04/11/16 12:15 PM

M
MN3
Unregistered
MN3
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by northsea junkie
and your drive now to chase after a legal issue which you think you have.
Still I keep saying that you make a big mistake in doing so:

I keep telling you I have no "chase" on at all (besides to have an opt-out that doesn't remove my account)
any other "legal" data was a heads up to Rick... you seem to think I want to sue him... I don't

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Catsailor Blog Spam [Re: ] #282405
04/11/16 03:24 PM
04/11/16 03:24 PM
Petten Netherlands
N
northsea junkie Offline
addict
northsea junkie  Offline
addict
N

Petten Netherlands
Originally Posted by MN3
It doesn't bother me AT ALL that you try to make money from your site/store/newsletter just the opposite. I hope you do very well on it.

What bothers me is that there didn't seem to be a way to opt out of unrequested emails (from a legitimate website/store) without the penalty of having my account and almost 4000 posts removed.

Andrew, you are really starting to be a pain in my .... You are endlessly repeating that you want an optout from Rick with no consequences.
Well, even my grandchildren know how to block unwanted mails in their computer.

So, wat exactly is your problem??? Stop this nagging or leave this forum, please.

ronald
RAIDER-15 (homebuilt)

hey boy, what did you do over there, alone far out at sea?..
"huh....., that's the only place where I'm happy, sir.
Re: Catsailor Blog Spam [Re: northsea junkie] #282406
04/11/16 04:23 PM
04/11/16 04:23 PM

M
MN3
Unregistered
MN3
Unregistered
M

Thanks for your input
I was responding directly to Rick's comment saying I was upset.

there is a way to block comments from users that you don't want to see
Please block my comments if they bother you, otherwise feel free to continue to comment, and I will respond or ignore

(click on my username, then "ignore this user")

Originally Posted by MN3
It doesn't bother me AT ALL that you try to make money from your site/store/newsletter just the opposite. I hope you do very well on it.

What bothers me is that there didn't seem to be a way to opt out of unrequested emails (from a legitimate website/store) without the penalty of having my account and almost 4000 posts removed.

Andrew, you are really starting to be a pain in my .... You are endlessly repeating that you want an optout from Rick with no consequences.
Well, even my grandchildren know how to block unwanted mails in their computer.

So, wat exactly is your problem??? Stop this nagging or leave this forum, please.

Last edited by MN3; 04/11/16 04:32 PM.
Re: Catsailor Blog Spam [Re: ] #282413
04/12/16 08:08 AM
04/12/16 08:08 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
Originally Posted by MN3

Please block my comments if they bother you,

Interesting concept debate... by allowing this "block/ignore" feature is the administrator allowing restriction of the concept of "free speech"?

I am of the personal opinion that you have the right to say pretty much anything you want, and I have the right to ignore you. But others' opinions vary

Jay

Re: Catsailor Blog Spam [Re: waterbug_wpb] #282414
04/12/16 08:25 AM
04/12/16 08:25 AM

M
MN3
Unregistered
MN3
Unregistered
M

Jay, You can't block me. If you put me on ignore I will drive south and tape print-outs of all my re-diculous comments to your front door.

Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
Originally Posted by MN3

Please block my comments if they bother you,

Interesting concept debate... by allowing this "block/ignore" feature is the administrator allowing restriction of the concept of "free speech"?

I am of the personal opinion that you have the right to say pretty much anything you want, and I have the right to ignore you. But others' opinions vary

Re: Catsailor Blog Spam [Re: waterbug_wpb] #282415
04/12/16 08:41 AM
04/12/16 08:41 AM
Petten Netherlands
N
northsea junkie Offline
addict
northsea junkie  Offline
addict
N

Petten Netherlands
Yes iI found this also an unknow (to me), but interesting concept.
And I agree with you that one has total freedom of speech on this forum.

The reason why I got angry on Andrew is that his arguement is not only legally invalid but is moreover inappropriate towards Rick.
It's childisch (like a child who doesn't get what he want) and it's impudent to the host Rick who offered him so many years a free podium of speech.

As if there's no moral obligation at all.

Let somebody on this forum please reassure me that this conduct is not the American way, please.

