Announcements
New Discussions
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Uni vs 2-up.. Who have the racing advantage, and why? [Re: waynemarlow] #252782
09/27/12 06:25 AM
09/27/12 06:25 AM
Bob_Curry Offline
old hand
Bob_Curry  Offline
old hand

I think it is time I chimed in on this because I have a lot of "t-shirts" on these uni issues.

Fairness: Once the wind goes over 6kts, the 2-up config has the advantage. 6kts and below they are even with a slight advantage to the uni.

Weed Control: Advantage is huge for the 2-up.

I see it is finally being hashed out on the possibility of a uni-only class breakout. It is not defeat but a full realization of what is the reality of the situation. By offering 2 classes competing against like setups, IMO, you may increase attendance. If the crew situation flopped, you still can race with the other uni boats. I would not like going to a regatta as a uni knowing I will not trophy. By separating, sailors looking for a new class (like me!) will see the F16 class as a more viable option. Again, that is just my opinion. Like Wayne said, kudos to the original group.

Bob wink

"The election is over, the talking is done, Your party lost, my party won. So let us be friends, let arguments pass, I’ll hug my elephant, you kiss you’re a $$.”
Liberalism = A brain eating amoeba & a failed political ideology of the 20th century!
--Advertisement--
Re: Uni vs 2-up.. Who have the racing advantage, and why? [Re: waynemarlow] #252785
09/27/12 07:05 AM
09/27/12 07:05 AM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
Originally Posted by waynemarlow

Do we simply admit defeat and just accept that F16 comps in the future are going to be dual only crews ? The downside to that is not everyone can get crews, all of the time. You eliminate a proportion of prospective class owners straight off. The upside is that class rules can be harmonised with the likes of the F18's and simply be considered as a youth, ladies and light weights feeder to Olympic F17 and F18 classes.

Is it time the Uni's set up a proper spinny boat class in their own right, a semi development A Class perhaps? It would be a shame as we have gone so far in such a short time but it maybe the only way to deal with the problems within our own rules and the present handicap issues being raised of the lighter weight Uni boats.

Nope. We don't have enough Uni's over here to have a consistant showing at anything other than a Major regatta, ie. Nationals or Tradewinds. We set the rule "Uni/Sloop race as equal" for Flexablitly. I don't want to change that. There are some times I have crew, sometimes I don't. But if I ALWAYS have to have crew to race in the F16 class, I'll sell it and get an A cat, and leave my kids at home alone...on Facebook.

We are already "Harmonized" with the F18's, not that that is an issue. At Tradewinds last January they very successfully used the F16's for the Junior Olympic gig. I was there, I don't think there was anyone racing Uni, but nobody was bitching about it either.

I do not want to lose the flexability of being able to race Uni in a mostly Sloop fleet. If we have about 10+ Uni's show up, we could as a group, discuss it and have a vote, decided if we want a separate start, and see if the RC will give it to us, or just race with the sloops and give out our own Top Uni prize, ie. a bottle of something tasty.

The Uni Only thing has only worked in the A cats and Waves, and never caught on with the Nacra F17. I think the lack of flexability to run either Uni or Sloop, is what killed it. What made the F16 class grow rapidly is the FLEXABILITY to run in either configuration. Right now, there is no outcry from any Uni guys, and I'm one of them, to "Fix" anything.

It's NOT broke!

Leave it alone.

Blade F16
Re: Uni vs 2-up.. Who have the racing advantage, and why? [Re: Rolf_Nilsen] #252786
09/27/12 07:08 AM
09/27/12 07:08 AM
+31NL
Tony_F18 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Tony_F18  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

+31NL
No matter how smart you rig your boat, I dont think there are any technical ways to offset the uni disadvantage.

Some things that might work IMHO:
-Select major venues based on light winds.
-Excempt uni sailors from paying entry fees.
-Have a separate trophy for uni's.
-Reduce the number of laps to two per race, but maybe have longer legs
-Let uni's start 5 min earlier.
-Find crew
-Practice
-Practice some more
-Buy an A-cat wink

Re: Uni vs 2-up.. Who have the racing advantage, and why? [Re: Rolf_Nilsen] #252787
09/27/12 07:40 AM
09/27/12 07:40 AM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
OR...let the Uni's run their Jibs if they want to.

