10/06/13 10:32 AM
Wilmington,NC
Dlennard Offline
addict
Dlennard  Offline
addict

Wilmington,NC
Originally Posted by pgp
Your state obviously cares more about insurance companies than it does it's citizens.

But, duh, you could try going into the market place.

And you're welcome.

Pete, I have tried to get pricing on the Market Place for days and around 4 hours of time and phone calls with no luck. If I sign up for the government health care I also can't go back to private. After dealing with the MP website and the phone calls and no help dealing with the government is going to be just a bad experience.

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Explain exactly Why I "Can't" go sailing once again ? [Re: Bille] #265685
10/06/13 10:39 AM
10/06/13 10:39 AM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Who told you you can't go back to the private sector? I'm very skeptical about that.

I'm sure there are lots of problems with this new system, I'm also confident it will get sorted.

I'm sorry you're having such a rough time and hope you find a solution soon.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: Explain exactly Why I "Can't" go sailing once again ? [Re: Mark Schneider] #265686
10/06/13 10:45 AM
10/06/13 10:45 AM
Wilmington,NC
Dlennard Offline
addict
Dlennard  Offline
addict

Wilmington,NC
Originally Posted by Mark Schneider
Health care costs were going up 8 to 10 0% a year for many years.... Before they blew up the economy, how to regulate Heath Care was the major issue in the election for both Ds and Rs.

Hospitals and the system pay for the uninsured ... One of the ACA's solutions was to expand Medicaid... If your state refuses to take the money... you get hit by a double wammy. Same number of uninsured that the system will have to pay for... AND they cut off the Fed medicaid uninsured payment that paid for it in the past. So... your insurance company raises the rates to pay for it. Tell your gov to take the medicare expansion... your rates will stabilize.

Prior to the ACA.... you pay the insurance company or go without. Now, you have four choices. Pay the company, or you can buy a high deductible policy on the federal insurance exchange for much less money ... or See if the comparable federal exchange group rate is better then your small group rate plan that you have now (same insurance company... different group plan) ... Or pay the fine.

The most dangerous thing you said was wait and see if i get sick... then buy something.. Huge mistake... just like your current insurance... they still have an open season... You have to enroll or change during open season. You can't wait till you need it... You will pay the fine... get treated and still owe the bills... Sure, the next open season will come up in a year and then let you purchase a plan, irrespective of your pre existing condition... but the past bills don't go away.

Thanks Mark
I already had a high deductible plan which worked fine for me as I just paid for the times I needed medical care, but the new law changed my plan to a lower deductible and doubled my rates. The higher deductible is no longer an option. If I go on the government health care I can never go back to private. The government can just up the rates and I have no choice and if I don't get good care no choice again. Several of my friends are getting the same 100% increase. I have already contacted my government officials and yes cost are going up but 100% for one year to the next is a little tough.

Re: Explain exactly Why I "Can't" go sailing once again ? [Re: Bille] #265687
10/06/13 10:49 AM
10/06/13 10:49 AM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The real problem here is your state legislature and insurance lobby.

Get involved politically, if nothing else call your local legislator and tell him this is all his fault and you intend to put someone else in his seat.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: Explain exactly Why I "Can't" go sailing once again ? [Re: Bille] #265688
10/06/13 11:00 AM
10/06/13 11:00 AM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
pete, I'm glad you know so much about me. Nice bigotted post, it actually shows your ignorance on this. I beg you to discuss this with me in person. Conflict resolution works so much better that way. Just make sure you start with as much vitriol. Dumbass.
You are still trying to pass the blame on to everything except the problem,the ACA.

p.s. Buy a dictionary.
p.s.s. Why do you keep taking me OFF ignore? Can't learn your lesson I guess.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Explain exactly Why I "Can't" go sailing once again ? [Re: ThunderMuffin] #265689
10/06/13 11:01 AM
10/06/13 11:01 AM
B
Bille Offline OP
Bille  Offline OP
B

Originally Posted by Undecided
Originally Posted by catman

No, We are Stupid. It represents us.....right?

