01/17/14 07:02 PM
01/17/14 07:02 PM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
So I'm at the lake and the beach wheels are at home in a slight state of disrepair, not an issue as there are several people that can give me a lift to the waters edge
no problems...... until I decide to go sailing by myself, ok so I have to fix up the beach wheels....
blush

then the grey matter started ticking over......

Why is it when we are at the beach we watch powerboats being unloaded, back it down the ramp.... boat floats off and is held and vehicle and trailer drive out.

simple grin

the trailer 'sinks' during the loading / unloading process and the boat floats on or off as required

I've seen it hundreds of times as most of you probably have as well, where cat sailors seem to have a fight in extracting the beach trolley from out under the boat when launching or indeed when trying to get the wheels back under the boat so it can be brought back up on the beach.....

so can someone explain to me why our beach trolleys float confused

just asking
sick

Yar, & this ere post be done without a sin'le drop o' rum passin' me lips

Kingy
started with Impara Cadet #3 / Mosquito #245
& now Mosquitos #1182 & #1740

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Beach Wheels .......... question ?????? [Re: Pirate] #268534
01/17/14 08:09 PM
01/17/14 08:09 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by PIRATE
So I'm at the lake and the beach wheels are at home in a slight state of disrepair, not an issue as there are several people that can give me a lift to the waters edge
no problems...... until I decide to go sailing by myself, ok so I have to fix up the beach wheels....
blush

then the grey matter started ticking over......

Why is it when we are at the beach we watch powerboats being unloaded, back it down the ramp.... boat floats off and is held and vehicle and trailer drive out.

simple grin

the trailer 'sinks' during the loading / unloading process and the boat floats on or off as required

I've seen it hundreds of times as most of you probably have as well, where cat sailors seem to have a fight in extracting the beach trolley from out under the boat when launching or indeed when trying to get the wheels back under the boat so it can be brought back up on the beach.....

so can someone explain to me why our beach trolleys float confused

just asking
sick

Because we need to get enough surface area on the tires so they don't sink into soft sand. To get that surface area, they need big tires. They also need to be light so we can thrown them over our shoulders. These two factors drive what we have today.

The question you should probably be asking, is why don't we back our trailers in to the water to launch the boats?

Jake Kohl
Re: Beach Wheels .......... question ?????? [Re: Jake] #268536
01/17/14 08:29 PM
01/17/14 08:29 PM
catandahalf Offline
addict
catandahalf  Offline
addict

No, No, No, do not go there!!!

Ian Farrier has designed a trailer for the new F 22 that is designed with carbon and rubber - not sure about the axle and rims, but there should very little stainless, aluminum, or galvanized in the construction. The F 22 supposedly features zero metal in its design & construction.

Fresh water launching and retrieval makes a huge difference, of course.

Re: Beach Wheels .......... question ?????? [Re: Pirate] #268537
01/17/14 09:58 PM
01/17/14 09:58 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

There are no "easy" answers...

Beach dollies: lots of work, but affords the freedom of not being dependent on a ramp, which in many places, means long lines and/or extra fees.

Ramp launching... Well, it's not easier unless there is no wind and the water is dead flat. Otherwise, it's tough to center the boat on the trailer, as the rear crossbar is significantly lower in the water, and your hulls will typically float over the top of any side rollers you may have. Even if you don't have side rollers, the hulls will easily slide off center as you pull the trailer out of the water.

Corrosion to the trailer due to salt water is another issue, but easily mitigated by a fresh water rinse (although, you can't reach everywhere that the salt water does when the trailer is sunk). One major problem is the tendency of hot bearings to shed their grease and injest cold water (easily mitigated with Bearing Buddies, which are not standard equipment).

Mike

Re: Beach Wheels .......... question ?????? [Re: Jake] #268540
01/18/14 07:21 AM
01/18/14 07:21 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
Originally Posted by Jake
Because we need to get enough surface area on the tires so they don't sink into soft sand. To get that surface area, they need big tires. They also need to be light so we can thrown them over our shoulders. These two factors drive what we have today.

The question you should probably be asking, is why don't we back our trailers in to the water to launch the boats?

[Linked Image]
I can understand the concept fully when we are talking pneumatic tyres and the need for ultra lightweight trolleys, obviously we have the problem where the 'floatation' is enhanced by the pneumatic tyres........

but what about the plastic barrel style ......
[Linked Image]

why are these sealed so that they too float ?
the only logical reason I can come up with is for assistance in structural strength of the lightweight plastic... otherwise I'm at a loss as to why.

