Hillsborough, NC USA
I
Isotope235 Offline OP
old hand
Isotope235  Offline OP
old hand
I

Hillsborough, NC USA
I often wish that the Racing Rules of Sailing did not use the term "right-of-way". Sailors frequently take it to mean that a boat has the right to do whatever she pleases, or, that no matter what else happens, she is "in the right". How many times have you heard a skipper claim "I have rights"?

Unfortuantely, that isn't what right-of-way means. The preamble to Part 2 Section A (Right of Way) states "A boat has right of way over another boat when the other boat is required to keep clear of her". That's all. "Right-of-way" is a shorthand expression meaning that the other boat must keep clear, nothing more. It does not imply any special privileges nor does it abrogate a boat's other responsibilities. The preamble goes on to say "However, some rules in Sections B, C, and D limit the actions of a right-of-way boat". Whenever two boats meet, there are requirements laid on both of them.

Instead of reading the rules as granting "rights", think of them as imposing "obligations". Rules in Section A (10 "On Opposite Tacks", 11 "On the Same Tack, Overlapped", 12 "On the Same Tack, Not Overlapped", and 13 "While Tacking") impose the obligation to keep clear. Rules in Sections B, C, and D place additional obligations, some on one boat, some on the other, and some on both.

Rule 14 "Avoiding Contact", for example, requires a boat to "avoid contact with another boat if reasonably possible". When two boats meet, both share that obligation.

Rules 15 "Acquiring Right of Way" and 16 "Changing Course" place an obligation on the right-of-way boat. They detail the circumstances when she must give the other boat room to keep clear.

Rule 17 "On the Same Tack; Proper Course" restricts a leeward boat from sailing above her proper course.

Rules 18 "Mark Room", 19 "Room to Pass an Obstruction", and 20 "Room to Tack at an Obstruction" detail the room one boat (and it could be either) must give another at a mark or obstruction.

I don't mean to provide a complete enumeration of a boat's obligations under the rules. The rule book is full of things a boat must do and things a boat must not do (rule 1.1 requires a boat to give all possible aid to any person or vessel in danger; rule 28 requires a boat to sail the course; rule 31 requires a boat to not touch a mark; etc.). In an encounter on the water, it's entirely possible for the give-way boat, the right-of-way boat, or both boats to meet, or fail to meet the requirements of the rules.

So, realize that "right-of-way" does not give a boat complete freedom. Don't get caught up with a boat's "rights". Focus on a boat's obligations instead.

I hope that helps,
Eric
US Sailing Certified Judge
Chair, SAYRA Appeals Committee

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" [Re: Isotope235] #275196
09/06/14 05:34 PM
09/06/14 05:34 PM
42.904444 N; 88.008586 W
Todd_Sails Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Todd_Sails  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

42.904444 N; 88.008586 W
Eric, We're not worthy, we're not worthy,...

Nice work

F-18 Infusion
#626- SOLD it!

'Long Live the Legend of Chris Kyle'
Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" [Re: Todd_Sails] #275216
09/08/14 11:34 AM
09/08/14 11:34 AM
Crofton, MD
Chris9 Offline
old hand
Chris9  Offline
old hand

Crofton, MD
Eric,

I think I know the answer, but I also know it would be good to check my understanding...

Situation:
Two boats sailing to windward. Both boats are on Port tack. As the windward boat enters the zone, windward is clear ahead by about a boat length and over stood a little. The leeward boat is clear astern and probably on the lay line. The windward boat is sailing slightly slower because of issues on board. Inside of the zone, leeward becomes overlapped to the outside of the windward boat. Mark needs to be left to port. Windward boat begins to turn up to initiate a tack, leeward boat does as well however turns more quickly and leewards port bow touches windward's starboard hull about at the rear beam connection... who was obligated to avoid who? With contact,some rule was broken?

Chris Allen
Nacra 20 Gertie
www.wrcra.org
Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" [Re: Isotope235] #275219
09/08/14 03:30 PM
09/08/14 03:30 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

The easy answer is that the leeward/outside/clear behind boat broke 18.2(b). The most important adjective there is clear behind, because she was clear behind when the other boat entered the zone.

Rule 14 was also broken by one or both, but we would need more information about how low the windward boat sailed while having "issues."

