04/29/14 01:52 PM
04/29/14 01:52 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

I've used Dakines on a Hobie 16 in the past (early to mid-90s). I put them on the side rail (didn't want to add holes in the hull). Never had an issue with getting a bootied-foot into or out of them, they were adjustable as I recall. I never capsized or pitchpoled while using them, so I can't say whether it would have been a problem.

Having said that, almost none of the top H16 guys use (any brand of) straps. Most call them "ankle breakers."

I never put them on any of my new boats (owned three starting in 1997). I can think of lots of capsizes that would have been avoided with them, however...

Mike

Last edited by brucat; 04/29/14 02:18 PM.
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: footstraps can hurt! [Re: brucat] #271952
04/29/14 02:38 PM
04/29/14 02:38 PM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
if the strap goes past the ball of your foot, it's too far.

As Jake said, it should take a bit of muscle to hold your foot there, so it would be relatively easy to get out of should there be a problem. Wedging your foot in the strap spells eventual disaster.

Jay

Re: footstraps can hurt! [Re: Dazz] #271953
04/29/14 03:10 PM
04/29/14 03:10 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
This has been said a million times before but the footstraps keep your feet from getting swept off by a wave , a chickenline keeps the rest of you in the back of the bus. Wouldn't have done much to help the crew in the vid though, unless she had lines for and aft like we used in the Worrells and Tybees. Too much spaghetti for buoy racing though.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: footstraps can hurt! [Re: Dazz] #271954
04/29/14 03:49 PM
04/29/14 03:49 PM
Petten Netherlands
N
northsea junkie Offline
addict
northsea junkie  Offline
addict
N

Petten Netherlands
I asked Dazz, who started this thread and broke his foot, after the rather low trapeze-hook position.

I asked that because when sailing at sea and using the hookposition from the vid that is impossible. You are hit from the cat in the first wave you meet.

So, for me using a low hookposition, looks more something for flatwater sailing. Nevertheless I keep wondering why you want to chose for such a low position as is seen on the vid.
I mean he was hanging in an angle of more than 90 degrees to the hull.

Is that still usefull?? 90 degrees gives the most leverage, doesn't it. And even so, a footstrap is supposed to keep you from being pulled forward and not from pushed backward. So if there is a serious risk for that last, do not ever use the footstrap,

Last edited by northsea junkie; 04/29/14 03:56 PM.

ronald
RAIDER-15 (homebuilt)

hey boy, what did you do over there, alone far out at sea?..
"huh....., that's the only place where I'm happy, sir.
Re: footstraps can hurt! [Re: Dazz] #271955
04/29/14 03:51 PM
04/29/14 03:51 PM
+31NL
Tony_F18 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Tony_F18  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

+31NL
IMHO the AHPC footstraps are too soft and harder to kick out of than the Magicmarine/Nacra one's.

Re: footstraps can hurt! [Re: Dazz] #271956
04/29/14 04:02 PM
04/29/14 04:02 PM
Hillsborough, NC USA
I
Isotope235 Offline
old hand
Isotope235  Offline
old hand
I

Hillsborough, NC USA
You'd think somebody would invent a breakaway footstrap, kind of like the binding release on downhill skis.

Re: footstraps can hurt! [Re: northsea junkie] #271959
04/29/14 05:11 PM
04/29/14 05:11 PM
Greenville SC
bacho Offline
old hand
bacho  Offline
old hand

Greenville SC
Originally Posted by northsea junkie
I asked Dazz, who started this thread and broke his foot, after the rather low trapeze-hook position.

I asked that because when sailing at sea and using the hookposition from the vid that is impossible. You are hit from the cat in the first wave you meet.

So, for me using a low hookposition, looks more something for flatwater sailing. Nevertheless I keep wondering why you want to chose for such a low position as is seen on the vid.
I mean he was hanging in an angle of more than 90 degrees to the hull.

Is that still usefull?? 90 degrees gives the most leverage, doesn't it. And even so, a footstrap is supposed to keep you from being pulled forward and not from pushed backward. So if there is a serious risk for that last, do not ever use the footstrap,

As far as I can tell, that video is not of Dazz.

Re: footstraps can hurt! [Re: northsea junkie] #271961
04/29/14 06:13 PM
04/29/14 06:13 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
[Linked Image]
Untitled by Green Room Graphics, on Flickr

This is what I'm talking about...a much more open loop than the DaKine style straps.

