Announcements
New Discussions
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Tradewinds and F16 Charters for Olympic Selection [Re: pitchpoledave] #241602
12/19/11 10:50 AM
12/19/11 10:50 AM
Detroit, MI
mbounds Offline
Pooh-Bah
mbounds  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Detroit, MI
Originally Posted by pitchpoledave
What you fail to mention is that they are doing this for a profit.

There is nothing wrong with that. My services to the Hobie Class are not completely free, although the hourly rate is well below minimum wage, and I'm certainly not making a living off of it.

I'm sure Jill and Robbie would be the first to tell you that they're not rolling in dough, either.

You want to make a small fortune in the marine business? Start with a large one.

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Tradewinds and F16 Charters for Olympic Selection [Re: RickWhite] #241603
12/19/11 11:11 AM
12/19/11 11:11 AM

X
xanderwess
Unregistered
xanderwess
Unregistered
X

I am glad you wanted to give a pat on the back to people that do what they do to help others in our universe. Its the negative toward the others that is the root of the flamming discussion here.

Re: Tradewinds and F16 Charters for Olympic Selection [Re: mbounds] #241605
12/19/11 11:16 AM
12/19/11 11:16 AM
Key Largo, FL and Put-in-Bay, ...
RickWhite Offline OP

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline OP

Carpal Tunnel

Key Largo, FL and Put-in-Bay, ...
"You want to make a small fortune in the marine business? Start with a large one."

If you do, you will just lose it all! smirk

Red Gear IS doing a lot to help out at the Tradewinds and will definitely be advertised on the TShirts, even though they did not ask to be included.
Rick

Rick White
Catsailor Magazine & OnLineMarineStore.com
www.onlinemarinestore.com
Re: Tradewinds and F16 Charters for Olympic Selection [Re: ] #241607
12/19/11 11:36 AM
12/19/11 11:36 AM
Gulf Coast relocated from Cali...
TeamChums Offline
veteran
TeamChums  Offline
veteran

Its the negative toward the others that is the root of the flamming discussion here

Agreed, I do wish I left that part out.

Lee

Keyboard sailors are always faster in all conditions.
Re: Tradewinds and F16 Charters for Olympic Selection [Re: TeamChums] #241608
12/19/11 11:55 AM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by TeamChums
Its the negative toward the others that is the root of the flamming discussion here

Agreed, I do wish I left that part out.

WUSS!

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Tradewinds and F16 Charters for Olympic Selection [Re: RickWhite] #241609

X
xanderwess
Unregistered
xanderwess
Unregistered
X

We'll live. I just want to move forward with multihull involvement (youth and adults alike) especially when the iron is HOT with all this big boat stuff going on. We need to all work together to build up the Multihull involvment and then the rest will take care of itself. The US vs. Them stuff needs to be put on the back burner for a few years (or forever) so we can get people's perception of sailing as NOT an elitist sport where we wear Topsiders and Lacoste shirts on the boats. People need to be thinking about sailing as beach stuff, thats fast, fun (dangerous) and relatively inexpensive.
Have a great holiday,
cw

Re: Tradewinds and F16 Charters for Olympic Selection [Re: ] #241610
12/19/11 12:06 PM
12/19/11 12:06 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by xanderwess
We'll live. I just want to move forward with multihull involvement (youth and adults alike) especially when the iron is HOT with all this big boat stuff going on. We need to all work together to build up the Multihull involvment and then the rest will take care of itself. The US vs. Them stuff needs to be put on the back burner for a few years (or forever) so we can get people's perception of sailing as NOT an elitist sport where we wear Topsiders and Lacoste shirts on the boats. People need to be thinking about sailing as beach stuff, thats fast, fun (dangerous) and relatively inexpensive.
Have a great holiday,
cw

And you don't see Hobie (corporate ,racers, etc) propagating the us vs. them attitude at all do you, it's everybody else. The air must be pretty thin upon that lofty perch.

Same old players ,same old sh!t.

Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Tradewinds and F16 Charters for Olympic Selection [Re: RickWhite] #241611
12/19/11 12:16 PM
12/19/11 12:16 PM
SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
HMurphey Offline
addict
HMurphey  Offline
addict

SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
Gentlemen, Gentlemen, Gentlemen ....

Now, as the "fool that just asked the question" ... can the multihull youths be allowed to compete in the local Junior Olympic's ....

Yes, from my PERSONAL experience ... Red Gear Racing, Hobie Class Assoc of North America and the Hobie Cat Co ... or if you prefer ... the Hobie Cat Co, Hobie Class Assoc of North America and Red Gear Racing all have been "stepping up" and have been actively helping develope the next generation of Youth Sailors ....

