Best spinnaker halyard line material?
by '81 Hobie 16 Lac Leman. 03/31/24 10:31 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Love Cat sailor family, the site needs better flow/look IMHO [Re: Tim594] #277031
01/14/15 10:42 PM
01/14/15 10:42 PM
C
CatInTheHat Offline
journeyman
CatInTheHat  Offline
journeyman
C

Tim, thanks for taking the time and showing the interest to help our sport and this site. As someone who only checks in about every 6 months, its always great fun to see what's going on now. Based on how many responses your thread has generated in the last few days, and from a variety of posters, I can't say I am seeing a huge drop-off, but I leave that to the regulars to assess.

What's great about this site, is I feel it is the heart and soul of Rick and Mary. They have made sailing their life, and this site is their family history, and they have invited us all in to be a part of their family. Too much change and perhaps some of that would be lost.

That said, I do have an engineering background, and spend some time with website design, and do understand your desire to modernize the forum.

What is really happening is a much larger shift of how we all communicate. From the printing press and bibles and then magazines and newspapers, it was about 400 years that print media really dominated. Then Radio for say 20-30 years (and still some) and then TV for the past 60. Just in the last 15 years, has the internet slowly taken over, and social media in the last 5, to the point where many newspapers and magazines have gone/are going under, bookstores have closed, TV has diversified to cable, and now to internet, and most people spend more time on mobile devices than with TV or books or print or even desk top and laptop computers. Incredible, massive, rapid change if you look at the whole picture.

Then look at facebook winning over myspace. The rise of twitter. (Jay I think it would be #twit smile . Instagram, etc. But i promise u in 2 years, while these will likely still dominate, new ones will arise, and perhaps eclipse these. Google, facebook, Apple alone have enough cash to buy EVERY SINGLE OTHER MEDIA COMPANY IN THE WORLD. Apple could buy ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX if they so wanted. Pretty crazy.

So should we radically change our known brand to chase down the latest fad? I don't know, maybe, maybe not. But I tend to like the idea of a cleanup more than a major alteration, and of course no moderation (we all need to respect each other of course).

What I do know is this site exists because Rick and Mary come to work each day and keep it going. While the rest of us may get wild hairs about contributing to the site/sport/whatever, realistically, it takes a dedicated leader, and that is Rick, and if he wants us to help him update it, then I think we will step up and do so. If he is happy with it, then I think it stands as his until he asks someone else to help out. If someone else does come in to help out, they/we will need to be very dedicated to see the project thru to completion. The last thing we would need is a half baked renovation.

Well I think I just spend a page saying nothing really, but that's part of the fun of this site. Tim, maybe you should PM Rick and see how he feels about it all.

later

Larry

P.S. Everyone stop playing on your computers and please come sail in the Florida 300 this year, thank you.

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Love Cat sailor family, the site needs better flow/look IMHO [Re: Tim594] #277038
01/15/15 04:17 AM
01/15/15 04:17 AM
Petten Netherlands
N
northsea junkie Offline
addict
northsea junkie  Offline
addict
N

Petten Netherlands
So, as far as I have followed this (meta-)discussion about the forum itself correctly, nothing really will be changed.
I'm very pleased with that; a sigh of relief here on the other side of the ocean.

P.S.
I must say that I enjoyed Karl's honest outburst in his latest post very much. It was exiting to read and in fact epic....

These posts are for me the currants in the porridge.

Last edited by northsea junkie; 01/15/15 04:50 AM.

ronald
RAIDER-15 (homebuilt)

hey boy, what did you do over there, alone far out at sea?..
"huh....., that's the only place where I'm happy, sir.
Re: Love Cat sailor family, the site needs better flow/look IMHO [Re: Tim594] #277041
01/15/15 08:09 AM
01/15/15 08:09 AM
Kingston SE South Australia
JeffS Offline
veteran
JeffS  Offline
veteran

Kingston SE South Australia
Lots of great input in this thread if nothing else it got some people to start posting a bit more, I see Wouters name mentioned a bit, to follow what happened you really need to read most of the junior sailing thread, in particular trying to get the F12 going, he delayed writing the box rules by a very long time when we had people waiting to build boats, then he claimed ownership of all things F12 globally, then when nobody agreed had hissy fit and left

