11/07/12 10:24 AM
Key Largo, FL and Put-in-Bay, ...
RickWhite Offline OP

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline OP

Carpal Tunnel

Key Largo, FL and Put-in-Bay, ...
Hi Rick:

Can we let the folks know that today is the last day to register for the U.S. Multihull Championship for the Alter Trophy? The club needs to know who is coming so they can make sure they have enough food etc. and that would be really problematic if someone just showed up. We wouldn’t want to let anyone go hungry!

The registration site will close at midnight Central Time. If anyone has questions, they can contact the event chair, Ashley, who is copied here. The link is http://championships.ussailing.org/Adult/USMHChampionship.htm.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Liz

For more information visit http://championships.ussailing.org.

Liz Walker

Championships Director

US Sailing

LizWalker@ussailing.org
Phone: 401-683-0800 x651
Fax: 401-683-0840
15 Maritime Drive
Post Office Box 1260
Portsmouth, RI 02871
www.ussailing.org

Rick White
Catsailor Magazine & OnLineMarineStore.com
www.onlinemarinestore.com
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Alter Cup Notice from USS [Re: RickWhite] #254434
11/07/12 12:47 PM
11/07/12 12:47 PM
Wilmington,NC
Dlennard Offline
addict
Dlennard  Offline
addict

Wilmington,NC
The US sailing site says 11/15/12 and the NOR says
4.2. Registration closes at midnight Central Time on after November 16, 2012 and is not refundable.

The email says today. Why not just have it with the F16 nationals the week before after all it is just a regatta because you don't have to qualify ?

Re: Alter Cup Notice from USS [Re: Dlennard] #254436
11/07/12 02:39 PM
11/07/12 02:39 PM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Originally Posted by Dlennard
The US sailing site says 11/15/12 and the NOR says
4.2. Registration closes at midnight Central Time on after November 16, 2012 and is not refundable.

The email says today. Why not just have it with the F16 nationals the week before after all it is just a regatta because you don't have to qualify ?

Dave, there is a lot of baggage that comes with a USSailing related championship and that baggage can be a burden. Things from sponsorship restrictions to USSailing getting their piece of the gross.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: Alter Cup Notice from USS [Re: David Ingram] #254448
11/08/12 12:07 AM
11/08/12 12:07 AM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
Bert R can fill you in on this call... The championship meeting minutes are thorough, complete and published on line if you want to read about it.

I hope everyone gets good weather.... it's been a bitch lately... no matter where in the country you are.

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Alter Cup Notice from USS [Re: RickWhite] #254461
11/08/12 12:27 PM
11/08/12 12:27 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Too bad more of you didn't participate in the annual meeting, where this was discussed at length.

US Sailing is very much interested in running combined events, and communicated that to me in October 2011. Cost will not be allowed to get in the way.;

In the survey, the sailors say they want the Alter Cup to be a stand-alone event, but the registrations don't seem to be supporting that.

A bid was proposed to use the F16 event as the Alter Cup for 2012, as mentioned minutes are online and Bert would be the best person to answer this question.

Mike

Re: Alter Cup Notice from USS [Re: brucat] #254465
11/08/12 01:31 PM
11/08/12 01:31 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by brucat
Too bad more of you didn't participate in the annual meeting, where this was discussed at length.

US Sailing is very much interested in running combined events, and communicated that to me in October 2011. Cost will not be allowed to get in the way.;

In the survey, the sailors say they want the Alter Cup to be a stand-alone event, but the registrations don't seem to be supporting that.

A bid was proposed to use the F16 event as the Alter Cup for 2012, as mentioned minutes are online and Bert would be the best person to answer this question.

Mike

Mike,

I wish to apologize in advance for starting what might turn into a bru-hah, but the poll missed a few things. 1) the poll probably did not capture opinions of most of the people that have participated in past championships because many of them are not internet frequenters and I suspect don't have the patience for this kind of polls. 2) the vast majority of people that participated in the poll probably wouldn't consider themselves for the championship in the short term. They're the ones who pushed in this direction but are not showing up.

The result is an event structured for people that have never attended the event but want to "someday". I used to be one of those sailors. It is effectively just another regatta that coincides closely with another local event and is losing out.