Mike

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" [Re: Isotope235] #275223
09/08/14 06:11 PM
09/08/14 06:11 PM
P
peterk Offline
stranger
peterk  Offline
stranger
P

This thread brings up an interesting idea, at least for me. As a guy that does not race, but is dabbling with the idea, a thread committed to examples, or challenge questions, would be a lot of fun.

One of the biggest issues for a noob when it comes to racing is not knowing what the hell is going on, so we never bother to try it, well that and the lack of open classes. Pete

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" [Re: brucat] #275226
09/08/14 09:20 PM
09/08/14 09:20 PM
Crofton, MD
Chris9 Offline
old hand
Chris9  Offline
old hand

Crofton, MD
Cool Mike, thanks. I was thinking that 18.2(a) applied and/ or maybe even rule 17. The "issues" that windward was having were preparing to tack right at the windward mark with 12 yr old running the jib and coming in off the wire in one to the occasional set of two foot waves.

So, how would your answer change if boats were overlapped? With windward entering zone first and leeward was still outside and both boats were on port enter entering zone?

Chris Allen
Nacra 20 Gertie
www.wrcra.org
Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" [Re: peterk] #275227
09/08/14 09:34 PM
09/08/14 09:34 PM
Crofton, MD
Chris9 Offline
old hand
Chris9  Offline
old hand

Crofton, MD
The rules can be intimidating. I have raced dinghies and mid-sized mono-hauls as crew for about 10 years and now catamarans as skipper for almost 10 years; w/ the catamaran crowd is much more relaxed and the willing to let things go and talk about it afterward...

As you can see, I'm still asking questions... its a life long learning process....enjoy the journey and have insurance;) Its cheap

Chris Allen
Nacra 20 Gertie
www.wrcra.org
Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" [Re: Isotope235] #275229
09/08/14 11:55 PM
09/08/14 11:55 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Well, Rule 17 applies, but there is the issue of proper course. At some point, the leeward/outside boat's proper course is to tack to go around that mark. As the inside/clear ahead boat, you're entitled to mark room per Rule 18.

In both cases, you are obligated to tack and round the mark, so if it comes out in a protest that you were sailing to Timbucktoo because your jib was jammed in a cleat, you might have a problem. Wind and sea conditions certainly play into any decision on whether you sailed too far before tacking, which is why I say it really needs to be heard in front of an experienced jury to get a more definitive answer.

I'm really tired, so someone else might be able to explain this better with some rule citations.

For those looking to learn the rules, there are some great online quizzes. The US Sailing and ISAF appeals and case books also have great diagrams and real stories with applicable rules. Tons of info there.

Mike

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" [Re: peterk] #275232
09/09/14 06:46 AM
09/09/14 06:46 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by peterk
This thread brings up an interesting idea, at least for me. As a guy that does not race, but is dabbling with the idea, a thread committed to examples, or challenge questions, would be a lot of fun.

One of the biggest issues for a noob when it comes to racing is not knowing what the hell is going on, so we never bother to try it, well that and the lack of open classes. Pete

Pete,

Although there are nuances in the rules that are a little tricky to master, you can achieve a solid understanding of the basics with very little effort. The rules themselves for "when boats meet" on the race course are only 6 small pages long. You can see the rule book here:

...well, I can't get the link to work here because it includes a "[" character. You'll need to copy/paste this into your browser:
http://www.sailing.org/tools/documents/ISAFRRS20132016Final-[13376].pdf

Some online quiz games:
http://game.finckh.net/indexe.htm
a paid for one here: http://www.uksailmakers.com/Education/Rules-Quiz.html

There are lots of others.

Last edited by Jake; 09/09/14 06:49 AM.

Jake Kohl
Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" [Re: Chris9] #275237
09/09/14 08:06 AM
09/09/14 08:06 AM
Hillsborough, NC USA
I
Isotope235 Offline OP
old hand
Isotope235  Offline OP
old hand
I

Hillsborough, NC USA
Originally Posted by Chris9
Two boats sailing to windward. Both boats are on Port tack. As the windward boat enters the zone, windward is clear ahead by about a boat length and over stood a little. The leeward boat is clear astern and probably on the lay line. The windward boat is sailing slightly slower because of issues on board. Inside of the zone, leeward becomes overlapped to the outside of the windward boat. Mark needs to be left to port. Windward boat begins to turn up to initiate a tack, leeward boat does as well however turns more quickly and leewards port bow touches windward's starboard hull about at the rear beam connection... who was obligated to avoid who? With contact,some rule was broken?