Last edited by Jake; 04/29/14 06:13 PM.

Jake Kohl
Re: footstraps can hurt! [Re: Dazz] #271962
04/29/14 06:21 PM
04/29/14 06:21 PM
Hobart, Tasmania, Oz.
Dazz Offline OP
addict
Dazz  Offline OP
addict

Hobart, Tasmania, Oz.
The video is of Julia and James sailing the Viper, Julia is the one with the busted foot and the moon boot to prove it!

It has been said that that the nosedive was cause by the skipper not concentrating on where he is going. I tend to agree that Julia could have been trapping a little higher so she didn't hit the waves.

C2 AUS 222 by Goodall design
"Darph Bobo"
Re: footstraps can hurt! [Re: Jake] #271963
04/29/14 06:22 PM
04/29/14 06:22 PM
Hobart, Tasmania, Oz.
Dazz Offline OP
addict
Dazz  Offline OP
addict

Hobart, Tasmania, Oz.
Originally Posted by Jake
[Linked Image]

This is what I'm talking about...a much more open loop than the DaKine style straps.

standard equipment on C2 and Vipers now, my C2 came with those.

"Darph Bobo"
Re: footstraps can hurt! [Re: Dazz] #271964
04/29/14 06:48 PM
04/29/14 06:48 PM
Hobart, Tasmania, Oz.
Dazz Offline OP
addict
Dazz  Offline OP
addict

Hobart, Tasmania, Oz.
Now I'm not saying this boat has a history of nosediving, but... in this picture you can see the boat was fitted with the new style magic marine foot straps.

James & Julia

"Darph Bobo"
Re: footstraps can hurt! [Re: Dazz] #271967
04/29/14 08:02 PM
04/29/14 08:02 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Um, OK... Just watched the video; agree, he was looking backwards right before he lost it, probably could have happened to anyone.

How do you get the boat back under control without capsizing, single handed downwind, with the chute up? Can you just sheet everything out and round up?

Mike

Re: footstraps can hurt! [Re: brucat] #271968
04/29/14 08:21 PM
04/29/14 08:21 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by brucat
Um, OK... Just watched the video; agree, he was looking backwards right before he lost it, probably could have happened to anyone.

How do you get the boat back under control without capsizing, single handed downwind, with the chute up? Can you just sheet everything out and round up?

Mike

You foot deep, but not jibe, then either hope your helm is very neutral or hold it with your foot and douse. I've had to do it a few times.One of them (Hogsbreath 2002) I didn't get the "not jibe part" right and gave myself a concussion with the boom. Temporarily blacked out as the boat flipped over and came to with a death grip on a chickenline seconds (I guess) after hitting the water.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: footstraps can hurt! [Re: Jake] #271969
04/30/14 12:24 AM
04/30/14 12:24 AM
Petten Netherlands
N
northsea junkie Offline
addict
northsea junkie  Offline
addict
N

Petten Netherlands
[Linked Image]

But Jake, the openess of the loop that you want, is fully determined by how you screw the strap on the hull.

Mounted on a horizontal level you can bend the strapends before the fixation a little so that they make a little horizontal angle to each other, resulting in any openess that you want. (Besides the fact that you can adjust the bow itself by the screw distance and the adjustable velcro-mechanism.)

Your fixation with one strapend horizontal and one vertical on the transom itself, I would never use. What do you gain :one or two inches more backward? But your method makes it clear why you have troubles with forming a nice fit for the Dakines.

I like to comment more on the almost standard common used strap position on cat-hulls :

[Linked Image]Afb002 by northseajunkie, on Flickr[/img]

You see that I created a much more vertical angled platform for my both feet and I made a specific full platform for my strap. The risk of being trapped in a fall, or when loosing the wire, is much less now. Besides it stands much more comfortable for your feet.

It seems to me that footstraps and their position are still a "stepchild" for cathull designers. You can see on the new Nacra-17's that they made a small step in adapting the hull form a little bit, but not enough TMnHO.

Last edited by northsea junkie; 04/30/14 06:40 AM.

ronald
RAIDER-15 (homebuilt)

hey boy, what did you do over there, alone far out at sea?..
"huh....., that's the only place where I'm happy, sir.
Re: footstraps can hurt! [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #271980
04/30/14 07:14 AM
04/30/14 07:14 AM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Downwind, got it. Probably not as easy as it sounds, especially if the crew is separated (said Captain Obvious)...