There is a need for this championship but I think the shape and color of it lies somewhere between what the general populous wants and what the top sailors in the country would consider a worthwhile en-devour. These two view points are not the same.

Jake Kohl
Re: Alter Cup Notice from USS [Re: RickWhite] #254474
11/08/12 06:25 PM
11/08/12 06:25 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Thanks Jake.

Just to clarify a few things:

There was a very large percentage of past participants. The survey was disseminated through multiple channels, and this site was not the primary channel.

The old format was not only expensive; it did not draw as intended. A 10-boat event is not considered impressive as a major championship by anyone except a few die-hards. I know they don't accept that, but I've heard it from multiple sources, including past participants.

Absolutely no one wants to "dumb down" the regatta. We need to find ways to make it more relevant and to increase participation. This is proving to be exceedingly difficult, as many sailors are gravitating towards OD events with their limited vacation time and funds.

For that specific reason, I am starting to think that partnered events are the best hope, but we need the support of the OD classes to make this a reality.

Mike

Re: Alter Cup Notice from USS [Re: brucat] #254475
11/08/12 06:34 PM
11/08/12 06:34 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
that the top sailors in the country would consider a worthwhile en-devour.

The theory of the case is that the US Sailing Alter cup Trophy is a very worth while endevour... The history and culture of the competitition in all of its previous incarnations is very important to beach cat racers.

What else is needed?

Last edited by Mark Schneider; 11/08/12 06:35 PM.

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Alter Cup Notice from USS [Re: Jake] #254477
11/08/12 08:30 PM
11/08/12 08:30 PM
catandahalf Offline
addict
catandahalf  Offline
addict

Jake,

Mahalo for standing up for sailors who have to de - rig, shower, and eat prior to attending meetings or teleconferences.

On the other side of this on-going Formula 16 Sailing Festival, including the Nationals and the "Alter Cup," we will have a base set of fresh information available to share with the multihull public. The range of inquiry and investigation will include a plan to conduct research regarding safety practices for race management, discuss the role of the National Multihull Championship, and to hopefully, begin establishing a schedule of important OSC (Continental & International), National, and Regional events. Scheduling should be a priority for all Classes and Associations.

The former Multihull Council, now known as, the Multihull Racing Committee, under Mike Levesque, is working for all multihull sailors more than ever.

I have been plugging for a "Scheduling Sub - Committee" for over a year. Let's see if there 'is a NEED.'

Re: Alter Cup Notice from USS [Re: catandahalf] #254480
11/08/12 09:03 PM
11/08/12 09:03 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Originally Posted by catandahalf
Jake, Mahalo for standing up for sailors who have to de - rig, shower, and eat prior to attending meetings or teleconferences.

OK, Bert, what exactly does this mean? I can't think of a single person in the room or on the call that isn't an active sailor and volunteer.

There is an active question here that you haven't answered: Why was the F16 Nationals bid discarded in favor of the stand-alone PBYC event for the 2012 Alter Cup?

Mike

Re: Alter Cup Notice from USS [Re: brucat] #254482
11/08/12 10:52 PM
11/08/12 10:52 PM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA

Mike

Mike, please publish the minutes where this was dicussed and USSailing agreed that it would not require the $50 per competitor and would waive the sponsorship restrictions. This would be a signicant change in direction from USSailing. Based on my experienced with USSailing USSailing Championships are simply menthod to generate revenue. If USSailing is really embrasing what you are implying in your post then this is indeed huge change but until I see it in print it means nothing.

It's not here.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: Alter Cup Notice from USS [Re: brucat] #254485
11/09/12 07:23 AM
11/09/12 07:23 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Thanks Jake.

Just to clarify a few things:

There was a very large percentage of past participants. The survey was disseminated through multiple channels, and this site was not the primary channel.

The old format was not only expensive; it did not draw as intended. A 10-boat event is not considered impressive as a major championship by anyone except a few die-hards. I know they don't accept that, but I've heard it from multiple sources, including past participants.

Absolutely no one wants to "dumb down" the regatta. We need to find ways to make it more relevant and to increase participation. This is proving to be exceedingly difficult, as many sailors are gravitating towards OD events with their limited vacation time and funds.

For that specific reason, I am starting to think that partnered events are the best hope, but we need the support of the OD classes to make this a reality.