And for Bob Curry, buy an F16 and increase our Uni Racer numbers. We need to get 'critical Uni mass' to get a separate start.

But, I would prefer to have a Sloop/Uni combined start, then hand out separate trophys for Uni's.

Blade F16
Re: Uni vs 2-up.. Who have the racing advantage, and why? [Re: waynemarlow] #252789
09/27/12 08:26 AM
09/27/12 08:26 AM
Toronto, Ontario
pitchpoledave Offline
old hand
pitchpoledave  Offline
old hand

Toronto, Ontario
Originally Posted by waynemarlow
There are a number of problems with trying to compete as equals within our class rules and as far as they stand at the moment, then there is probably no chance of returning to equal status of Uni and Dual, despite the best efforts of the guys who originally set the rules up ( which they did as best as they knew at the time ).

Do we simply admit defeat and just accept that F16 comps in the future are going to be dual only crews ? The downside to that is not everyone can get crews, all of the time. You eliminate a proportion of prospective class owners straight off. The upside is that class rules can be harmonised with the likes of the F18's and simply be considered as a youth, ladies and light weights feeder to Olympic F17 and F18 classes.

Is it time the Uni's set up a proper spinny boat class in their own right, a semi development A Class perhaps? It would be a shame as we have gone so far in such a short time but it maybe the only way to deal with the problems within our own rules and the present handicap issues being raised of the lighter weight Uni boats.

Yes.

The local club races can still be done level if they want but the reality is these are 2 separate classes.

Re: Uni vs 2-up.. Who have the racing advantage, and why? [Re: Timbo] #252792
09/27/12 09:07 AM
09/27/12 09:07 AM
West coast of Norway
Rolf_Nilsen Offline OP

Carpal Tunnel
Rolf_Nilsen  Offline OP

Carpal Tunnel

West coast of Norway
Originally Posted by Timbo
OR...let the Uni's run their Jibs if they want to.

I understand how any discussion on change is a very tender subject. There is both an emotional and real investment in money and time here so I am trying to be respectful on this topic.

Wayne mentioned a reduced size blade jib for uni sailors. This will make tacks a bit easier for uni sailors. Perhaps also help with speed upwind but add complexity. It will not help with mark roundings but perhaps allow uni sailplans to be more equal with two up when the wind increases becouse of lower point of effort?

Tony, I can not wait to get on the water and train hard again smile

Re: Uni vs 2-up.. Who have the racing advantage, and why? [Re: pitchpoledave] #252793
09/27/12 09:08 AM
09/27/12 09:08 AM
W
waynemarlow Offline
old hand
waynemarlow  Offline
old hand
W

I think the poll is pretty now established where the final outcome will be, that as things stand, the Uni's are disadvantaged contrary to F16 class rules and the likes of SCHRS handicaps.

Now human nature being what it is, we all want to win, whether we admit to that or not, after all we are attending a competition and being a competition, we really want to win if we can.

Is the F16 ideal " broke " I don't think so, the whole concept of the class still stands, that of putting solo against dual, that of being a class for lighter weight all up crew weights. Its not the concept giving problems, its the modern day interpretation.

When the class was established a 5 metre length of boat would only have x speed, constrained by water length and RM dipping the hulls causing water drag. Hence the original calculations predicting that by simply dropping the jib would equalise the additional weight of the crew.

12 years on sail technology and hull design has changed those parameters and the original calculations are no longer valid. Perhaps Wouter should have a rerun on the calculator with what we know today and give us some views smile

Re: Uni vs 2-up.. Who have the racing advantage, and why? [Re: Rolf_Nilsen] #252794
09/27/12 09:10 AM
09/27/12 09:10 AM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'd definitely like to see Bob Curry on a F16. Top ranked sailors are one thing the Unis have always been short of.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: Uni vs 2-up.. Who have the racing advantage, and why? [Re: pgp] #252797
09/27/12 09:41 AM
09/27/12 09:41 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
I am interested in the F16 class for just that very flexibility we are discussing. I can show to an event (local, regional, etc) and sail if I want to under either configuration.