My advise to Rick is to implement some statements in the forumrules that use of this forum (by writing posts) means that he has the right to advertize on the site and in emails.
Second, the posts are not the intellectual property of the members and can be handled, published or sold as he wishes.

ronald
RAIDER-15 (homebuilt)

Re: Catsailor Blog Spam [Re: northsea junkie] #282418
04/12/16 08:52 AM
04/12/16 08:52 AM

M
MN3
Unregistered
MN3
Unregistered
M

you continue to think I had a "legal fight" with Rick.
I didn't.

Are you / were you ever a lawyer or a Judge?

"and it's impudent to the host Rick "
Please show me any example where I was rude or not showing due respect to Rick - I was very polite and respectfully explaining my displeasure with one of his emailing policies.

Yes iI found this also an unknow (to me), but interesting concept.
And I agree with you that one has total freedom of speech on this forum.

The reason why I got angry on Andrew is that his arguement is not only legally invalid but is moreover inappropriate towards Rick.
It's childisch (like a child who doesn't get what he want) and it's impudent to the host Rick who offered him so many years a free podium of speech.

As if there's no moral obligation at all.

Let somebody on this forum please reassure me that this conduct is not the American way, please.

My advise to Rick is to implement some statements in the forumrules that use of this forum (by writing posts) means that he has the right to advertize on the site and in emails.
Second, the posts are not the intellectual property of the members and can be handled, published or sold as he wishes.

Last edited by MN3; 04/12/16 09:14 AM.
Re: Catsailor Blog Spam [Re: RickWhite] #282419
04/12/16 09:34 AM
04/12/16 09:34 AM
Petten Netherlands
N
northsea junkie Offline
addict
northsea junkie  Offline
addict
N

Petten Netherlands
Originally Posted by RickWhite
I do not understand your getting upset by two short emails a month as small payment for maintaining this Forum for over almost two decades. You all have had your run of this Forum with absolutely nothing asked of you, except use it. Is that too much to ask?

And why would you label them SPAM?

The emails are informative newsletters, with general boating information some of which has been compiled from Chapman’s Book of Piloting and Seamanship and Annapolis Book of Seamanship.

The tactics and racing sections are from over 20 years of articles I have written in a column on tactics called “What If...?” This has been a very popular column with abundant material I have gleaned from over 20 years of teaching seminars with over 50 World Class Guest Experts spilling their guts out. When they spoke it went in one ear, and I plugged the other one.

To add a little spice I have also added the Best of Captain Noah Tall, which many consider a real hoot, and great spoof on advice columns.

Yes, interlaced are a few ads. This site and this Forum have no visible means of support, except for our store, which is not doing all that well. It needs to do well in order for this site and this Forum to survive. Times are tough and I have needed to reach out to Forum Members to let them know our store even EXISTS. Many don’t. I will make that MOST DON”T.

So, Please be a little understanding.

Please read this post once again with an open mind, Andrew.

It says it all.

ronald
RAIDER-15 (homebuilt)

Re: Catsailor Blog Spam [Re: northsea junkie] #282422
04/12/16 10:01 AM
04/12/16 10:01 AM

M
MN3
Unregistered
MN3
Unregistered
M

I have read it again with an open mind.

Thanks for your input

Last edited by MN3; 04/12/16 10:19 AM.
Re: Catsailor Blog Spam [Re: ] #282423
04/12/16 11:25 AM
04/12/16 11:25 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
Originally Posted by MN3
Jay, You can't block me. If you put me on ignore I will drive south and tape print-outs of all my re-diculous comments to your front door.

Ha! smile

Your mind control will not work on me, jedi

Jay

Re: Catsailor Blog Spam [Re: northsea junkie] #282424
04/12/16 11:27 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL

No, this is not the 'merican way. We usually nuke people

[Linked Image]

Last edited by waterbug_wpb; 04/12/16 11:28 AM.

Jay

Re: Catsailor Blog Spam [Re: waterbug_wpb] #282425
Key Largo, FL and Put-in-Bay, ...
RickWhite Offline

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline

Carpal Tunnel

To answer Jay, which I think is important,
"I guess my more pertinent question is why Rick's web-store isn't performing as expected. I doubt it is due to pricing. Is the format out-dated? Is it being marketed to the wrong demographics?
"

A bit of history is required, I suppose. We started the store in the early 2000s with software that was not easy to use, but were doing excellent revenue and had a staff of three to work it. Not much profit, but doable.
At that time we were sending out a similar newsletter which was well received and enjoyed. Consequently, good revenue.
Then I invested in much more sophisticated store software, and quickly were able to put up around 17,000 items in the store with graphics. It has lots of bells and whistles.

