05/11/12 05:33 AM
Greenville SC
bacho Offline
old hand
bacho  Offline
old hand

Greenville SC
Originally Posted by JJ_

In conditions like that maybe a mast float should be a requirement.

Why, I think turtleing the boat would have been a good idea as soon as his crew got free and was becoming separated.

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Cool Video of H16 in Miami-Key Largo Race [Re: bacho] #248137
05/11/12 06:53 AM
05/11/12 06:53 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by bacho
Originally Posted by JJ_

Why, I think turtleing the boat would have been a good idea as soon as his crew got free and was becoming separated.

That might have been a PlanB ... but, if the boat was already oriented with the mast pointing into the wind, I'm not sure if he could have spun or turtled the boat intentionally at that point.

Jake Kohl
Re: Cool Video of H16 in Miami-Key Largo Race [Re: bacho] #248138
05/11/12 07:31 AM
05/11/12 07:31 AM
JJ_ Offline
enthusiast
JJ_  Offline
enthusiast

Originally Posted by JJ_

I assume that the crew would not have gotten separated if he did not have to worry about righting the boat, and preventing a turtle.

To not have to worry about turtling would have given him time to get her on the boat, and the harness fixed at least temporarily. If you have to turtle a boat, then carry pliers and either take a pin out or cut the shroud. I got a nice pair of linesman pliers. At that point, though, it's really Plan B, as Jake said.

To stop these kinds of "cascade"/"slippery slope" series of problems takes a couple of minutes to pause in a calm, safe place and get things back in order. I have heard it said often: If the boat capsizes, don't let go of it.

That said, how could he have gotten the boat to stay into the wind in those kinds of conditions and taken a look at the rudder?

Re: Cool Video of H16 in Miami-Key Largo Race [Re: JJ_] #248139
05/11/12 07:32 AM
05/11/12 07:32 AM

M
MN3
Unregistered
MN3
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by JJ_
I don't understand why race organizers didn't bail...

I am sorry but those conditions did not look that bad. what was the wind range that day?

Last edited by MN3; 05/11/12 07:35 AM.
Re: Cool Video of H16 in Miami-Key Largo Race [Re: ] #248149
05/11/12 10:10 AM
05/11/12 10:10 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by MN3
Originally Posted by JJ_

I am sorry but those conditions did not look that bad. what was the wind range that day?

Gusts to 30 or better.

Jake Kohl
Re: Cool Video of H16 in Miami-Key Largo Race [Re: JJ_] #248150
05/11/12 10:13 AM
05/11/12 10:13 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by JJ_
Originally Posted by JJ_

I assume that the crew would not have gotten separated if he did not have to worry about righting the boat, and preventing a turtle.

To not have to worry about turtling would have given him time to get her on the boat, and the harness fixed at least temporarily. If you have to turtle a boat, then carry pliers and either take a pin out or cut the shroud. I got a nice pair of linesman pliers. At that point, though, it's really Plan B, as Jake said.

To stop these kinds of "cascade"/"slippery slope" series of problems takes a couple of minutes to pause in a calm, safe place and get things back in order. I have heard it said often: If the boat capsizes, don't let go of it.

That said, how could he have gotten the boat to stay into the wind in those kinds of conditions and taken a look at the rudder?

I've had the boat capsized and the rudder arm kicked over on the I20 once (it was a similar kind of day). I couldn't get the arms flipped back while the boat was on it's side. That's why I expect to tie a small piece of bunji from the rear beam to the rudder arms (dangling loose) to keep them from flipping over next time I'm expecting any weather like that.

Jake Kohl
Re: Cool Video of H16 in Miami-Key Largo Race [Re: RickWhite] #248152
05/11/12 10:14 AM
05/11/12 10:14 AM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Cancelling a race is the most difficult decision to ever make. You'll never please everyone (especially Hobie 16 sailors) unless it's solidly over 30 knots.

Gusts to 30 knots at this event? I know that's what he said on youtube, but has that been confirmed somewhere?

It never looks as windy in the video or pics as it feels at the time.

Most sailors ALWAYS over-estimate the wind speeds in anything over 10 knots. Really good sailors, anything over 15.

