Announcements
New Discussions
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Dart 15 #271471
04/15/14 11:40 PM
04/15/14 11:40 PM
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 337
Arizona
AzCat Offline OP
enthusiast
AzCat  Offline OP
enthusiast

Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 337
Arizona
I just picked up a Dart 15 in Yuma Az of all places. It's likely to be my new single hander, after a little work. If there is anyone out tn
Here with knowledge of the Dart 15, I would like to get some questions answered.

First off, there is a strap that runs diagonally across the tramp, supposedly to hold the hulls together as they are not bolted in place. Is the strap necessary or would a bias cut tramp do the same thing?

If anyone out there has sailed one, is it worth putting it on the water or is it a dawg?

Anyone sailed a d15 with a square top and is the mod worth the cash?


Auscat MKV 444 A class
NACRA I-20- 440/CATHATKA
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Dart 15 [Re: AzCat] #271472
04/15/14 11:42 PM
04/15/14 11:42 PM
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 337
Arizona
AzCat Offline OP
enthusiast
AzCat  Offline OP
enthusiast

Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 337
Arizona
Also, how can I find out what year it is? There is a serial# in the stb hull!


Auscat MKV 444 A class
NACRA I-20- 440/CATHATKA
Re: Dart 15 [Re: AzCat] #271473
04/16/14 12:15 AM
04/16/14 12:15 AM
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 98
N
NacramanUK Offline
journeyman
NacramanUK  Offline
journeyman
N

Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 98
Originally Posted by azcat
I just picked up a Dart 15 in Yuma Az of all places. It's likely to be my new single hander, after a little work. If there is anyone out tn
Here with knowledge of the Dart 15, I would like to get some questions answered.

First off, there is a strap that runs diagonally across the tramp, supposedly to hold the hulls together as they are not bolted in place. Is the strap necessary or would a bias cut tramp do the same thing?

If anyone out there has sailed one, is it worth putting it on the water or is it a dawg?

Anyone sailed a d15 with a square top and is the mod worth the cash?


Hi,
Although it was originally called the Dart 15 it is now called the Sprint 15 (manufacturing politics!) and has a very strong following in the UK and a very active UK class association who will be able to help you with all your questions.

http://www.sprint15.com

There is now a 'square' top variant of the Sprint 15 raced in the UK called the Sprint 15 DX

http://www.dxcatamaran.co.uk

Last edited by NacramanUK; 04/16/14 09:23 AM.
Re: Dart 15 [Re: NacramanUK] #271480
04/16/14 07:26 AM
04/16/14 07:26 AM
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 126
southern Ontario
Twister Offline
member
Twister  Offline
member

Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 126
southern Ontario
The Dart 18 has the same diagonal strap on the tramp. A bias cut tramp would be fine. I know there are a few manufacturers that make a pretty good replacement for the 18, not sure about the 15 though.


Ryan
Dart 18 #4860
Re: Dart 15 [Re: AzCat] #271483
04/16/14 08:29 AM
04/16/14 08:29 AM
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 890
Dunedin Causeway, FL
David Parker Offline
old hand
David Parker  Offline
old hand

Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 890
Dunedin Causeway, FL
Originally Posted by azcat
Also, how can I find out what year it is? There is a serial# in the stb hull!


The Darts imported into the USA did not have hull numbers stamped into the STB hull like US boats. There is a hand written number inside one hull that seems to be just a manufacturer's number.

BE CAREFUL with registration and title! In Florida state agencies have been nasty about accepting this number and in one Dart 18 case the state would not issue a hull ID. They said they considered the boat stolen without a legitimate hull ID. The terrified owner destroyed the hulls and parted out the boat!

Do you have a title and registration? If so, what hull ID# is listed?

Re: Dart 15 [Re: NacramanUK] #271488
04/16/14 11:44 AM
04/16/14 11:44 AM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,203
uk
TEAMVMG Offline
veteran
TEAMVMG  Offline
veteran

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,203
uk
Originally Posted by NacramanUK

Hi,
Although it was originally called the Dart 15 it is now called the Sprint 15 (manufacturing politics!)


c'mon Carl, you're older than that - you know it was called the SPARK before it was the Dart 15!


Paul

teamvmg.weebly.com
Re: Dart 15 [Re: AzCat] #271494
04/16/14 01:19 PM
04/16/14 01:19 PM
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 337
Arizona
AzCat Offline OP
enthusiast
AzCat  Offline OP
enthusiast

Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 337
Arizona
Yea, this one is actually the Spark 15. Just figured I would eliminate speculation and confusion.
Arizona doesn't require registration on this boat, so no worries.? All you get here is a bill of sale.
The guy that parted the boat out should have told them that he built the boat himself out of scrap leftover parts.
I'm aware of the existence of the DX square top MOD, but I'm wondering about how the boat and the 2 piece mast with no spreaders handles it. If it handles it well, I may throw a monster high aspect sq top in it. My understanding is that the Darts are built for much higher winds than we generally have here in AZ. I want this old girl powered up! But don't want to break things .
Also would like to know how to read the Ser #. Or if it can tell me anything about the boats year of manufacture. And no, I won't list that # here!


Auscat MKV 444 A class
NACRA I-20- 440/CATHATKA
Re: Dart 15 [Re: TEAMVMG] #271500
04/16/14 02:07 PM
04/16/14 02:07 PM
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 98
N
NacramanUK Offline
journeyman
NacramanUK  Offline
journeyman
N

Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 98
Originally Posted by TEAMVMG
Originally Posted by NacramanUK

Hi,
Although it was originally called the Dart 15 it is now called the Sprint 15 (manufacturing politics!)


Shhhh Team VMG........I was trying to keep my age a secret......
c'mon Carl, you're older than that - you know it was called the SPARK before it was the Dart 15!

Re: Dart 15 [Re: AzCat] #271501
04/16/14 02:14 PM
04/16/14 02:14 PM
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 98
N
NacramanUK Offline
journeyman
NacramanUK  Offline
journeyman
N

Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 98
Originally Posted by azcat
Yea, this one is actually the Spark 15. Just figured I would eliminate speculation and confusion.
Arizona doesn't require registration on this boat, so no worries.? All you get here is a bill of sale.
The guy that parted the boat out should have told them that he built the boat himself out of scrap leftover parts.
I'm aware of the existence of the DX square top MOD, but I'm wondering about how the boat and the 2 piece mast with no spreaders handles it. If it handles it well, I may throw a monster high aspect sq top in it. My understanding is that the Darts are built for much higher winds than we generally have here in AZ. I want this old girl powered up! But don't want to break things .
Also would like to know how to read the Ser #. Or if it can tell me anything about the boats year of manufacture. And no, I won't list that # here!


The DX main works with the two piece mast ........as I said, email the class associations for more info on your boat.......usually 50 plus boats at the UK nationals and original designer (Ian Fraser) now in control of production if I am not mistaken......the association will without doubt be able to identify the age of your boat and help with any questions.....

Re: Dart 15 [Re: AzCat] #271513
04/16/14 05:39 PM
04/16/14 05:39 PM
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 337
Arizona
AzCat Offline OP
enthusiast
AzCat  Offline OP
enthusiast

Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 337
Arizona
I'll get in touch with them then, thanks for your response.


Auscat MKV 444 A class
NACRA I-20- 440/CATHATKA

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 14 guests, and 226 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bmcmurr3, sdm27, CanadaMetal, Jamil, Maistrello
8113 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,395
Posts267,034
Members8,113
Most Online1,650
Sep 10th, 2019
--Advertisement--
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1