AC 45s at Plymouth [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #237526
09/13/11 02:14 PM
09/13/11 02:14 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

They are short a winch on those boats so when it comes time to Hoist( I think that's the task) the gennaker they blow off the jib sheet which has a line tied to the clew that limits the ease while they are hoisting the gennaker. That way it's not just flogging but still powering along a bit. problem comes when you need to ease past that point.

I hear what you're saying (and you're probably close), but I know I saw at least one boat raising the kite manually (same as on a F18, but with two guys pulling the halyard from the base of the mast). I was quite startled by this, and commented to my wife while we were watching: "Why are they doing that? They have winches on these boats!"

I didn't get anything from that clip above to explain the hobble...

EDIT: I just looked at dictionary.com, and while they don't list a sailing definition, the common definition (noun) has a variant that makes some sense in light of where you're going.

I'm sure they've be revisiting this as a good idea going forward...

As for the speed runs, I agree that it's awkward that they don't give a real-time speed, as well as max and average speeds at the end of the run. Not important to the goal, but fun nonetheless, and it's not like they have a shortage of instruments or data! I did like the red line showing the leader's pace as each successive boat went through the run.

Mike

Last edited by brucat; 09/13/11 02:25 PM.
Re: AC 45s at Plymouth [Re: brucat] #237527
09/13/11 02:45 PM
09/13/11 02:45 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by brucat

I hear what you're saying (and you're probably close), but I know I saw at least one boat raising the kite manually (same as on a F18, but with two guys pulling the halyard from the base of the mast). I was quite startled by this, and commented to my wife while we were watching: "Why are they doing that? They have winches on these boats!"

I didn't get anything from that clip above to explain the hobble...

EDIT: I just looked at dictionary.com, and while they don't list a sailing definition, the common definition (noun) has a variant that makes some sense in light of where you're going.

I'm sure they've be revisiting this as a good idea going forward...

As for the speed runs, I agree that it's awkward that they don't give a real-time speed, as well as max and average speeds at the end of the run. Not important to the goal, but fun nonetheless, and it's not like they have a shortage of instruments or data! I did like the red line showing the leader's pace as each successive boat went through the run.

Mike

It may be topping off the hoist or trim on the genny then, but somebody explained during the racing that some of the teams if not all used a tether/hobble because they were short one winch. When I get my turn (I wish) on an AC-45 I'll let you know for sure.

Isak Dinesen
E. B. White
Re: AC 45s at Plymouth [Re: Tony_F18] #237528
09/13/11 02:52 PM
09/13/11 02:52 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by Tony_F18

Structural hull damage.If they can fix everything by tomorrow's race start that will be incredible. I hope some onboard footage comes out of that after they analyze it. Sounds like it was pretty brutal.

Isak Dinesen
E. B. White
Re: AC 45s at Plymouth [Re: brucat] #237530
09/13/11 03:08 PM
09/13/11 03:08 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by brucat
What's the "hobble" on the jib? The announcers kept referring to that as one of the reason several boats went over, or at least nearly over (the boats that flipped weren't able to release the jib because it was in the "hobble").

Again, the onboard mics were great. In the one capsize where they nearly saved it (except for the jib stuck in the "hobble"), you could hear someone on the boat saying, "We're OK, we're OK" as the bows came up and the boat rounded to weather. Of course, with the jib not being blown, it was only a matter of time before they went over...

As for their boat-on-boat tactics, it still amazes me that they even try for leebows or slam dunks. Especially after the completely disastrous "gybe to cover" in Portugal, you would think they would have realized by now that the speed of these boats is just not going to allow those sorts of maneuvers to pay, especially in the open water at the middle of the course. Maybe near a mark rounding. Maybe...

Mike

I had assumed that "hobble" was the announcer's term for a winch but after looking it up (dictionary), I'm assuming it's a line used to limit the outward travel of the jib as someone else mentioned. Which could easily explain why it was such an issue if the hobble was too short.

Jake Kohl
Re: AC 45s at Plymouth [Re: Jake] #237533
09/13/11 04:43 PM
09/13/11 04:43 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Yeah, the term makes sense. The use of such a device/line on these boats in that breeze... not so much...

A simple fix would be to take the hobble line through a cleat so they could just blow it off (assuming someone can reach it when the boat is going sideways). Of course, without getting a better look at these boats up close, it's hard to say that they're not already set up this way, but they simply couldn't get it uncleated in time...

Mike

Re: AC 45s at Plymouth [Re: brucat] #237534
09/13/11 05:10 PM
09/13/11 05:10 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Or just put the right amount of winches on the boat to begin with.

Isak Dinesen
E. B. White
Re: AC 45s at Plymouth [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #237542
09/13/11 09:19 PM
09/13/11 09:19 PM
Detroit, MI
mbounds Offline
Pooh-Bah
mbounds  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Detroit, MI
Winches are heavy and come in pairs.

Even keelboats have gone on a "winch diet" in the last 30 years. A typical early '80s IOR boat was studded with them; modern keelboats replaced multiple winches with one servicing a row of rope clutches.

It doesn't make sense to add another set that would be used for only one maneuver. The hobble needs to be adjustable - and have the capability of being blown off pretty damn quick when things go sideways.

I did notice ETNZ and OR4 were letting the jib flog more on the bearaways than the other teams. The other teams will learn. Some faster than others.

Re: AC 45s at Plymouth [Re: mbounds] #237548
09/14/11 01:55 AM
09/14/11 01:55 AM
Australia
macca Offline
old hand
macca  Offline
old hand

Australia
you need the hobble so you can take the jib sheet off the winch and load the kite sheet onto it.

on the X40 we have a self tacker and a clutch so you still need to unload the winch exactly as the AC45's do, but we can still control the jib sheet via the clutch, so if in a bear away it all goes a bit wrong its still possible to ease.

The AC45's can have multiple clips on the hobble so you can have a short or long hobble setup pretty easy, but it takes a day like that to prompt such thoughts i guess..

Re: AC 45s at Plymouth [Re: macca] #237551
09/14/11 05:27 AM
09/14/11 05:27 AM
+31NL
Tony_F18 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Tony_F18  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

+31NL
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 384 guests, and 122 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022