Jeff Southall
Current boats
Nacra 5.8 1703 Animal Scanning Services
Nacra 5.8 1667 Ram Raider
Nacra 18 Square
Arrow 1576
Re: Love Cat sailor family, the site needs better flow/look IMHO [Re: CatInTheHat] #277046
01/15/15 10:49 AM
01/15/15 10:49 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
Originally Posted by CatInTheHat
Google, facebook, Apple alone have enough cash to buy EVERY SINGLE OTHER MEDIA COMPANY IN THE WORLD. Apple could buy ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX if they so wanted. Pretty crazy.

Not too crazy... just business as usual for the BORG

Great to see you checking in Larry. Good luck on the 300+

And yes, Karl, you beachcatters are a minority of a minority. As a third-legger, I guess I'm a
minority of a
minority of a
minority

or m-cubed I guess?

Last edited by waterbug_wpb; 01/15/15 10:55 AM.

Jay

Re: Love Cat sailor family, the site needs better flow/look IMHO [Re: Tim594] #277049
01/15/15 12:58 PM
01/15/15 12:58 PM
Northfield Mn
Karl_Brogger Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Karl_Brogger  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Northfield Mn
M^3?

And yes, those Nazis are always to blame. Indiana Jones taught me that as a child. In Diana Jones taught me other useful things though.

I'm boatless.
Re: Love Cat sailor family, the site needs better flow/look IMHO [Re: Tim594] #277188
01/22/15 07:41 PM
01/22/15 07:41 PM
Tim594 Offline OP
stranger
Tim594  Offline OP
stranger

For some reason I can't visit this site at all on my iPhone 6. Anyone else tried it?

Tim Grover
Memphis TN

Hobie 16
Hobie 18
Hobie 20
Re: Love Cat sailor family, the site needs better flow/look IMHO [Re: Tim594] #277206
01/23/15 10:23 AM
01/23/15 10:23 AM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Originally Posted by Tim594
For some reason I can't visit this site at all on my iPhone 6...

Finally, after all these years, man has created the first truly "smart" phone!

...sent from my dumb old Android...

Mike

Re: Love Cat sailor family, the site needs better flow/look IMHO [Re: Tim594] #277214
01/23/15 12:46 PM
01/23/15 12:46 PM
SE MI / NE IN
rehmbo Offline
enthusiast
rehmbo  Offline
enthusiast

SE MI / NE IN
Yes Tim - same issue here. I get an "AccessDenied" error.

I think it's recognizing the mobile browser, prepending the m. at the beginning as in http://m.catsailor.com/ and the site is probably not set up to handle a separate mobile version.

Going directly to the forum URL does work.

Jeff R

H18, C2 USA1193
cramsailing.com
crescentsail.com
Re: Love Cat sailor family, the site needs better flow/look IMHO [Re: rehmbo] #277216
01/23/15 12:56 PM
01/23/15 12:56 PM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Originally Posted by rehmbo

I think it's recognizing the mobile browser, prepending the m. at the beginning as in http://m.catsailor.com/ and the site is probably not set up to handle a separate mobile version.

Bingo! Looks like there was an attempt to make the front page smart phone aware but it was either not tested or didn't work right away and the developer bailed. If you want to get to the forum from your mobile device use http://catsailor.com/forums, preregistration: http://catsailor.com/registration

Kind of a pain but you can get there. The site needs a little love.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: Love Cat sailor family, the site needs better flow/look IMHO [Re: David Ingram] #277220
01/23/15 01:50 PM
01/23/15 01:50 PM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
Originally Posted by David Ingram
Originally Posted by rehmbo

Bingo! Looks like there was an attempt to make the front page smart phone aware but it was either not tested or didn't work right away and the developer bailed. If you want to get to the forum from your mobile device use http://catsailor.com/forums, preregistration: http://catsailor.com/registration

Kind of a pain but you can get there. The site needs a little love.

Dropdown menu ->Request Desktop Version

will fix issue on mobile chrome.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 361 guests, and 96 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022