Then in the late 2000s the bottom dropped out. I blamed the economy, the government, or whoever. But, I had also stopped doing the newsletter.
About 2 years ago I made the discovery that Search Engine Optimization was required to get internet biz. No longer did Key Words do the trick. So, hired at least 4 companies that promised the moon, but cost to high heaven, and no response.

Last year it was down to just me and not much income. My niece is in the internet sales biz and got me started on Wordpress and blogging. And sending out newsletters. I did a few, but let it go, and now have started again.
By the way, I did a complete face lift to www.OnLineMarineStore.com and the landing page is quite impressive.., or at least I have had folks so tell me. It is easy to navigate and has a great search engine.

And indeed, revenue is beginning to come back, albeit not like in the early 2000s. Again, with 96 million unemployed people in the USA, there a far less buyers than before.

Also, this latest thing is not a whim.., this is a MUST.., this is now survival. Times have been very tough and my resources are very thin.
The store and this Forum need to survive and that is what I am attempting to do.

Rick White
Catsailor Magazine & OnLineMarineStore.com
www.onlinemarinestore.com
Re: Catsailor Blog Spam [Re: RickWhite] #282426
04/12/16 11:35 AM
04/12/16 11:35 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
Don't let us fool you Rick. Most catsailors are not unemployed although we complain like we are...

Thank you for the history. Good to know you've got folks working on SEO (or whatever voodo they call charging you money).

Perhaps the easiest is to get people who use the site often to refer their catsailing friends to the site (and store). Patronize those who support your interests... right?

On totally other (and far more important) topics, how is Mary?

Last edited by waterbug_wpb; 04/12/16 11:35 AM.

Jay

Re: Catsailor Blog Spam [Re: waterbug_wpb] #282429
04/12/16 11:45 AM
04/12/16 11:45 AM

M
MN3
Unregistered
MN3
Unregistered
M

These are not the droids carbon fiber foils you are looking for.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
Originally Posted by MN3

Ha! smile

Your mind control will not work on me, jedi

Re: Catsailor Blog Spam [Re: waterbug_wpb] #282430
04/12/16 02:05 PM
04/12/16 02:05 PM
RickWhite Offline

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Not good, and thanks for asking.
Really never thought she would make it that first week in January when she was in that coma while intubated. Good genes, I guess.

Rick White
Re: Catsailor Blog Spam [Re: RickWhite] #282431
04/12/16 02:13 PM
04/12/16 02:13 PM

M
MN3
Unregistered
MN3
Unregistered
M

I had no idea.
Sending positive thoughts and prayers your / her way
Not good, and thanks for asking.
Really never thought she would make it that first week in January when she was in that coma while intubated. Good genes, I guess.

Re: Catsailor Blog Spam [Re: RickWhite] #282445
04/13/16 09:46 PM
04/13/16 09:46 PM
“an island in the Pacifi...
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

“an island in the Pacifi...
Again, with 96 million unemployed people in the USA, there a far less buyers than before.

From Bureau Of Labor Statistics, Department Of Labor

THE EMPLOYMENT SITUATION — MARCH 2016
Total nonfarm payroll employment rose by 215,000 in March, and the unemployment rate was little changed at 5.0 percent, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported today. Employment increased in retail trade, construction, and health care. Job losses occurred in manufacturing and mining.

Household Survey Data
In March, the unemployment rate (5.0 percent) and the number of unemployed persons (8.0 million)
were little changed. Both measures have shown little movement since August.

Among the major worker groups, the unemployment rates for adult men (4.5 percent), adult women (4.6 percent), teenagers (15.9 percent), Whites (4.3 percent), Blacks (9.0 percent), Asians (4.0 percent), and Hispanics (5.6 percent) showed little or no change in March.

The number of long-term unemployed (those jobless for 27 weeks or more) was essentially unchanged at 2.2 million in March and has shown little movement since June. In March, these individuals accounted for 27.6 percent of the unemployed.

In March, the labor force participation rate (63.0 percent) and the employment-population ratio (59.9 percent) changed little. Both measures were up by 0.6 percentage point since September.

The number of persons employed part time for economic reasons (also referred to as involuntary part- time workers) was about unchanged in March at 6.1 million and has shown little movement since November. These individuals, who would have preferred full-time employment, were working part- time because their hours had been cut back or because they were unable to find a full-time job.