Let's first sort out what rule(s) apply. Before the boats reach the zone, the windward boat (w) is clear ahead. Rule 12 applies at that time. When they become overlapped, Rule 12 is replaced by Rule 11 and Rule 15 begins to apply. Also, when the leeward boat (L) becomes overlapped (from clear astern within two hull-lengths), Rule 17 applies to her. After the boats pass head-to-wind and until they are on a close-hauled course, Rule 13 applies. When she is changing course, rule 16.1 applies to L. Rule 14 applies to both boats. Also, and most importantly, Rule 18.2(b) applies from the moment the first boat enters the zone until W passes head-to-wind. After W passes head-to-wind, Rule 18.2(a) applies.

Now, we'll apply the obligations. When she is clear astern, L is obligated to keep clear of W (12). Upon becoming overlapped, W must keep clear of L (11). L must initially give W room to keep clear (15). L may not sail above her proper course (17). After both boats pass head-to-wind, until they reach a close-hauled course, W must keep clear of L (13). While she changes course, L must give W room to keep clear (16.1). Both boats must, if reasonably possible, avoid contact (14). While in the zone, L must give W mark-room (18.2(a)(b)).

Were any rules broken? Well, it's axiomatic that if two boats make contact, some rule must be broken, but let's look to see if the boats met all their obligations above. When astern, L kept clear of W. When overlapped to windward, W kept clear of L. L initially gave W room to keep clear. Assuming that L was able to fetch the mark when she tacked, L did not sail above her proper course. After passing head-to-wind, but before reaching a close-hauled course, L and W made contact. Therefore, I conclude that W did not keep clear of L. While changing course, L did not give W room to keep clear (assuming W's tack was seamanlike). W was not reasonably able to avoid contact (again, assuming her tack was seamanlike). L, however, was reasonably able to avoid contact, but she did not. Assuming that W was always sailing "to the mark" (not past it), then L did not give W mark-room.

So, (with the above assumptions) W breaks Rule 13. L breaks Rules 14, 16.1 and 18.2(a). Now we move on to exoneration. Assuming that W was "sailing within the mark-room to which she is entitled", Rule 21(a) exonerates her for breaking Rule 13 (Rule 64.1(a) could as well). Assuming that there was no injury nor damage, Rule 14(b) exonerates L for breaking Rule 14. L does not, however, receive any exoneration for her infractions of Rules 16.1 nor 18.2(a).

Note that I've made a few assumptions. If the facts were different, then the outcome could be as well.

The important point is that I never mentioned a boat's "rights" at all in the analysis. It was all about the boats' obligations under the rules, and whether or not each boat met her obligations.

I hope that helps,
Eric

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" [Re: brucat] #275238
09/09/14 08:31 AM
09/09/14 08:31 AM
Hillsborough, NC USA
I
Isotope235 Offline OP
old hand
Isotope235  Offline OP
old hand
I

Hillsborough, NC USA
Originally Posted by brucat
In both cases, you are obligated to tack and round the mark, so if it comes out in a protest that you were sailing to Timbucktoo because your jib was jammed in a cleat, you might have a problem. Wind and sea conditions certainly play into any decision on whether you sailed too far before tacking, which is why I say it really needs to be heard in front of an experienced jury to get a more definitive answer.

Although it may be necessary in order to sail the course, no rule specifically obligates a boat to tack at a mark. A boat (especially a catamaran) clear astern and slightly to windward certainly can prevent the other boat from tacking (provided her action does not break Rule 2). If the boats leave the zone then Rule 18 ceases to apply. If a boat sails beyond the "mark-room to which she is entitled", then she does not receive exoneration under rule 21. Those are important considerations, but a boat may legitimately drive another boat past a windward mark layline in order to gain a tactical advantage.

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" [Re: Isotope235] #275239
09/09/14 09:54 AM
09/09/14 09:54 AM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Originally Posted by Isotope235

Although it may be necessary in order to sail the course, no rule specifically obligates a boat to tack at a mark. A boat (especially a catamaran) clear astern and slightly to windward certainly can prevent the other boat from tacking (provided her action does not break Rule 2). If the boats leave the zone then Rule 18 ceases to apply. If a boat sails beyond the "mark-room to which she is entitled", then she does not receive exoneration under rule 21. Those are important considerations, but a boat may legitimately drive another boat past a windward mark layline in order to gain a tactical advantage.

