09/12/13 04:07 AM

T
thricebitten
Unregistered
thricebitten
Unregistered
T

Hi Darryn,

At present in Victoria we have Spinnaker Titles on a different weekend to Non Spinnaker so extending the concept to Cat & Sloop is worth considering, but it's still not going to get more Sloops on the water at Nats where Spinnakers are already seperate.

Not sure if Lindsay Irwin keeps a tally probably not, but he often comments how he can't believe the number of spinnakers (and for that matter main sails) he has made for Mossies and of course there are quite a few others been made by Allygator and Goodall.

As for numbers it's probably fair to say that many of the newer sailors are spinnaker sailors and frequent the forum, not so much the longer term sailors. But there are a few more than 14 spinnakers out there, at least 20 I would guess.

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Nationals Format [Re: Darryn] #264999
09/25/13 02:05 AM
09/25/13 02:05 AM
Australia
Kryptonite Offline
stranger
Kryptonite  Offline
stranger

Australia
Originally Posted by Darryn

It's just not worth driving a third of the way across Australia for a one and a half day Mk1 Nationals. What if one of those days has no wind or is blown out?

hi darren,
not sure who u are, but i have been sailing mossies the past couple of years and have not seen you at a nationals. it seems to me that not even a 5 day regatta is enough to get you to sail... So what is??

Re: Nationals Format [Re: Kryptonite] #265055
09/25/13 10:31 AM
09/25/13 10:31 AM
Port Noarlunga, SA, Australia
D
Darryn Offline
addict
Darryn  Offline
addict
D

Port Noarlunga, SA, Australia
Originally Posted by Kryptonite
Originally Posted by Darryn

It's just not worth driving a third of the way across Australia for a one and a half day Mk1 Nationals. What if one of those days has no wind or is blown out?

hi darren,
not sure who u are, but i have been sailing mossies the past couple of years and have not seen you at a nationals. it seems to me that not even a 5 day regatta is enough to get you to sail... So what is??

I have sailed for 36 years, in the last 15 years I have owned 4 Mosquitos, sailed in 7 Nationals and raced my Mozzys in Townsville, Wagga, Victoria and SA. I think that gives me the right to state my opinion.

Rivoli Bay my tow vehicle was damaged the day before the event, I had already payed my race fees and accommodation, was very disappointed not to attend and it cost a bomb.

Paynesville I decided not to race, most lakes don't interest me, no ocean/large swell to surf, dirty water, crazy wind.

I am not sure how to answer your question so i will say this. I always plan my sailing based on location, format and weather, I dont just jump in the car and go.

I will continue to read what is proposed for future events and if I dont like it, I wont be there, its simple.

I am the only person on the forum who isn't keen on what is proposed so how about we just agree to disagree and move on.

cheers,
Darryn
Bullet

Re: Nationals Format [Re: ] #265364
09/27/13 12:37 AM
09/27/13 12:37 AM
Derrinallum
A
Al_scorpion1101 Offline
Al_scorpion1101  Offline
A

Derrinallum
I am with darryn on this one.
Started sailing an old mozzi 2 years ago, after water returned to our lake.
Not a chance id travel across the country for 1.5 days of mk1 sailing.
As good as it would be learning from the best, it's not enough sailing to commit to the travel and the $ for a small amount of time on water.
No intention of sailing mk 2 (no crew) and no intention of getting a spin set up (not interested)
Cheers
Al
Scorpion

Last edited by Al_scorpion1101; 09/27/13 12:38 AM.

Scorpion 1101 Mosquito
Wild oats g=6 Graduate
HARD WOOD RACING
Re: Nationals Format [Re: ] #265368
09/27/13 05:54 AM
09/27/13 05:54 AM
gold coast
F
fast energy Offline
fast energy  Offline
F

gold coast
so could have all class sailing against each other of 5 days
so than it may be worth 1,5 days travel
just my through
I only have one boat and one me and one sailed class

Brett Kelly
Fast Energy
Gold Coast
Re: Nationals Format [Re: ] #265454
09/29/13 04:06 AM
09/29/13 04:06 AM
Lake Bonney, SA
dkd Offline
enthusiast
dkd  Offline
enthusiast

Lake Bonney, SA
Hmmm, interesting thread and some strange comments.

Not often that I agree totally with Darryn on a lot of things but this one, absolutely.

Maybe people need to remember what happened when everyone wanted to stuff around with the class last time, it damn near went into history.

First grow the class to the numbers you used to have, second encourage the new guys to participate and then, maybe you can look at splitting fleets.

The best way in my opinion (which ain't worth much anymore) is to have the spinnaker nationals in the week before, as it is now and then into the normal fleet championships.

Enjoy and I will watch with some interest. ... and spinnakers have given the class the best "shot in the arm" in many many years. Would be nice to see more being used in SA particularly in the metro waters.