So we 'need' a wheel that will move over sand, the pneumatic tyre and the plastic barrel both do this with the slight advantage going to the pneumatic tyre as it has some flex in the tyres sidewalls compared to the rigid plastic wheel.....
equals a slightly smoother ride for the boat
smile

then the grey matter started grinding over.......

[Linked Image]

not wide enough, weight is unknown, and price wouldn't be all that friendly......
eek

but great potential

wink

Yar, & this ere post be done without a sin'le drop o' rum passin' me lips

Kingy
started with Impara Cadet #3 / Mosquito #245
& now Mosquitos #1182 & #1740

Re: Beach Wheels .......... question ?????? [Re: Pirate] #268541
01/18/14 08:12 AM
01/18/14 08:12 AM
Greenville SC
bacho Offline
old hand
bacho  Offline
old hand

Greenville SC
I think sinking beach wheels would be much harder to use than what we have now. It would also add to the weight that has to be yanked out of the water. Getting a boat onto the wheels in the water can be a chore, but at least the wheels float and keep themselves under the boat. I can just imagine the scene at the dock after someone lost their wheels to the bottom in 5-6 feet of water on a cold day.

I wouldn't really wanting to be dipping my sail boxes full of gear into the water either.

Re: Beach Wheels .......... question ?????? [Re: Pirate] #268542
01/18/14 08:23 AM
01/18/14 08:23 AM
S
srm Offline
enthusiast
srm  Offline
enthusiast
S

Ideally, the wheels would be neutrally bouyant so the axle/cradles float right at the surface. I'm thinking a solid/non-pneumatic wheel like shown above and then flotation added to the axle. You definitley don't want the wheels to sink, you just want the axle to sit about six or ten inches lower in the water.

sm

Re: Beach Wheels .......... question ?????? [Re: Pirate] #268543
01/18/14 08:43 AM
01/18/14 08:43 AM
Santiago, Chile
Andinista Offline
enthusiast
Andinista  Offline
enthusiast

Santiago, Chile
Good idea. Either sinking or neutrally buoyant. If weigth is not sacrificed it would be a great product. Otherwise, i prefer to live with the pain of getting them in and out the hulls, it's not such a big deal really. I guess that the central handle can facilitate that a bit. Also it is probably a bigger problem for skeg hulls?(deeper)

Re: Beach Wheels .......... question ?????? [Re: bacho] #268546
01/18/14 10:01 AM
01/18/14 10:01 AM

M
MN3
Unregistered
MN3
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by bacho
Getting a boat onto the wheels in the water can be a chore

I just push my cat out into slightly deeper water and slide the wheels under without any problem

Re: Beach Wheels .......... question ?????? [Re: ] #268547
01/18/14 10:06 AM
01/18/14 10:06 AM
Greenville SC
bacho Offline
old hand
bacho  Offline
old hand

Greenville SC
Originally Posted by MN3
Getting a boat onto the wheels in the water can be a chore

I just push my cat out into slightly deeper water and slide the wheels under without any problem

I normally do mine in deeper water as well. In some situation we use 2-3 people per boat, so I can see the desire for a less buoyant wheel system. If going up and down a boat ramp is the norm, I would suggest the narrower wheelbarrow style wheels seen on A class dollies.

Re: Beach Wheels .......... question ?????? [Re: bacho] #268548
01/18/14 11:40 AM
01/18/14 11:40 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
a heavier set of beach wheels would slow Jake down even more than the positively buoyant ones when he sails off with them still attached to the underside.

Jay

Re: Beach Wheels .......... question ?????? [Re: Pirate] #268551
01/18/14 01:20 PM
01/18/14 01:20 PM
Greenville SC
bacho Offline
old hand
bacho  Offline
old hand

Greenville SC
Maybe we should be developing retractable landing gear?

Re: Beach Wheels .......... question ?????? [Re: Pirate] #268614
01/21/14 06:43 AM
01/21/14 06:43 AM
Netherlands
DennisMe Offline
addict
DennisMe  Offline
addict

Netherlands
Richard Woods actually tried that once a while ago. He built wheels into one of his micro-multihull cabin cruisers.
I think it was too complicated to make and added too much weight / drag.
You could probably make an external bracket that attached to the front beam and allowed you to swing the wheels up above the water, but I'm not sure it would look too sexy...

Re: Beach Wheels .......... question ?????? [Re: DennisMe] #268617
01/21/14 08:17 AM
01/21/14 08:17 AM
Petten Netherlands
N
northsea junkie Offline
addict
northsea junkie  Offline
addict
N

Petten Netherlands
I would give a lot for a good and workable design of such a gear.