In March, 1.7 million persons were marginally attached to the labor force, down by 335,000 from a year earlier. (The data are not seasonally adjusted.) These individuals were not in the labor force, wanted and were available for work, and had looked for a job sometime in the prior 12 months. They were not counted as unemployed because they had not searched for work in the 4 weeks preceding the survey.

Among the marginally attached, there were 585,000 discouraged workers in March, down by 153,000 from a year earlier. (The data are not seasonally adjusted.) Discouraged workers are persons not currently looking for work because they believe no jobs are available for them. The remaining 1.1 million persons marginally attached to the labor force in March had not searched for work for reasons such as school attendance or family responsibilities.

Establishment Survey Data

Total nonfarm payroll employment rose by 215,000 in March. Employment gains occurred in retail trade, construction, and health care, while job losses occurred in manufacturing and mining.

Retail trade added 48,000 jobs in March. Employment gains occurred in general merchandise stores (+12,000), health and personal care stores (+10,000), building material and garden supply stores (+10,000), and automobile dealers (+5,000). Over the past 12 months, retail trade has added 378,000 jobs.

Construction employment rose by 37,000 in March. Job gains occurred among residential specialty trade contractors (+12,000) and in heavy and civil engineering construction (+11,000). Over the year, construction has added 301,000 jobs.

Employment in health care increased by 37,000 over the month, about in line with the average monthly gain over the prior 12 months. In March, employment rose in ambulatory health care services (+27,000) and hospitals (+10,000). Over the year, health care employment has increased by 503,000.

Over the month, employment continued to trend up in food services and drinking places (+25,000) and in financial activities (+15,000).

In March, employment in professional and business services changed little for the third month in a row. In 2015, the industry added an average of 52,000 jobs per month.

Employment in manufacturing declined by 29,000 in March. Most of the job losses occurred in durable goods industries (-24,000), including machinery (-7,000), primary metals (-3,000), and semiconductors and electronic components (-3,000).

Mining employment continued to decline in March (-12,000) with losses concentrated in support activities for mining (-10,000). Since reaching a peak in September 2014, employment in mining has decreased by 185,000.

Employment in other major industries, including wholesale trade, transportation and warehousing, information, and government, changed little over the month.
The average workweek for all employees on private nonfarm payrolls was unchanged at 34.4 hours in March. The manufacturing workweek edged down by 0.1 hour to 40.6 hours. Factory overtime was 3.3 hours for the fourth month in a row. The average workweek for production and nonsupervisory employees on private nonfarm payrolls was unchanged at 33.6 hours.

In March, average hourly earnings for all employees on private nonfarm payrolls increased by 7 cents to $25.43, following a 2-cent decline in February. Over the year, average hourly earnings have risen by 2.3 percent. In March, average hourly earnings of private-sector production and nonsupervisory employees increased by 4 cents to $21.37.

The change in total nonfarm payroll employment for January was revised from +172,000 to +168,000, and the change for February was revised from +242,000 to +245,000. With these revisions, employment gains in January and February combined were 1,000 less than previously reported. Over the past 3 months, job gains have averaged 209,000 per month.

US Sail Level 2 Instructor
US Sail Level 3 Coach
Re: Catsailor Blog Spam [Re: ] #282460
04/16/16 11:47 AM
04/16/16 11:47 AM
maui
jollyrodgers Offline
enthusiast
jollyrodgers  Offline
enthusiast

maui
Hi,
One thing that could possibly help with costs of the site would be a donate button with a option for auto repeat donations for those that want.
Advertisers could be another possibility. The catracing blog guy has all sorts of advertisers on his little blog.

blessings.

Re: Catsailor Blog Spam [Re: jollyrodgers] #282469
04/18/16 09:16 AM
04/18/16 09:16 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
since only us dinosaurs use this type of format (web/forum) vs. the yoots (social media/instant message feed)... I think the demographic is limited.

But how do you go and search FB, Twitter, Instagram, etc for the depth of topic information that you can easily do here on CS?

Is CS available as an app? I've never accessed this site with my phone/tablet...

Jay

Re: Catsailor Blog Spam [Re: waterbug_wpb] #282472
04/19/16 06:06 AM
04/19/16 06:06 AM
RickWhite Offline

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline

Carpal Tunnel

The Forum is cell friendly, but not the site in general. I was told it would be pretty expensive to do so.
Rick

Rick White
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 413 guests, and 85 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022