Re: Nationals Format [Re: ] #265467
09/30/13 03:37 AM
09/30/13 03:37 AM
gold coast
F
fast energy Offline
fast energy  Offline
F

gold coast
dkd
I think your thoughts are good and I tend to agree
some things are better left alone
for me I am spinnaker bias
the opportunity or challenge to sail non spinnaker would be fun
I think regardless of difference of peoples opinions' constructive criticism may be positive for over all class development
just from me sailing at Southport gold coast there has been a lot of interest and another 3 boats being built / restored
I am trying to go to all the major regattas in QLD to promote our class
going to wild cat in 4 days it is going to be fun
just my thought's could be good most likely not

Brett Kelly
Fast Energy
Gold Coast
Re: Nationals Format [Re: dkd] #265509
10/01/13 12:54 AM
10/01/13 12:54 AM
East Gippsland, Australia
Tim_Mozzie Offline
old hand
Tim_Mozzie  Offline
old hand

East Gippsland, Australia
Originally Posted by dkd

Maybe people need to remember what happened when everyone wanted to stuff around with the class last time, it damn near went into history.

First grow the class to the numbers you used to have, second encourage the new guys to participate and then, maybe you can look at splitting fleets.

I keep hearing this line that changing the class (or wanting to change it) caused the class to die. Can you be more specific please?

From what I can see the class has not changed at all in more than 20 years, and it nearly died because it was replaced by the Taipan, and sailing as a sport went into free-fall anyway.

The original point of this thread was not to suggest splitting the fleet but to put it back together in order to stop the decline of the sloop rig. We currently have a very small sloop-rigged fleet that sails their own nationals while the cat rigs sail theirs. The suggestion was to sail them one after the other so that cat sailors could race in the sloop fleet and vice-versa.

If people are really rigidly stuck in their mode of sailing then it won't work, and maybe it's just too hard to get enough races in, but we know there are a lot of cat rigged Mozzies out there with a jib in the sail box, all sloops can be sailed cat rigged, and it would be a shame to see the sloops die out any more than they already have.

Tim Shepperd
Mosquito 1775
Karma Cat
Re: Nationals Format [Re: ] #265549
10/01/13 06:08 PM
10/01/13 06:08 PM
Matt_Stone Offline
addict
Matt_Stone  Offline
addict

well said tim!!!

Re: Nationals Format [Re: ] #265584
10/02/13 06:16 PM
10/02/13 06:16 PM
No Turbulence Offline
No Turbulence  Offline

Now that you say that Tim, I have a Jib for my boat, that I have used a hand full of times, would be interesed in sailing a Nationals in both versions, with no crew training maybe a bit slower than the full time sloop guys but would be a bit of fun.

Ross

No Turbulence.

No Turbulence

Re: Nationals Format [Re: Tim_Mozzie] #265593
10/03/13 06:08 AM
10/03/13 06:08 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline
old hand
Pirate  Offline
old hand

Victoria Australia
Originally Posted by Tim_Mozzie
we know there are a lot of cat rigged Mozzies out there with a jib in the sail box

True.... but how many are there ??? perhaps we need to find that out first wink

My own experience:
my first mozzie had a jib setup fitted when I bought it, I had it removed before my first race on that boat and I never re-fitted it during my ownership.
JurassicKarp has a jib setup although it too has been taken off in preference of cat rigged and later with a spinnaker setup, at this stage I'd like to re-install the jib setup but I'd be going in blind as to the correct setup at the moment, the bits are there but they make little sense as to where exactly they should be.

I would think many others would be in a similar situation, the jib n bits may well be there but the layout has long been lost....

Kingy

cry

Yar, & this ere post be done without a sin'le drop o' rum passin' me lips

Kingy
started with Impara Cadet #3 / Mosquito #245
& now Mosquitos #1182 & #1740

Re: Nationals Format [Re: ] #265673
10/05/13 06:15 PM
10/05/13 06:15 PM
Simon_Hallsworth Offline
Simon_Hallsworth  Offline

Hi All,
I am of the same view as Darryn and David. I personally have no desire to sail Mk1 and won't travel for a 1 to 2 day event, which potentially could be wiped out if the weather isn't good.
I know I am not the only one in SA who shares this view with other sloop rigged boats also not keen on this format. I don't think I could get a crew to travel for only a 2 day event anyway!
The other aspect of this is that if you loose 4 or 5 (or more) sloops that would normally compete in the longer format, will this devalue the competition, and be counter intuitive to what you are trying to achieve?
Over the years there has been varying levels of numbers in each fleet. When I first started sailing in mossies the sloops were the dominant fleet. Are we just in a cycle where Cats are the dominant fleet?
We are starting to see a slight change in numbers in SA with more sloops sailing regularly. My view is that we should be trying grow the sloop numbers rather than change the format.
Anyway, that is my 2 bobs worth. Has been an interesting thread to follow!

Re: Nationals Format [Re: ] #265715
10/06/13 08:19 PM
10/06/13 08:19 PM
Bendigo, Victoria, Australia
colmc Offline
colmc  Offline

Bendigo, Victoria, Australia
Great discussion.

I don't have a stong opinion on this as I sail the Mozzie in all her rig configurations (that's why I gotta Mozzie). I would happily sail no matter what the racing set up.

Haven't been able to make it to a nationals since Wallaroo anyway.

Col
"Now What?"
Mosquito 1810
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 637 guests, and 78 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022