09/25/01 05:55 PM
09/25/01 05:55 PM
S
sail-s Offline OP
enthusiast
sail-s  Offline OP
enthusiast
S

Here is a post I made on the H16 forum that maybe you all that are Wave sailors can give some imput on. Remember this post is in response to looking for preparatory cat for the youth and adult worlds H16 events but still maybe the Wave is a better way to go than the H14, so I am curious what you Wave sailors think about the following topic. Thanks.
<br>
<br>- - - - - - - - -
<br>
<br>I have been thinking about the discuss we have had regarding junior sailors ages 12 -16 (not youth ages 17 –21) and the cat to use. One DANGER with using the Wave as a junior boat is the fact that the Wave is actually a developmental class type boat. I realize it is not a Hobie class but if you have ever wondered why Hobie USA is resistant to developing the Wave, as another Hobie class here is the scope, THE HOBIE WAVE WILL DEVELOP WITH TIME (this includes the Getaway)! That is to say the Wave will be improved as plastics improve, and as other things improve. It they want to change the hull shape they will do so, if they want to change sail shape they will do so, if plastics get lighter they will make the boat lighter, and so on. This of course makes sense because this boat was designed for resort and recreational sailing and Hobie wants to keep their rec./resort boat up to par and ahead of the competition. So due to this I think the Wave is out as a junior boat and the H14 is once again our option for a junior cat, maybe.
<br>
<br>Here is another idea what about using different sail sizes on the H16, such as the easy rig for sailors’ ages 12 – 16. We are already developing a Turbo Kit for the H16 so why not an Easy Rig Kit. As for sailors ages 6 – 10 I really think the Sabot (my choice for affordability), Opti (once again too expensive new or used), or Access Dinghy for children with disAbilities (or without disAbilities) are our best bet. The little Sabot or dinghy like monohulls are just to affordable and simple for the kids to sail as compared in trying to develop a small 8 to 12 cat.
<br>
<br>So what do you all think and has anyone sailed a H16 with an Easy Rig set-up?
<br>
<br><br><br>

Attached Files
2769- (120 downloads)
--Advertisement--
Gotta Shake Them to Wake up! [Re: sail-s] #2794
10/01/01 02:11 PM
10/01/01 02:11 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You and I have already discussed this at length, but the rest of the Wave folks must have fallen asleep.
<br>Sorry, [Linked Image]
<br>Rick<br><br>Rick White
<br>Catamaran Sailor Magazine
<br>email: rick@catsailor.com

Attached Files
2894- (100 downloads)
Re: Gotta Shake Them to Wake up! #2795
10/03/01 10:21 AM
10/03/01 10:21 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I am certainly no expert on sailing or the future of the Hobie Wave, but Rick made me feel guilty for not having responded. I can certainly vouch for the Wave for it's ease in set-up and sailing, and my primary interest is in racing the boat. I can't imagine a more suitable boat for a beginner, or for those with more experience who prefer the wonderful simplicity!... my two cents for what it's worth!... Janet
<br><br><br>Janet Caffee
<br>Melrose, Florida

Attached Files
2960- (94 downloads)
Thanks, Janet! #2796
10/03/01 03:50 PM
10/03/01 03:50 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Appreciate what you are doing for and in the class.
<br>Thanks,
<br>Rick<br><br>Rick White
<br>Catamaran Sailor Magazine
<br>email: rick@catsailor.com

Attached Files
2965- (104 downloads)
Re: Just a follow up [Re: sail-s] #2797
12/31/01 04:44 PM
12/31/01 04:44 PM
S
sail-s Offline OP
enthusiast
sail-s  Offline OP
enthusiast
S

Thanks for the input. For now our new club has desided to go with the H16 (youth), and Access Dinghies (2.3 for pre-junior - ages 6-10 years old, and 303 & Liberty for junior and youth sailors). Later we will add the Hobie Dragon junior multihull development. We will most likely through in some Sabots and Lasers into the mix after the Dragons. Once again thanks.

Re: Just a follow up [Re: sail-s] #2798
01/11/02 03:09 PM
01/11/02 03:09 PM
Toledo, Ohio (western end of ...
Mike Fahle Offline
addict
Mike Fahle  Offline
addict

Toledo, Ohio (western end of ...
Good luck on your junior cat program. FWIW, everything you in support of the Wave being a developmental class is exactly true about the Hobie 16. It has experienced so many changes over its history that probably no one could document them all. Hobie even used mylar sails for a while, AND THEN SWITCHED BACK to dacron! I am certain that the molds for the WAVE cost much more than the molds for the Hobie 16, so it is much less likely that Hobie will change the shape of the Wave than for them to do the same with the Hobie 16. Hobie is also notorious for not supporting its existing classes - I know that all too well having owned a Hobie 18 since 1980. The fact that they have a lucrative tourist market for the Wave puts it in better position for long term support than the Hobie 16.

You have already made your boat selection so this is written not to influence that, but to set the record straight from the perspective you offered above.

Mike Fahle Reformed Wave snob since 1998

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 420 guests, and 79 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022