OOooopppsss ... thats my phone ringing ... hold on a sec ... Hello ... yes ... yes ... yes ... THAT"S GREAT !!!!!! FANTASTIC NEWS !!!!!

!!!! MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT !!!!

Ladies and Gentlemen .... WE HAVE JUST RECIEVED PERMISSION TO USE "THE ANNAPOLIS SAILING SCHOOL'S" FACILITY AS A LAUNCH BEACH FOR THE 2012 CBYRA'S JUNIOR OLYMPIC FESTIVAL and HOBIE CLASS ASSOC of NORTH AMERICA's JUNIOR CHAMPIONSHIP !!!!!!

... and that phone call was from "Mark Schnieder" (Mr "CRAC" ...)... the manager of Annapolis Saling School, who said yes, is Jason Pinder and is related to Sue and Tom Korz (FLEET 204 ... 204 ... 204 ....)

... so this is NOT about "Open" vs "Hobie" .... this is for the KIDS ... (or if you prefer "the UTES" ...)

NOW ... my challenge to all you out there is make a "Youth Multihull" Class happen in your local/regional Junior Olympics ...

Harry Murphey

Last edited by HMurphey; 12/19/11 12:21 PM.
Re: Tradewinds and F16 Charters for Olympic Selection [Re: RickWhite] #241612
12/19/11 12:19 PM
12/19/11 12:19 PM

X
xanderwess
Unregistered
xanderwess
Unregistered
X

Nice generalization. Got any hard examples that I am unaware of? Same old players.....Same old sh!t is right. Nice flame job. And its not everybody else....just a few. (I guess you'd be one of the few with that hatchet job.....)

Re: Tradewinds and F16 Charters for Olympic Selection [Re: RickWhite] #241615
12/19/11 12:24 PM
12/19/11 12:24 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Wow. I thought the Steeplechase/Tradewinds discussion was a train wreck...

Guys, I know sailing season is (mostly) over, but are we this bored already?

Go out, do some shopping, string up some lights, sit on Santa's lap, get a stripper dressed as an elf to sit on your lap, ANYTHING!!! Just step away from the computer and try to be nice for a few weeks!

Mike

Re: Tradewinds and F16 Charters for Olympic Selection [Re: ] #241617
12/19/11 12:27 PM
12/19/11 12:27 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
<****. The "them" didn't make this stuff up. If Hobie makes people feel that things have to be divisive, then maybe some re-thinking needs to be done. Your last post has 6 sentences and 5 of them are pointing a finger , while your previous post said we all need to get along. Bi-polar much?

Mike ,
You're right, you can sure tell winter is here.

Isak Dinesen
E. B. White
Re: Tradewinds and F16 Charters for Olympic Selection [Re: ] #241619
12/19/11 12:46 PM
12/19/11 12:46 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Yea, its kind of hilarious. Ho friggin' ho.
One of these days, hopefully we'll figure out what it is we need to do to make everyone happy.

+1

Isak Dinesen
E. B. White
Re: Tradewinds and F16 Charters for Olympic Selection [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #241620
12/19/11 01:02 PM
12/19/11 01:02 PM
TeamChums Offline
veteran
TeamChums  Offline
veteran

Thanks for carrying the torch Todd. I know I pussed out but my original post on the subject wasn't to take a jab at Hobie but to give a little pat on the back to Red Gear Racing. In re-reading it, I can see that I did without realizing it. I guess it's a conditioned action.
My offer to volunteer even at Hobie only events still stems from the feelings that "it's good to see cats on the beach", regardless if they're predjudice towards other makes. If I still offer my services and boat, I hope I can keep my mouth shut after a few pulls off the rum bottle.
What I do find funny is that HCA, in thier infinite wisdom, shut the door on themselves to one of the best beach cat sailing areas in North America by saying "no more open class boats at Hobie events". That place being Galveston, Tx. Division 6 came back with "We'll keep going with busniess as usual since attendance numbers are on the rise and we can do this on our own. That's where TCDYC stepped in and started running all the races at the Dike and Div 6 does mostly Canyon Lake.
A small group of sailors who frequent the Surfside Beach area started organizing a few social events (like Hobie Cat used to) and called themselves "Surfside Sailing". They started a little message board and have a nice website like TCDYC does. Most of the groups pretty much intermingle. Hobie contacted the Surfside group with an offer to invite them to be Hobie Fleet 33 but only a "Social, non racing Fleet", so that all boats were welcome. They did this, which is great. Now HCA wants Fleet 33 to put on a National Event in Galveston. Kind of like getting kicked out of a bar then sneeking in through the back door cause you still want to party.
Maybe this is HCA's olive branch and they want to be more involved with Beach Cat sailing altogether and not be as exclusive, I hope so.