Mike

I remember the day when even having a qualifying event at a combined event was not acceptable according the US Sailing. I guess times, they are a'changing. I don't agree with having a US Sailing championship in conjunction with another event. It should be a free standing championship on par with championships at other national levels. I disagree that the low registration count for this year's Alter Cup is proof that it should be combined. I think the low count is due to it's close proximity to another competing event in location and time and a lot of uncertainty in the part of the sailors as to what the championship actually is. Those that I know that would consider sailing an F16 would rather attend the nationals because it is more of a known value at this point.

Jake Kohl
Re: Alter Cup Notice from USS [Re: brucat] #254486
11/09/12 07:27 AM
11/09/12 07:27 AM
Rock Hill,SC
KevinRejda Offline
KevinRejda  Offline

Rock Hill,SC
There is an active question here that you haven't answered: Why was the F16 Nationals bid discarded in favor of the stand-alone PBYC event for the 2012 Alter Cup?

Mike

Mike,

You know the answer here as well as Bert does, it was discussed more than one conference call and y'all voted to accept the PBYC bid over the StABYC bid, which meant a stand alone event. I did not have a vote, but would have voted with the majority. I don't recall much, if any support for a partnered event, it was viewed as a dilution. Obviously, things haven't turned out as hoped. Hindsight is great, but don't pretend you don't know how it went down.

Kevin Rejda
Rock Hill, SC

Re: Alter Cup Notice from USS [Re: David Ingram] #254487
11/09/12 07:30 AM
11/09/12 07:30 AM
Rock Hill,SC
KevinRejda Offline
KevinRejda  Offline

Rock Hill,SC

Mike [/quote]

Mike, please publish the minutes where this was dicussed and USSailing agreed that it would not require the $50 per competitor and would waive the sponsorship restrictions. This would be a signicant change in direction from USSailing. Based on my experienced with USSailing USSailing Championships are simply menthod to generate revenue. If USSailing is really embrasing what you are implying in your post then this is indeed huge change but until I see it in print it means nothing.

It's not here. [/quote]

Spot on Dave

Kevin Rejda
Rock Hill, SC

Re: Alter Cup Notice from USS [Re: Jake] #254488
11/09/12 07:59 AM
11/09/12 07:59 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Mike,

I didn't mean to portray everything so negatively. I appreciate what you guys are doing and the effort you are putting into it. I just wish there was a better answer.

Jake Kohl
Re: Alter Cup Notice from USS [Re: Jake] #254491
11/09/12 09:45 AM
11/09/12 09:45 AM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
I just wish there was a better answer.

Yes.... half the country wish's the election had gone the other way.. (How is that working out) Wishing for something else is a waste of time. Children believe in Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy as well.

The event is a BYOB event.... now and in the future.

There are NO clubs with a standing club fleet of cats that can be offered up....
There is no interest in owners donating their boats so that somebody else can race them..
There are no builders who want to market their boats by using a charter discount.
There is no Sugar Daddy who will drop 20K to run the old program.

The event is a BYOB regatta.

So... either the One design classes support it.... or it will die.
Either the sailors support it by showing up... or it will die
Either the people who ran it in the past stop bitching ... or it will die. If you were on the MRC meeting call you know of the tentative plans for next year with the Am Cup..... Support the event or it will die.

We will not screw our volunteer yacht clubs over while cat sailors act like children and wish for Santa to deliver a brand new fleet of 10 cats for them to play with at nominal charge.

The theory of the case is that the US Sailing Alter cup Trophy is a very worth while endevour... The history and culture of the competitition in all of its previous incarnations is very important to beach cat racers.

I suspect that we could ask PBYC to extend the registration deadline.... Let Kevin R know if you can race the event....

Everyone knows that PBYC has an outstanding reputation for delivering a great event..... don't screw them over!

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Alter Cup Notice from USS [Re: RickWhite] #254492
11/09/12 09:48 AM
11/09/12 09:48 AM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Guys, I am not the enemy. I am trying to balance the wants and desires of some very different groups of people. I am trying to get "better answers" but we only have one championship...

Bert is the voice of the championship committee. There was indeed a lot of discussion, and a vote was taken. I am not hiding behind anything, Bert is the person to answer the specific question.