When I was starting to build my own cat, I gave it a lot of thought, but never came up with something which could work in a bumpy sea and a striking brake.

I sail always single-handed and because I'm getting older, it becomes harder and harder to pull my cat without beachwheels alone in and out the water. And the limp and soft sandcondition on my spot makes that even worse.

So, any ideas?????????

ronald
RAIDER-15 (homebuilt)

hey boy, what did you do over there, alone far out at sea?..
"huh....., that's the only place where I'm happy, sir.
Re: Beach Wheels .......... question ?????? [Re: Pirate] #268618
01/21/14 08:55 AM
01/21/14 08:55 AM
Greenville SC
bacho Offline
old hand
bacho  Offline
old hand

Greenville SC
Ronald,

How much does your Boat weigh? What size wheels are you currently using?

Last edited by bacho; 01/21/14 08:56 AM.
Re: Beach Wheels .......... question ?????? [Re: DennisMe] #268619
01/21/14 09:09 AM
01/21/14 09:09 AM

M
MN3
Unregistered
MN3
Unregistered
M

when we camp with our cats, often we will put a set of wheels on top of the front bows (a real pain w/ a spin bridal) and take the wheels to the islands with us. This allows us to pull our cats up on a beach overnight. They are a huge pita and i would never sail with them except for this reason. the windage is extremely noticeable, the weight effects the coe, and they look terrible.

If i needed to take them more than a few miles, i would probably try Hobie Gary's method (a few pvc tubes with boat fenders on them)
Originally Posted by DennisMe

You could probably make an external bracket that attached to the front beam and allowed you to swing the wheels up above the water, but I'm not sure it would look too sexy...

Re: Beach Wheels .......... question ?????? [Re: bacho] #268622
01/21/14 09:36 AM
01/21/14 09:36 AM
Petten Netherlands
N
northsea junkie Offline
addict
northsea junkie  Offline
addict
N

Petten Netherlands
Ronald,

How much does your Boat weigh? What size wheels are you currently using?

My cat, fully loaded, weighs between 140-150 kg. So its a big drag over the sand.

Ofcourse I have a bigwheel (21x12-8) trax with me. I even use that for the transport between my house and the beach (about 1 km).

The problem with singlehanded sailing that you miss a couple of hands keeping the cat at the floodline while you are storing or fetching the trax .

As I have explained some time ago, I cannot leave my cat unguarded too long on the beach.

Last edited by northsea junkie; 01/21/14 09:42 AM.

ronald
RAIDER-15 (homebuilt)

hey boy, what did you do over there, alone far out at sea?..
"huh....., that's the only place where I'm happy, sir.
Re: Beach Wheels .......... question ?????? [Re: northsea junkie] #268627
01/21/14 10:06 AM
01/21/14 10:06 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
hmmm.... design a Carbon Fiber, robotic "spider" that can walk under the trampoline, rise up and connect with the four inside corners of the beams (front and rear), lift the cat and walk it up the beach...

Or, motorized/waterproof beach wheels that you control with remote and can drive the boat up on the beach. All you'd have to do is balance...?

Jay

Re: Beach Wheels .......... question ?????? [Re: waterbug_wpb] #268636
01/21/14 11:28 AM
01/21/14 11:28 AM

M
MN3
Unregistered
MN3
Unregistered
M

or teach some north sea seals how to crew / hold the cat for you / maybe even a few sea lions to "carry" the cat in and out of the water for you.

Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
hmmm.... design a Carbon Fiber, robotic "spider" that can walk under the trampoline, rise up and connect with the four inside corners of the beams (front and rear), lift the cat and walk it up the beach...

Or, motorized/waterproof beach wheels that you control with remote and can drive the boat up on the beach. All you'd have to do is balance...?

Re: Beach Wheels .......... question ?????? [Re: Pirate] #268637
01/21/14 11:38 AM
01/21/14 11:38 AM
Greenville SC
bacho Offline
old hand
bacho  Offline
old hand

Greenville SC
It seems to me that building a retractable system to bolt to the beams would not be all that difficult. They could include a linkage to turn them sideways as they are pulled up. The design in my head suffers greatly though when such a wide tire is required. It seems it would have to weigh at least 50lbs.

It may be worthwhile in a setting like yours with a frequent need for wheels in a hurry, or in a point to point race that requires transport over land in the middle.

Last edited by bacho; 01/21/14 11:41 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 253 guests, and 85 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022