Um, yeah... I was referring specifically to the case in question. If you're entitled to mark-room over an outside/leeward boat, you can't sail away from the mark just for strategic reasons.

That aside, I love the walk-down that you provided in the prior post!

Mike

Last edited by brucat; 09/09/14 09:58 AM.
Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" [Re: brucat] #275243
09/09/14 01:54 PM
09/09/14 01:54 PM
Hillsborough, NC USA
I
Isotope235 Offline OP
old hand
Isotope235  Offline OP
old hand
I

Hillsborough, NC USA
If you're entitled to mark-room over an outside/leeward boat, you can't sail away from the mark just for strategic reasons.

What rule says you can't?

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" [Re: Isotope235] #275244
09/09/14 03:50 PM
09/09/14 03:50 PM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
proper course? Maybe there's no rule for that...

Jay

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" [Re: Isotope235] #275245
09/09/14 04:15 PM
09/09/14 04:15 PM
Hillsborough, NC USA
I
Isotope235 Offline OP
old hand
Isotope235  Offline OP
old hand
I

Hillsborough, NC USA
Rule 18.4 "Gybing" states "When an inside overlapped right-of-way boat must gybe at a mark to sail her proper course, until she gybes she shall sail no farther from the mark than needed to sail that course...".

That places an obligation to gybe on a boat at a leeward mark, but there is no corollary rule that would require a boat to tack at a windward mark.

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" [Re: Isotope235] #275246
09/09/14 05:07 PM
09/09/14 05:07 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

If you're entitled to mark-room over an outside/leeward boat, you can't sail away from the mark just for strategic reasons.

What rule says you can't?

Definition of mark room.

Mike

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" [Re: brucat] #275248
09/09/14 05:50 PM
09/09/14 05:50 PM
Hillsborough, NC USA
I
Isotope235 Offline OP
old hand
Isotope235  Offline OP
old hand
I

Hillsborough, NC USA
Definition of mark room.

The definition of mark room details the amount of room that one boat must give another under Rule 18, but it does not place an obligation to tack on either boat.

Care to try again?

I'll go you one further and say that even if you AREN'T entitled to mark-room from (and in fact, even if you owe mark-room to) an outside/leeward boat, you CAN drive her beyond the mark. She can take you head-to-wind, but you are not obligated to tack, nor to give her room to tack.

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" [Re: Isotope235] #275250
09/09/14 08:23 PM
09/09/14 08:23 PM
Detroit, MI
mbounds Offline
Pooh-Bah
mbounds  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Detroit, MI
I'll go you one further and say that even if you AREN'T entitled to mark-room from (and in fact, even if you owe mark-room to) an outside/leeward boat, you CAN drive her beyond the mark. She can take you head-to-wind, but you are not obligated to tack, nor to give her room to tack.

Eric is quite right, as usual. As long as you don't break rules 11 or 12 (and the leeward boat doesn't break 13 or 16.1), you can ride them off to Yenemsvelt.

Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" [Re: Isotope235] #275251
09/09/14 08:54 PM
09/09/14 08:54 PM
Crofton, MD
Chris9 Offline
old hand
Chris9  Offline
old hand

Crofton, MD
Eric,

That description was great! Thank you!

Mike, you input was useful as well, thanks again.

I've started reading the ISAF cases and there are a couple that directly were helpful and I haven't made it out of the definition sections... There will be on board video of the situation when I get back from work related travel and do some editing... My 12 yr old was doing a great job considering it usually requires a full grown human.

Chris Allen
Nacra 20 Gertie
www.wrcra.org
Re: Racing Rules: "Right of Way" [Re: Isotope235] #275252
09/09/14 09:05 PM
09/09/14 09:05 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

OK, let's discuss in terms of obligations of the outside/leeward boat. He is the ROW boat, but is obligated to give the inside boat mark room, which is clearly defined as the room needed to round the mark. As it's been explained to me, the rule writers were very careful in the later books to distinguish ROW vs. mark room. Mark room is very limited.

Can you provide a case citation to defend your interpretation?

Mike

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 664 guests, and 79 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022