I don't think you can claim that it represents us anymore. In any case, I don't see the shutdown as a bad thing. For 95% of the population, nobody is going to notice a damn thing. Maybe it will get people to realize just how bloated and inefficent the whole boondoggle is.

YES , But I'm the one who Can't go sailing OR kite-boarding
because of this shut-down ; not much for lakes to choose
from if Ya live in Vegas !

As far as the Health-care system goes ; thought this was
a sailing forum ? I could talk about Kite boarding all
day, but few of you would relate, so i Don't.

GO start your OWN Health-care Thread ...

Bille

Re: Explain exactly Why I "Can't" go sailing once again ? [Re: Bille] #265690
10/06/13 11:02 AM
10/06/13 11:02 AM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

What happens if you go sailing anyway?

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

Re: Explain exactly Why I "Can't" go sailing once again ? [Re: Bille] #265691
10/06/13 11:03 AM
10/06/13 11:03 AM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

You should start a kite boarding forum, or at least a thread.

I would've bought a kite long ago but I don't have the balls.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

Re: Explain exactly Why I "Can't" go sailing once again ? [Re: pgp] #265692
10/06/13 11:31 AM
10/06/13 11:31 AM
Wilmington,NC
Dlennard Offline
addict
Dlennard  Offline
addict

Wilmington,NC
Hey Pete only 26 attempts (calls) to get verified and I finally got to be put on hold. (5min so far). The system just cancels your call and tells you to call back later. Last week I did finally get through after 10 calls and a 17min wait on hold and they could not help me because the system did not save any of my application so I have to do it all over again.

Re: Explain exactly Why I "Can't" go sailing once again ? [Re: Dlennard] #265693
10/06/13 11:36 AM
10/06/13 11:36 AM
C
Carl Offline
journeyman
Carl  Offline
journeyman
C

Originally Posted by Dlennard
Health care costs were going up 8 to 10 0% a year for many years.... Before they blew up the economy, how to regulate Heath Care was the major issue in the election for both Ds and Rs.

Hospitals and the system pay for the uninsured ... One of the ACA's solutions was to expand Medicaid... If your state refuses to take the money... you get hit by a double wammy. Same number of uninsured that the system will have to pay for... AND they cut off the Fed medicaid uninsured payment that paid for it in the past. So... your insurance company raises the rates to pay for it. Tell your gov to take the medicare expansion... your rates will stabilize.

Prior to the ACA.... you pay the insurance company or go without. Now, you have four choices. Pay the company, or you can buy a high deductible policy on the federal insurance exchange for much less money ... or See if the comparable federal exchange group rate is better then your small group rate plan that you have now (same insurance company... different group plan) ... Or pay the fine.

The most dangerous thing you said was wait and see if i get sick... then buy something.. Huge mistake... just like your current insurance... they still have an open season... You have to enroll or change during open season. You can't wait till you need it... You will pay the fine... get treated and still owe the bills... Sure, the next open season will come up in a year and then let you purchase a plan, irrespective of your pre existing condition... but the past bills don't go away.

Thanks Mark
I already had a high deductible plan which worked fine for me as I just paid for the times I needed medical care, but the new law changed my plan to a lower deductible and doubled my rates. The higher deductible is no longer an option. If I go on the government health care I can never go back to private. The government can just up the rates and I have no choice and if I don't get good care no choice again. Several of my friends are getting the same 100% increase. I have already contacted my government officials and yes cost are going up but 100% for one year to the next is a little tough.

Hi David and all -

Good topic --Central to the Govt. shutdown is the desire to have a discussion about Obamacare as it is called in general media . As I understand it the current president refuses to discuss debate or negociate the issue with the congress.

Funny -but my basic understanding of our system of government with its checks and balances and debate of ideas was intended to promote discussion of issues and debate of those issues .