Mike

Re: footstraps can hurt! [Re: Jake] #271982
04/30/14 07:45 AM
04/30/14 07:45 AM
France
pepin Offline
old hand
pepin  Offline
old hand

France
[Linked Image]

A word of warning. I've read reports that boats with straps positioned as this picture were said to not be class legal at the A Class World this year: it "increases the hull length". You may agree or not with the decision, but the chief measurer was adamant. Depending on which class of boat you sail you may want to position them differently.

However, considering the number of F18 with straps like this, it's probably a non-issue for that particular class.

Re: footstraps can hurt! [Re: pepin] #271983
04/30/14 08:08 AM
04/30/14 08:08 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by pepin
[Linked Image]

A word of warning. I've read reports that boats with straps positioned as this picture were said to not be class legal at the A Class World this year: it "increases the hull length". You may agree or not with the decision, but the chief measurer was adamant. Depending on which class of boat you sail you may want to position them differently.

However, considering the number of F18 with straps like this, it's probably a non-issue for that particular class.

[Linked Image]

Huh...so the footstraps should also be made out of hard stuff since it is, by his definition, part of the hull? That's silly.

MATERIALS
(a) The hull shells shall be built from polyester or vinylester resin, glass
fibres, polyester gel coat, the combination of wood-epoxy or injected
plastic with a core of PVC or balsa or felt. The hull shells shall not be
altered, other than locally for fittings and passage of equipment and normal
reinforcement. Epoxy glue is permitted for joining components. Every
material that is not expressly permitted is prohibited.

Added to which, optional fittings are specifically listed and include footstraps. So, lets take this to the next step; fittings for rudders are also listed as optional items in the same section...by his definition of the footstraps being an extension of the hull, the rudder pintles/gudgeons should also clearly be included in the hull measurement. They are not and have never been even though the rules don't explicitly exclude them from the hull measurement in the same identical way the footstraps are defined. If we subscribed to his interpretation of what constitutes "the hull", every F18 in the world is now illegal. The intent in the rule with regards of the hull measurement is clear and it doesn't include footstraps or rudder pintles....that guy is misopinionated. One man's opinion does not a law make.

What's next? If a crew retention line or trapeze ring swings outside the hull dimension, I'm suddenly illegal?

(b) OPTIONAL
(1) Fittings for the attachment of the trampoline.
(2) Fittings for adjustment of sails and rig.
(3) Foot loops, toe straps, trapeze gear, crew restraining line.
(4) Fittings for rudders.
(5) Centreboard/daggerboard retention/placement fittings.
(6) Inspection hatches.

Jake Kohl
Re: footstraps can hurt! [Re: Dazz] #271984
04/30/14 08:47 AM
04/30/14 08:47 AM
mikekrantz Offline
old hand
mikekrantz  Offline
old hand

I can confirm what Pepin said. At the A-class worlds last Feb. It was determined that mounting the footstrap with the tab on the rear off the hull constituted part of the hull length and violated the class rule regarding hull length. Everyone had to move their strap forward to comply with the class rules. Rudders and their hardware are excluded, provided the leading edge of the rudder is no more than 3" of the transom. If the leading edge of the rudder is more than 3" of the transom, then the rudder is considered part of the hull measure meant, and the trailing edge is used to determine the 18' max hull length.

Re: footstraps can hurt! [Re: Dazz] #271985
04/30/14 08:50 AM
04/30/14 08:50 AM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

I don't have time to dig it up, but there are procedures for measurement, which apply to all boats. Then there are class rules and procedures.

While my "common sense" reaction is exactly the same as Jake's (and I believe I just made the same face as Chandler when I read Pepin's post), there may be more to the story. The class should work with that measurer to find out what he was thinking, and if still in dispute, should work with ISAF for clarification and/or retraining for the measurer, as appropriate.

Mike

Re: footstraps can hurt! [Re: Dazz] #271988
04/30/14 09:11 AM
04/30/14 09:11 AM
SE MI / NE IN
rehmbo Offline
enthusiast
rehmbo  Offline
enthusiast

SE MI / NE IN
Not sure I'm seeing things, but looks like her foot is really jammed in the strap - to the point you can see the front half on the other side. Wouldn't a larger opening encourage putting the foot in too far?

I like the idea of a break-away "fuse" that fails before your foot does.

Jeff R

H18, C2 USA1193
cramsailing.com
crescentsail.com
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 384 guests, and 122 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022