Lee

Re: Tradewinds and F16 Charters for Olympic Selection [Re: RickWhite] #241621
12/19/11 01:06 PM
12/19/11 01:06 PM

X
xanderwess
Unregistered
xanderwess
Unregistered
X

Todd, I don't want to argue with you about this stuff. I have been working my butt off over the years to break down the walls that I did not put up. (that doesn't change the fact that the Hobie 'edict' exists and mostly can't change)
I just want you to know that we are working constantly to build the 'sport', not just our brand (within the confines of what we're able to do)
I understand sore feeling over the years, I wish it wasn't the case. Little to do but keep pushing forward.
Fleet 33: I spent my entire teen years sneaking into bars.
The reason to have a big Hobie event in South Texas? Its an awesome place to go and have a regatta. Most of the 16 people that are not from there wouldn't go there otherwise, so hense the reason its being discussed. Don't want to step on anyones toes (TCD) and would plan this just because it should be done. Wow, you really are up on what's going on.........

Last edited by xanderwess; 12/19/11 01:13 PM.
Re: Tradewinds and F16 Charters for Olympic Selection [Re: ] #241622
12/19/11 01:25 PM
12/19/11 01:25 PM
Northfield Mn
Karl_Brogger Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Karl_Brogger  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Northfield Mn
Karl, don't make me come up there. smile

Bring it b!tch! I'll slap you stupid with my Topsiders, and choke you to death with my Lacoste shirt.

Terrorist.

I'm boatless.
Re: Tradewinds and F16 Charters for Olympic Selection [Re: HMurphey] #241623
12/19/11 01:26 PM
12/19/11 01:26 PM
Maryland
Kris Hathaway Offline
addict
Kris Hathaway  Offline
addict

Maryland
Originally Posted by HMurphey
!!!! MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT !!!!
Ladies and Gentlemen .... WE HAVE JUST RECIEVED PERMISSION TO USE "THE ANNAPOLIS SAILING SCHOOL'S" FACILITY AS A LAUNCH BEACH FOR THE 2012 CBYRA'S JUNIOR OLYMPIC FESTIVAL and HOBIE CLASS ASSOC of NORTH AMERICA's JUNIOR CHAMPIONSHIP !!!!!!

Annapolis Sailing School is A-1 in my book. I am racing today because they got my parents involved in sailing back in the 70's. They have stepped up in recent years by allowing beachcats to land there for the Annapolis-Galesville race.

Kris Hathaway
Re: Tradewinds and F16 Charters for Olympic Selection [Re: RickWhite] #241624
12/19/11 01:36 PM
12/19/11 01:36 PM

X
xanderwess
Unregistered
xanderwess
Unregistered
X

Karl- You'd be the only one I know that could fall out of that huge shitkicker truck of yours with a pair of designer jeans on and a flannel shirt. You certainly are 'Redneck Metro' if there ever was such a thing.

Re: Tradewinds and F16 Charters for Olympic Selection [Re: ] #241625
12/19/11 01:44 PM
12/19/11 01:44 PM
TeamChums Offline
veteran
TeamChums  Offline
veteran

I don't think it would be stepping on anyones toes. I hope it actually happens. Like I said, cats on the beach are a good thing.

Lee

Re: Tradewinds and F16 Charters for Olympic Selection [Re: TeamChums] #241626
12/19/11 01:52 PM
12/19/11 01:52 PM

X
xanderwess
Unregistered
xanderwess
Unregistered
X

We don't want any alienation of the local establishment. Coming into a predominately multi-class multihull area with a Hobie 16 only event will most likely raise the ire of some, but hopefully not many. We are working on a few other things before we move to much further with this event, but its my intention to try to put it together for fall of '13.
Floyd and his guys with Hobie Fleet 33 are in it for a good time, and I don't want to stress them out over this.

Re: Tradewinds and F16 Charters for Olympic Selection [Re: brucat] #241628
12/19/11 02:02 PM
12/19/11 02:02 PM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted by brucat
Wow. I thought the Steeplechase/Tradewinds discussion was a train wreck...

Guys, I know sailing season is (mostly) over, but are we this bored already?

Go out, do some shopping, string up some lights, sit on Santa's lap, get a stripper dressed as an elf to sit on your lap, ANYTHING!!! Just step away from the computer and try to be nice for a few weeks!

Mike

Down here our sailing season starts at Tradewinds! Since you're the USS guy I'll put this question to you, but on another thread...

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 306 guests, and 108 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022