An interesting juxtapose to the refusal to discuss or negociate the health care issue by Obama is foriegn policy in which the president will negociate with ---ohh --one example -- a foriegn dictator such as Assad in Syria who according to the UN has used chemical weapons to kill his own civilian population inc womon and children --gassed to death .

Yet he is unable to negociate or refuses to discuss the issue with the other political party in the US and all those they represent --about half the population . I thought a president was supposed to represent ALL of us --not one party .

That said --the simple minded arguement that insurance cos drive the cost of health insurance is --well --just that .
There are so many factors driving costs {too many to list here} It seems very few cost reduction factors were actually addressed in O CARE --perhaps it was due to the complete lack of debate -negociation --concent of the minority party --and the ability or intent to insure ALL people are represented fairly and do indeed have a voice and perspectives that need to be heard .

Daves is an excellent example of what is already going terribley wrong with the extreme change to the system --they really should have expanded Medicare -Medicaid -and improved the existing system --over time adapting elements that work . They have not done so .

A final note --once politicians get you to attack others for having a different perspective --life experiences --and resulting opinion than your own ----well --it is what power mongers have done since human history begane isn't it ? turn people against one another to promote themselves and gain power and control .

Last edited by Carl; 10/06/13 11:53 AM.
Re: Explain exactly Why I "Can't" go sailing once again ? [Re: Carl] #265694
10/06/13 11:56 AM
10/06/13 11:56 AM
Wilmington,NC
Dlennard Offline
addict
Dlennard  Offline
addict

Wilmington,NC
Hey Pete another 29min wasted just to find out they can not help me. I have to start the process all over again. Maybe the website will work this time.

Re: Explain exactly Why I "Can't" go sailing once again ? [Re: Bille] #265695
10/06/13 11:57 AM
10/06/13 11:57 AM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
+1 Carl.
Good succinct post.

Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Explain exactly Why I "Can't" go sailing once again ? [Re: Carl] #265696
10/06/13 11:59 AM
Wilmington,NC
Dlennard Offline
addict
Dlennard  Offline
addict

Wilmington,NC
Originally Posted by Carl

Thanks Mark

Hi David and all -

Good topic --Central to the Govt. shutdown is the desire to have a discussion about Obamacare as it is called in general media . As I understand it the current president refuses to discuss debate or negociate the issue with the congress.

Funny -but my basic understanding of our system of government with its checks and balances and debate of ideas was intended to promote discussion of issues and debate of those issues .

An interesting juxtapose to the refusal to discuss or negociate the health care issue by Obama is foriegn policy in which the president will negociate with ---ohh --one example -- a foriegn dictator such as Assad in Syria who according to the UN has used chemical weapons to kill his own civilian population inc womon and children --gassed to death .

Yet he is unable to negociate or refuses to discuss the issue with the other political party in the US and all those they represent --about half the population . I thought a president was supposed to represent ALL of us --not one party .

That said --the simple minded arguement that insurance cos drive the cost of health insurance is --well --just that .
There are so many factors driving costs {too many to list here} It seems very few cost reduction factors were actually addressed in O CARE --perhaps it was due to the complete lack of debate -negociation --concent of the minority party --and the ability or intent to insure ALL people are represented fairly and do indeed have a voice and perspectives that need to be heard .

Daves is an excellent example of what is already going terribley wrong with the extreme change to the system --they really should have expanded Medicare -Medicaid -and improved the existing system --over time adapting elements that work . They have not done so .

A final note --once politicians get you to attack others for having a different perspective --life experiences --and resulting opinion than your own ----well --it is what power mongers have done since human history begane isn't it ? turn people against one another to promote themselves and gain power and control .

Thanks Carl

Re: Explain exactly Why I "Can't" go sailing once again ? [Re: Dlennard] #265697
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Hey Pete another 29min wasted just to find out they can not help me. I have to start the process all over again. Maybe the website will work this time.

Well, I guess we know why they have had so many calls. More lies.