Like most of you, I would prefer that the championship remain a stand-alone event, but we are listening to lots of sailors who are telling us that they simply cannot support both this event and their annual OD event, and attendance at qualifiers over several years supports that. Bob Merrick stated it here on this forum many years ago, most people chose to ignore him at the time...

As for the discussions about cost, etc. I have stated many times over the past year that this has been between Jack and myself, in his office and on the phone. It comes up in almost every conversation that we have, and he always has the same answer. It is not in the championship committee minutes, because those meetings have been focused on preparing the stand-alone events for 2012 and 2013.

As I mentioned at the council meeting in San Fran, I sat down with Jack in October this year to prep for the meeting, and we discussed this yet again. I noted that people don't believe me, and needed some hard numbers. His answer was simply that we don't even have an event proposal yet, so let's get that going first, and the fees would be part of that discussion at that time.

He is keenly aware that partnering with a class would require a different set of operating rules, which would also relieve his staff of a lot of work, since the classes already do such a great job with organizing these events. So, the costs to US Sailing would be less, and therefore the fee would be able to be reduced.

Regarding sponsorships, the discussions have been nearly the same. Up through this year, we had Rolex as the primary sponsor, and have been allowed to add another sponsor, so long as we didn't diminish the value to Rolex (competing category, logo size, etc.). This was communicated to the club, and rather than coming up with a specific, approvable sponsor proposal, we got more of the same types of comments here: denial, mud-slinging from the past, etc.

At this point, I may just need to be blunt: When someone comes forward with a concrete plan, we can present that and work through the details. If all we ever get is complaints from people that can't let go of the past, nothing will change. The old addage is true: If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem...

Mike

EDIT: Another outside-the-box solution I have been thinking about: Since we primarily have two types of sailors (DH sloop and DH spin), would people support a stand-alone championship that featured BOTH fleets? We would need a second trophy, but this could result in doubling the numbers with minimal effort, and would alleviate a lot of the debate about boats to be used.

Last edited by brucat; 11/09/12 09:57 AM.
Re: Alter Cup Notice from USS [Re: Mark Schneider] #254495
11/09/12 11:37 AM
11/09/12 11:37 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
I'm not sitting here saying it needs to be like it was. I realize the change had to happen as the boat prices are freakin' out of control. What I do believe, and is not represented in the poll, is that the event should still maintain a level of exclusivity. Entries should be limited and you should have to qualify. The BYOB aspect of it is fine, but the planning will need to be made carefully schedules to avoid falling within a year of a World Championship in the US of that class, or National Championship of that class by 6 months.

I'm sitting here thinking about having the championship as a combined event and it just dawned on me how completely and utterly backwards this is. For years, we fought a losing battle with Liz/Us Sailing over the qualifying events. We were pushed hard out of having them combined with other events, to combined events but separate starts, to free-standing events, then certified clubs, certified PROs, yada yada. It made the qualifiers difficult and expensive to manage, lowly attended, and more separated from the general catsailing community. In some cases, we ended up with PROs that weren't familiar with catamarans and the stand-alone regatta could have been better. So after living through all of this detailed requirement, I'm a little shocked that the qualifiers are out the window and the championship is looking to be combined with another event. This seems really backwards.

The event needs a degree of exclusivity and status to be anything of merit. I think we still need qualifiers but with considerably relaxed requirements. Before Liz accuses me again of wanting to relax the USS membership requirement to discount my opinion, let me state clearly: I believe all competitors of the qualifiers should be US Sailing members. We have had issues with this in our area in the past (not as much an issues as some others) but in some cases, we needed the head count to make the free standing qualifier survive financially and some of those people wanted to sail, didn't care about the championship, didn't want to be US Sailing members, but we needed their entry fee and enjoy their company.