I have to stop watching that video. I just saw that another boat sailed by while he was alone and capsized. Of course, they may have been the ones to go and get help from the Sea Tow boat?

Mike

Re: Cool Video of H16 in Miami-Key Largo Race [Re: brucat] #248155
05/11/12 10:35 AM
05/11/12 10:35 AM
Northfield Mn
Karl_Brogger Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Karl_Brogger  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Northfield Mn
Originally Posted by brucat
I have to stop watching that video.

Numerous statements of that nature is what kinda pisses me off about this thread. You're getting uncomfortable watching a video? Holy bleeding hearts Batman! We've all done similar things, and we've all risked our butts being dumb in different sports and lived to tell about it. I was a total wild butt on a motorcycle back in the day. Triple digit lane splitting while riding wheelies? AWESOME! Would I do it again? f*ck no.

So while some of you chastise their experience, and get all wishy washy at the sight of a trap line wrapped around a leg, I bet that chick is a little better at falling off the boat next time. Which doesn't mean squat, I still get wrapped up in stuff occasionally in a capsize, just like probably anybody else.

You don't learn anything unless you push yourself. Humans, like almost all animals, learn the best through pain. Whether physical, or emotional, we tend to avoid those experiences that make us uncomfortable once we have. Depending on the personality they'll come back for more, or they'll do something else. These guys didn't push themselves too far, (don't argue that with me, they lived), but they probably came close to the edge. I doubt that's even a reality for them yet, but same day it will be, and they might look back and go, "damn, I'm lucky I made it out of that", or.... They learn from it, and go "damn, that was fun, and I dragged a lot of useful info out of that.

There is nothing wrong with risking your life in the name of entertainment if you choose to do so. If you're not of the adrenaline junky type and you don't want to drowned, either grow gills or stay off the water. Don't want to freeze to death in a crevasse, don't climb mountains. Don't want to go "SPLAT" when you hit the ground at 300mph, don't jump out of airplanes. Don't want to get ripped in half by a telephone pole, don't crash a motorcycle at a high rate of speed. It ain't rocket surgery.

I'm boatless.
Re: Cool Video of H16 in Miami-Key Largo Race [Re: RickWhite] #248156
05/11/12 10:41 AM
05/11/12 10:41 AM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Get over yourself, you obviously missed my last (long) post on the last page.

Mike

Last edited by brucat; 05/11/12 10:41 AM.
Re: Cool Video of H16 in Miami-Key Largo Race [Re: brucat] #248157
05/11/12 10:45 AM
05/11/12 10:45 AM
Northfield Mn
Karl_Brogger Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Karl_Brogger  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Northfield Mn
Get over yourself, you obviously missed my last (long) post on the last page.

Mike

Screw you Mike. you're not the only one whining like a bitch on this.

I'm boatless.
Re: Cool Video of H16 in Miami-Key Largo Race [Re: RickWhite] #248160
05/11/12 11:05 AM
05/11/12 11:05 AM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

So eloquent, as always Karl...

I may not be the only one discussing it, but you did aim your last barb directly at me by quoting my post.

Mike

Re: Cool Video of H16 in Miami-Key Largo Race [Re: RickWhite] #248161
05/11/12 11:13 AM
05/11/12 11:13 AM
Northfield Mn
Karl_Brogger Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Karl_Brogger  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Northfield Mn
Eloquence is for Shakespeare, Plato, and Thoreau.

Yours was the easiest quote.

Here's a question for you Mike. Would you rather have returned to the beach that day, and have no idea what would've happened, and what you would have gleaned from that experience? Or would you have done it again?

I bet it was one of those defining moments for you.

I'm boatless.
Re: Cool Video of H16 in Miami-Key Largo Race [Re: RickWhite] #248162
05/11/12 11:27 AM
05/11/12 11:27 AM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Well, we're a little different, and that's OK...

Yes, I really wish I would have gotten back to shore on that day without being stuck out overnight and losing a beautiful boat in the process.

While you are correct that I probably wouldn't have as quickly learned how important a wetsuit and VHF are, I think there are much better ways to learn what I did that night...

