B
brucat Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
B

Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever
Originally Posted by brucat
Joe Bello also stopped racing to retrieve the MOB, return him to his boat, and still won that race (and the regatta).

Mike

On a sail I loaned him so he could race, no less. The kid's good, but don't let him see this or it'll go to his head. wink

So, now your excuse for not winning all along is....???? Don't you hate when others use your stuff and show how fast it is? Bob Merrick did that with my old BRU Cat Hobie 16.

It was great meeting you after all these years, Todd. Lots of cleanup at the end of the day, so I ran out of time to find you before you left. Hopefully, the fleet views this year as an improvement. Feedback is always welcome and appreciated.

Mike

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Newport Regatta 2015 [Re: brucat] #279918
07/15/15 01:13 PM
07/15/15 01:13 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever
Joe Bello also stopped racing to retrieve the MOB, return him to his boat, and still won that race (and the regatta).

Mike

On a sail I loaned him so he could race, no less. The kid's good, but don't let him see this or it'll go to his head. wink

So, now your excuse for not winning all along is....???? Don't you hate when others use your stuff and show how fast it is? Bob Merrick did that with my old BRU Cat Hobie 16.

It was great meeting you after all these years, Todd. Lots of cleanup at the end of the day, so I ran out of time to find you before you left. Hopefully, the fleet views this year as an improvement. Feedback is always welcome and appreciated.

Mike

I could never get that sail to go in anything but a good breeze, but I expect the extra 65 lbs. of Cheeseburgers I carry doesn't help much either.
I'd definitely say it was an improvement. I let you know the issues I saw on Saturday evening. The chase boat folks (from all the courses) just need to pay a little better attention (head on a swivel). I had to dodge them more than boats racing on our course. Scared the crap out of them, by surprising them right off of their transoms, a few times.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Newport Regatta 2015 [Re: brucat] #279920
07/15/15 02:17 PM
07/15/15 02:17 PM
B
brucat Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
B

Thanks Todd. I definitely passed that along, I think it's an experience thing. They mostly stayed off the course on Sunday (sometimes even when I asked them to get in there).

Two of them felt obligated to stand by distressed vessels regardless of where that put them (the dismasted and two holed boats). That made me a bit nuts at the time, but probably helped those sailors to not get run over.

This regatta has a history of being tight on resources. There was definitely nothing available for providing towing. My instructions were to anchor the dismasted boat off the course until after racing (the sailor refused and decided to float with the breeze and current until he was halfway up the bay, completely loony and borderline irresponsible). The sinking boats took a little more finesse...

Mike

Re: Newport Regatta 2015 [Re: brucat] #279925
07/15/15 05:09 PM
07/15/15 05:09 PM
B
brucat Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
B

They've fixed the scores, see main link above.

Mike

Re: Newport Regatta 2015 [Re: brucat] #279935
07/16/15 10:01 AM
07/16/15 10:01 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
The sinking boats took a little more finesse...

They always do. Such an inconvenience, those sinking boats....

Jay

Re: Newport Regatta 2015 [Re: brucat] #279940
07/16/15 10:53 AM
07/16/15 10:53 AM
B
brucat Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
B

Don't read too much into that. If there's a more pro-sailor PRO than me, I want him as my race officer.

All I really meant was, you can't anchor a sinking boat and tow it in later.

The F-18 found a nearby beach (on the Navy base, technically a restricted zone, but they greeted them warmly and helped with duct tape, etc.).

The A-Cat received a tow from the VX-One support boat.

With boats self-destructing in the lighter breeze, and with increasing wind as the day progressed, I wasn't about to allow any of our mark boats off the course, otherwise we would not have been able to keep those still racing safe. A judgement call that allowed four solid races, and one that I would make again in a heartbeat.

Hope to see you at this regatta next year!

Mike

Re: Newport Regatta 2015 [Re: brucat] #279944
07/16/15 02:57 PM
07/16/15 02:57 PM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
hey, anyone who spends the day working so that the rest of us can sail gets my vote (and a free drink or two from me)...

But yeah, I don't think I've had to deal with that on my very few stints as support fleet...

Jay

Re: Newport Regatta 2015 [Re: brucat] #279945
07/16/15 05:03 PM
07/16/15 05:03 PM
B
brucat Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
B

Not many people do. I consider myself extremely fortune to have learned RC under PU, if for no other reason than it was on cat regattas, and major mayhem can be normal when it's blowing. Many clubs around here wouldn't be able to handle it, they can typically handle one problem at a time, but that's about it.

Mike

Re: Newport Regatta 2015 [Re: brucat] #279971
07/19/15 10:12 PM
07/19/15 10:12 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
The issues I had with chase boats weren't when they were standing by sinking boats. That's certainly not a problem.
I 'm also pretty sure Lars (the A cat) got towed in (with bows up on the transom) by Andrew Gaynor. An Acatter that wasn't racing. He's on Team Oracle.The VX1 support boat was one of the clueless obstacles I was referring to.
All told I think you did a fine job.Passing out cold beers would've made it even better. Maybe next year.
I do believe the protest committee set a dangerous precedent in ruling both boats (A cat vs. f-18)at fault, when it was clearly a windward /leeward issue.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Newport Regatta 2015 [Re: brucat] #279972
07/20/15 07:01 AM
07/20/15 07:01 AM
B
brucat Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
B

Thanks for the info, Todd. I did see Lars' boat, nose up on a power boat, drifting through the course.

I did not know the VX boat was in the course, or I would have spoken to them (when we spoke on Sat, you told me it was the mark boats). Sounds like I made a bad assumption that the racing support boat would not need to be coached.

I heard a completely different version of what led to the collision (from an unaffected sailor). I didn't see it happen, so I'm not taking sides. Besides, we all know that PCs have to determine facts based solely on testimony. It's not always a perfect science.

Mike

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 474 guests, and 59 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022