Only have one day and no crew for a sail? I'll be sailing

Light air or crew plans fell through? I'll be sailing

Medium air with or without crew? I'll be sailing

Heavy air & crew available (either planned crew or pick up another uni skipper)? I'm sailing

Sure, if it's a big event (nationals, etc) I'd plan ahead and train up with crew for a 2-up showing, but anything else (besides a distance race where 2-up increases safety factor) I have flexibility to get out and SAIL, which will almost always improve my skillset even if I don't walk out with a pickle dish (I prefer brag flags, but whatever)

And Tim - the concept of an "in-house recognition" of the fastest uni sailor in a combined fleet makes more sense than trying to put a sub-handicap system in place. Don't give the RC/PRO any more work than absolutely necessary...

Jay

Re: Uni vs 2-up.. Who have the racing advantage, and why? [Re: Rolf_Nilsen] #252799
09/27/12 10:12 AM
09/27/12 10:12 AM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
Well that's exactly why I got into the F16 class in the first place Jay, and I don't see a problem so...

Exactly what are we trying to "Fix" anyway?

Maybe all we really need to do is to add 3 trophies at major regattas, for the top 3 Uni's?

Simple enough? There! Problem Fixed.

Now, can we talk about adding wing masts and foiling L boards please??

;^)

(that's a joke, just in case anyone thought I was serious)

Blade F16
Re: Uni vs 2-up.. Who have the racing advantage, and why? [Re: Rolf_Nilsen] #252802
09/27/12 11:06 AM
09/27/12 11:06 AM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I thought your rum solution was spot on.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: Uni vs 2-up.. Who have the racing advantage, and why? [Re: Timbo] #252804
09/27/12 11:34 AM
09/27/12 11:34 AM
W
waynemarlow Offline
old hand
waynemarlow  Offline
old hand
W

Timbo, you may not be too worried that you won't win at a competition, but I can assure you there are plenty who would be.

Let me ask a basic question to you, if you were in front by 50 yards of the fleet at the first mark, would you try and prevent the other 20 duals from passing you on the next leg ?

Re: Uni vs 2-up.. Who have the racing advantage, and why? [Re: Rolf_Nilsen] #252810
09/27/12 01:38 PM
09/27/12 01:38 PM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
Of course I would, but if we were racing in two different fleets, ie. a Sloop fleet and a Uni fleet, and I'm Uni, and they are sloops, I wouldn't get too upset about it.

Here's a better example:

I'm in first place at A mark, I hold a small lead downwind, but then at the C gate, there are 4 of us coming in fast, me and 3 sloops all closing in on each other. But while I'm snuffing and downhauling and mast rotating, and putting the boards down and...oh yeah, steering and trimming and trapping, they all pass me.

Now I have to chase them upwind, maybe I get a lucky shift, catch a couple, hold my place downwind, and at the gate the same thing happens again, getting passed by the guys who have a crew to snuff.

I usually lose boats at the snuff.

Blade F16
Re: Uni vs 2-up.. Who have the racing advantage, and why? [Re: Timbo] #252829
09/28/12 04:50 AM
09/28/12 04:50 AM
W
waynemarlow Offline
old hand
waynemarlow  Offline
old hand
W

And that is exactly my point, if the solos are faster upwind by say 50 - 100 metres each upwind leg, then we get good exciting fair racing between both solos and duals. What we loose in raising and snuffing the spinny, we gain on the next upwind leg.

The upside is that we have one startline of good numbers, a choice of whether one wants to solo or dual, and one winner, that to me was what the class ideals were right from the start.

Re: Uni vs 2-up.. Who have the racing advantage, and why? [Re: Rolf_Nilsen] #252832
09/28/12 06:50 AM
09/28/12 06:50 AM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
We have good excting racing every time we go out, regardless of what shows up, Uni or Sloop. Some people can't handle the fact that a good Uni sailor is going to beat a poor Sloop team, and vice versa, so they place the "Blame" for a poor result on their configuration.

In the end I think it still comes down to who's driving (and/or crewing), no matter the configuration.

