04/25/14 02:26 PM
04/25/14 02:26 PM
Issaquah, WA, USA
H17cat Offline OP
old hand
H17cat  Offline OP
old hand

Issaquah, WA, USA
Excellent video by Nevin Sayre on Sailing Programs: http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2014/04/23/video-adding-adventure-sailing-junior-program/

While it does not include Multihulls, it does address sailing programs and the need to make changes. We are attempting to do similar things at Sail Sand Point in Seattle with our Waves, H-16's, Stand Up Boards, Kayaks, Keel Boats, in addition to the Opti's, Lasers, and FJ's.

Caleb
www.sailsandpoint.org

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Adventure Sailing with Nevin Sayre [Re: H17cat] #272042
04/30/14 10:34 PM
04/30/14 10:34 PM
M
makdaddy386 Offline
stranger
makdaddy386  Offline
stranger
M

This guy absolutely hit the nail on the head. I hadn't been exposed to sailing much my entire life. I had buddies who grew up through our local sailing center but never got involved myself. I have grown up surfing, wakeboarding, and snowboarding my whole life and at the age of 27 finally got a crazy itch to learn how to sail and purchased a Hobie 17. I have solely fell in love with it for no other reason than adventure sailing. I don't know anything about racing, and actually I can't put my H17 in the water without everyone stopping me to ask questions just because it's so abnormal here. The love for me is doing something different and unique. I absolutely love cruising out to our local sandbar and being the only boat without a motor to wedge into the masses of center-consoles. People look at me like I'm an alien and I think its hilarious. I also enjoy SUPs and would love to learn Kiting.

Beyond that, I have the pleasure of taken children who have lost their fathers through military service to our local US Sailing Center where we take them out on Hobie Waves. This further proves the narrators point as what we are just lazy cruising around playing glorified pirate games and generally being silly. There is no racing involved. Almost every time, the kids think the sailing portion of the weekend will be the lame event before attending and walk away thinking sailing is awesome. And I think it's exactly for the reasons discussed in the video.

Nice link. He's on to something.

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 502 guests, and 84 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022