Here's what I think will work. Re-introduce the qualifiers in conjunction with other major regional regattas. Make the actual championship a freestanding event, BYOB, class and location known well ahead of time and not conflicting with that class' US based worlds within a calendar year and not with that class' national championship within 6 months. Limit the actual championship to a 20, 25, or 30 boat fleet. Don't require certified PROs or certified clubs for the qualifier and allow it to be a mixed start of qualify-ees and non qualify-ees at major regional regattas. However, qualify-ees must be US Sailing members at the time of the qualifier. Let Spring Fever have a qualifier enabled fleet, Catfight, etc. If F18 is the boat of the year, F18 sailors can choose to partake of the qualifier in their normal fleet start and be ranked with other qualifier participants for inclusion in the event. We can finally have a legitimate event on a single handed boat too. Eliminate the portsmouth handicap qualifier and make the qualifier part of the class fleet of the selected boat for that championship. Go deep within these results for attendees. Draw for an open spot or two giving someone a chance that might not otherwise normally qualified to provide incentive for more qualifier involvement. Have a couple of limited special case slots for a youth team or other special cases. Stop with the restrictive requirements and let us enjoy the darn thing.

Jake Kohl
Re: Alter Cup Notice from USS [Re: brucat] #254496
11/09/12 11:39 AM
11/09/12 11:39 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
^
|

There's my plan. I'm sorry that I just don't have the patience for these meetings or calls - my opinion is usually discounted or squashed in those meetings anyway.

Jake Kohl
Re: Alter Cup Notice from USS [Re: Jake] #254498
11/09/12 11:51 AM
11/09/12 11:51 AM
On the Water
P.M. Offline
Pooh-Bah
P.M.  Offline
Pooh-Bah

On the Water
Originally Posted by Jake
I'm not sitting here saying it needs to be like it was. I realize the change had to happen as the boat prices are freakin' out of control. What I do believe, and is not represented in the poll, is that the event should still maintain a level of exclusivity. Entries should be limited and you should have to qualify. The BYOB aspect of it is fine, but the planning will need to be made carefully schedules to avoid falling within a year of a World Championship in the US of that class, or National Championship of that class by 6 months.

I'm sitting here thinking about having the championship as a combined event and it just dawned on me how completely and utterly backwards this is. For years, we fought a losing battle with Liz/Us Sailing over the qualifying events. We were pushed hard out of having them combined with other events, to combined events but separate starts, to free-standing events, then certified clubs, certified PROs, yada yada. It made the qualifiers difficult and expensive to manage, lowly attended, and more separated from the general catsailing community. In some cases, we ended up with PROs that weren't familiar with catamarans and the stand-alone regatta could have been better. So after living through all of this detailed requirement, I'm a little shocked that the qualifiers are out the window and the championship is looking to be combined with another event. This seems really backwards.

The event needs a degree of exclusivity and status to be anything of merit. I think we still need qualifiers but with considerably relaxed requirements. Before Liz accuses me again of wanting to relax the USS membership requirement to discount my opinion, let me state clearly: I believe all competitors of the qualifiers should be US Sailing members. We have had issues with this in our area in the past (not as much an issues as some others) but in some cases, we needed the head count to make the free standing qualifier survive financially and some of those people wanted to sail, didn't care about the championship, didn't want to be US Sailing members, but we needed their entry fee and enjoy their company.

Here's what I think will work. Re-introduce the qualifiers in conjunction with other major regional regattas. Make the actual championship a freestanding event, BYOB, class and location known well ahead of time and not conflicting with that class' US based worlds within a calendar year and not with that class' national championship within 6 months. Limit the actual championship to a 20, 25, or 30 boat fleet. Don't require certified PROs or certified clubs for the qualifier and allow it to be a mixed start of qualify-ees and non qualify-ees at major regional regattas. However, qualify-ees must be US Sailing members at the time of the qualifier. Let Spring Fever have a qualifier enabled fleet, Catfight, etc. If F18 is the boat of the year, F18 sailors can choose to partake of the qualifier in their normal fleet start and be ranked with other qualifier participants for inclusion in the event. We can finally have a legitimate event on a single handed boat too. Eliminate the portsmouth handicap qualifier and make the qualifier part of the class fleet of the selected boat for that championship. Go deep within these results for attendees. Draw for an open spot or two giving someone a chance that might not otherwise want to even be involved...provides incentive for more qualifier involvement. Stop with the restrictive requirements and let us enjoy the darn thing.

Jake, agreed, you nailed it.

The Alter Cup has always been an elite event. Keep it an elite event, the best competing against the best.

Philip
USA #1006
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 423 guests, and 78 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022