To have a real 'test' of boat configuration, I think you would have to get 10 identical boats, rig 5 as Uni, 5 as sloop, then get the top 10 skipper/crews in the world, and then race them side by side, rotating boats after each race, etc. Like the Alter Cup used to be, but with a mix of 5 Uni and 5 Sloops.

At the end of the regatta, if every sloop beat every Uni, in every race, then we could say the Uni is definately slower, but until we have that kind of proof, I think it still comes down to who is sailing it.

I'm not going to worry about it, I go out to have fun. It stops being fun when people start crying about how they got beaten by a configuration, vs. sailing technique.

Look at any A cat or F18 race. There are guys who finish way out front, and guys who are last. You can't blame the Uni/sloop for that. There is no way all boats are going to start and finish together, side by side. The difference between the starting line and finish possition is part luck (wind shifts) but mostly skill.

Now, if we have enough interest, perhaps we could run a Uni only regatta or training event, as I mentioned earlier.

Blade F16
Re: Uni vs 2-up.. Who have the racing advantage, and why? [Re: Timbo] #252836
09/28/12 08:33 AM
09/28/12 08:33 AM
W
waynemarlow Offline
old hand
waynemarlow  Offline
old hand
W

Timbo you are pretty right in what you say, the best skipper will win regardless of the barge he / she is sailing. I can spend 1 1/2 hours trying to pass 4 Mustoo skiffs that have got the best start, these guys are top ten in the world and I'm probably bottom ten, tactics and knowledge often far surpass the power and speed of the boat.

This thread for me was an academic excercise to just confirm whether I was thinking along the right lines, the poll seems to confirm that there is quite a differnce in racing speeds between the solos and duals.

How the class deals with that can only be by class members approval, as my boat no longer truely conforms to F16 rules and I feel it is a better boat to play with than a production boat set up for dual crew, then I guess it will have to be without me.

Its also a bit academic in a way as the 5 year rule ( class rules can only be changed every 5 years ) will prevent any quick changes.

Re: Uni vs 2-up.. Who have the racing advantage, and why? [Re: Rolf_Nilsen] #252840
09/28/12 09:17 AM
09/28/12 09:17 AM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
I don't see it so much as a difference in boat speed, I see it as a difference in ability.

As Pete pointed out earlier, there has not yet been an Olympic caliber skipper consistantly sailing F16's Uni, to give us a true comparison on the race course, to the Olympic caliber skipper/crews we see sailing the Sloops.

I like the freedom of not having to worry about finding crew. If I can get good crew for a regatta, great, but I also like the challenge of racing Uni, and knowing I've got nobody to blame but me, if I'm slow.

I only got into racing to improve my sailing skills, I'd like to be cruising to Tahitti on a big cat with a margarita in my hand, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

A light, fast, two up or Uni boat is about all I can afford now, so I'm good with the challenge and learning that comes with racing Uni, even if it's mostly against sloops.

Blade F16
Re: Uni vs 2-up.. Who have the racing advantage, and why? [Re: Rolf_Nilsen] #252841
09/28/12 09:24 AM
09/28/12 09:24 AM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

"... I've got nobody to blame but me, if I'm slow." I blame Kris, she has Terry focused and now I don't have anyone to beat.

She's gittin' tough. You may be in for a surprise...

Last edited by pgp; 09/28/12 09:27 AM.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

Re: Uni vs 2-up.. Who have the racing advantage, and why? [Re: Rolf_Nilsen] #252848
09/28/12 03:52 PM
09/28/12 03:52 PM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
She's gettin' tough...?

Damn, I liked her when she was soft and squishy.

;^)

Blade F16
Re: Uni vs 2-up.. Who have the racing advantage, and why? [Re: Rolf_Nilsen] #252849
09/28/12 03:57 PM
09/28/12 03:57 PM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Last time out, we were bow to stern downwind, Terry distracted me and she drove over the top of me. She had that look in her eye. She's definitely developed a taste for blood.

Saright though, we need more grlz, specially drivers.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Damon Linkous, phill, Rolf_Nilsen 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 696 guests, and 92 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022