Isak Dinesen
E. B. White
Re: Explain exactly Why I "Can't" go sailing once again ? [Re: Dlennard] #265698
10/06/13 12:09 PM
10/06/13 12:09 PM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Well, you can be angry with me or you can understand the system you are fighting was put in place by your state legislature and insurance lobby to exclude as many claims as possible i.e. people who are sick.

You might also consider the demand for this new service is so high it is crashing the system.

You migh also confront the person who told you once you leave the private system you can never go back. I suspect that is an outright lie and may be illegal.

Last edited by pgp; 10/06/13 12:10 PM.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

Re: Explain exactly Why I "Can't" go sailing once again ? [Re: pgp] #265699
10/06/13 02:50 PM
10/06/13 02:50 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
Dave, Just to make Pete's point in another way.... Your states insurance commissioners allowed your old plan to exist. It worked for you because you did not find the holes in that policy and you liked the price. Your state's insurance commissioner would deal with the individual complaints for people who fell through that policy. The people could complain and get screwed by their insurance company but that was it. (part of the reason that insurance reform was the issue in the 08 election)

The ACA set a national standard for just what a policy had to cover. So your current policy had to change and come up to the national standard.... Your insurance commissioner must enforce the new law. So, like all insurance, if you don't use some of it... you think you are overpaying... eg materinity care... I doubt you have much need for that but it's nominally included because the law demands non discrimination against women .... Now your insurance company knows you won't need maternity care for you and the family at 50 plus... but they can blame the cost increase on this and gouge you another way.

The solution is to actually have more insurance companies in your state... In some states, one company owns 90% of the market.... it is impossible for another company to come in... find docs and hospitals and start competing. Right now,.... you have your old company.. with their individual plans... and the ACA spec policies offered by your old company but meeting the national standard. ... that is NOT competition that works for you.

In either case, what you are buying is from a private company. There is nothing free market about health insurance tho.... it is just Private and the ACA added some government regulations... eg spend 80% premium on medical payouts or send a rebate... Stock holders of the insurance companies benift because they get more customers with the ACA.

You are not getting goverment health care now... Medicare is public government run health insurance... as is Tricare for the military... as is Medicaid for poor people.. You are not using any of these public systems.

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Explain exactly Why I "Can't" go sailing once again ? [Re: Bille] #265700
10/06/13 02:54 PM
10/06/13 02:54 PM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Note that insurance regulations vary from state to state. For instance BCBS Florida is not the same company as BCBS Indiana and they charge different rates, Fl. being much higher.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

Re: Explain exactly Why I "Can't" go sailing once again ? [Re: Bille] #265701
10/06/13 03:45 PM
10/06/13 03:45 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Now David , don't you feel better knowing why your old plan that you were fine with was so bad for you and the new enforced care that you don't want/need is the way to go. Now drink your Kool-aid and write your check.

Isak Dinesen
E. B. White
Re: Explain exactly Why I "Can't" go sailing once again ? [Re: Bille] #265705
10/06/13 03:59 PM
10/06/13 03:59 PM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
FYI Pete.

This year my premium for covering just myself was $53 every two weeks (out of every check) with a $1500 deductible that I met in January with all my diabetes crap (my flex spending account helped out greatly with this).

Open enrollment for my company starts the last week in October. We've already received information that my particular plan's premium (our best plan) is going up to $95 every two weeks with a $2000 deductible and double the co-pays now.

Go to Obamacare's facebook page - its literally full of people with sticker shock wondering how the hell this is in any way "affordable".

Re: Explain exactly Why I "Can't" go sailing once again ? [Re: Bille] #265711
10/06/13 04:21 PM
10/06/13 04:21 PM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Raise hell with the guv'ner! He made millions working this system.

But, welcome to my world. For several years I had to buy my inusrance on the open market, it wasn't available through work. I was okay with a high deductible low premium until BCBS stopped offering that plan. It worked out though, soon after I was diagnosed with diabetes so no one would insure me at any price.

Cheers!

Last edited by pgp; 10/06/13 04:35 PM.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 442 guests, and 104 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022