Mike

Re: Cool Video of H16 in Miami-Key Largo Race [Re: Jake] #248164
05/11/12 11:35 AM
05/11/12 11:35 AM

M
MN3
Unregistered
MN3
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by Jake
Originally Posted by MN3
Originally Posted by JJ_

Gusts to 30 or better.

wow the lack of white-caps and big breaking waves made me think much less...

Re: Cool Video of H16 in Miami-Key Largo Race [Re: RickWhite] #248165
05/11/12 11:38 AM
05/11/12 11:38 AM
South Florida
joeyg Offline
journeyman
joeyg  Offline
journeyman

South Florida
Thats because it was on Biscayne Bay which is very protected.

After all, its not easy, banging your head against some mad buggers wall.
Re: Cool Video of H16 in Miami-Key Largo Race [Re: ] #248169
05/11/12 11:50 AM
05/11/12 11:50 AM
tampa, fl
K
ksurfer2 Offline
old hand
ksurfer2  Offline
old hand
K

tampa, fl
Originally Posted by MN3
Originally Posted by Jake
Originally Posted by MN3
Originally Posted by JJ_

Gusts to 30 or better.

wow the lack of white-caps and big breaking waves made me think much less...

I have spoken with several people who did the race this year on a wide range of different boat. Breeze of 30+ was the concensus.

If your havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
I got 99 problems but my beautiful wife ain't one
Re: Cool Video of H16 in Miami-Key Largo Race [Re: RickWhite] #248171
05/11/12 11:54 AM
05/11/12 11:54 AM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Sure would be nice to have instrument (buoy) data...

Mike

Re: Cool Video of H16 in Miami-Key Largo Race [Re: Karl_Brogger] #248172
05/11/12 01:02 PM
05/11/12 01:02 PM
JJ_ Offline
enthusiast
JJ_  Offline
enthusiast

There is nothing wrong with risking your life in the name of entertainment if you choose to do so.
Classic. Sounds like a hockey match.

Re: Cool Video of H16 in Miami-Key Largo Race [Re: RickWhite] #248176
05/11/12 03:58 PM
05/11/12 03:58 PM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
Hey, sky divers do it every time they jump out of a perfectly good airplane!

Oh, and they pay a lot of money to jump out of that airplane!

But hey, what could go wrong...?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpTXniXQe-Q

Blade F16
Re: Cool Video of H16 in Miami-Key Largo Race [Re: Karl_Brogger] #248183
05/11/12 06:01 PM
05/11/12 06:01 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by Karl_Brogger
I have to stop watching that video.

Numerous statements of that nature is what kinda pisses me off about this thread. You're getting uncomfortable watching a video? Holy bleeding hearts Batman! We've all done similar things, and we've all risked our butts being dumb in different sports and lived to tell about it. I was a total wild butt on a motorcycle back in the day. Triple digit lane splitting while riding wheelies? AWESOME! Would I do it again? f*ck no.

So while some of you chastise their experience, and get all wishy washy at the sight of a trap line wrapped around a leg, I bet that chick is a little better at falling off the boat next time. Which doesn't mean squat, I still get wrapped up in stuff occasionally in a capsize, just like probably anybody else.

You don't learn anything unless you push yourself. Humans, like almost all animals, learn the best through pain. Whether physical, or emotional, we tend to avoid those experiences that make us uncomfortable once we have. Depending on the personality they'll come back for more, or they'll do something else. These guys didn't push themselves too far, (don't argue that with me, they lived), but they probably came close to the edge. I doubt that's even a reality for them yet, but same day it will be, and they might look back and go, "damn, I'm lucky I made it out of that", or.... They learn from it, and go "damn, that was fun, and I dragged a lot of useful info out of that.

There is nothing wrong with risking your life in the name of entertainment if you choose to do so. If you're not of the adrenaline junky type and you don't want to drowned, either grow gills or stay off the water. Don't want to freeze to death in a crevasse, don't climb mountains. Don't want to go "SPLAT" when you hit the ground at 300mph, don't jump out of airplanes. Don't want to get ripped in half by a telephone pole, don't crash a motorcycle at a high rate of speed. It ain't rocket surgery.

The most sensible post in this thread and it came from K2/ Booger , who'da thunk it.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 431 guests, and 84 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022