Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by Jake
Originally Posted by brucat
Hopefully, you're kidding Jake.

She didn't publicly concede and congratulate her opponent until the next day. That's pretty weak, at the very least for the untold thousands of people who worked on her campaign.

Normally, the loser publicly concedes before the winner accepts.

Maybe she was just getting a head start on prepping for the rematch.

Mike

Talk about splitting hairs. Trump had ALREADY filed lawsuits to contest elements of the election before it practically began and you're upset because Clinton delayed making her public speech until the next morning? She didn't deny anything, didn't discount the result, she didn't do anything but make a positive, rebuilding, concession speech. I'm pretty sure you would find a way to be upset about anything she did because if that riles you up, wow.

So I did a little research and you're right, the concession speech usually precedes the victory speech. Typically, however, the victory speech waits until the concession speech takes place and usually falls about an hour later. For instance, in 2004, Kerry waited until late into the next day in order to contest a close vote in Ohio. He delivered his concession speech at 3pm and W gave his victory speech an hour later. No concession speeches have take place after 1am since 1992 so, at some point, you have to wonder if it's just too late at 3am and might as well wait until the next morning...but whatever, man..I'm still not sure how that timing affects anything. Maybe we ask why Donald went ahead and did his victory speech before the concession but, while I can guess at what his opinion might have been on the topic, I really don't care. It's over, I personally felt like the speeches and outreach by everyone involved was gracious and healing and I don't see how the minutia of the timing affects any single important thing.

I'm just glad the hate filled speech has been given a rest for the moment.

Jake Kohl
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: The media IS the Democraptic party! [Re: Todd_Sails] #283882
11/09/16 03:52 PM
11/09/16 03:52 PM
42.904444 N; 88.008586 W
Todd_Sails Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Todd_Sails  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

42.904444 N; 88.008586 W
As the OP,

I want to Thank Obama and The Clintons,

Without their disaster and corruption,
there is NO Way in Hell Trump would have ever won!

People are fed up with the BS- ya think?

F-18 Infusion
#626- SOLD it!

'Long Live the Legend of Chris Kyle'
Re: The media IS the Democraptic party! [Re: Jake] #283883
11/09/16 04:06 PM
“an island in the Pacifi...
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Talk about splitting hairs. Trump had ALREADY filed lawsuits to contest elements of the election before it practically began...

Wait until Trump hits Federal Court November 28. It should be quite a show.

US Sail Level 2 Instructor
US Sail Level 3 Coach
Re: The media IS the Democraptic party! [Re: ThunderMuffin] #283884
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
I work directly on international trade and business development deals. To say first world nations are "concerned" is an understatement.

Not that they are predicting clamity; rather "uncertainty" which in the short term is much more disastrous. Several multi-national deals which would actually (gasp) create jobs (or at least wealth - unfortunately, not much of my own) have been on hold since the rumors of Brexit. Now this train-wreck of an election...

But now that part of the uncertainty is dealt with (we have a president-elect), the cabinet appointments will be the next trigger. Foreign trade policy is much more time consuming to unwravel, which might allow markets to recover somewhat.

Our next move on foreign policy (do we shift alliances?) will affect a great number of moving parts (namely, foreign investment & trade) with certain economies (euro, asian, and even indian or eastern euro).

What has this to do with Joe the Plumber? Pretty much nothing. Joe likely doesn't have retirement savings or investments, and people's toilets will still clog regardless of their 401(k) balance.

Joe's challenge toward middle class growth will be his chops (or lack thereof) to grow his business. Joe can only fix so many pipes in one day. Business acumen, marketing skill, and staff development are his keys to success. Can he excel? The free-market will tell.

A business mentor once shared that she was happy to pay taxes because it meant that the company had earned money. She built a two person business into a 600 employee staffing firm and retired at 50 with a 85' motoryacht as a retirement gift. Last I heard she was in the Med. enjoying her late 60's.

I also knew several business competitors that never got past a meager staff.

What was her edge? It's not like that industry is particle physics.

Jay

Re: The media IS the Democraptic party! [Re: Todd_Sails] #283885
11/09/16 04:07 PM
11/09/16 04:07 PM
Wellington, FL-Singer Island, ...
cyberspeed Offline
old hand
cyberspeed  Offline
old hand

Wellington, FL-Singer Island, ...
She did call Trump. The problem is that she was too chicken **** to address all her supporters at the end. If I was her supporter and waited till 3am for final results and was told by someone else that we lost, go home. I would be PISSED. They deserved more than that.

craig van eaton
Supercat 20
TEAM CYBERSPEED
www.TeamCyberspeed.com
Endurance Series
www.SailSeries.com
Re: The media IS the Democraptic party! [Re: cyberspeed] #283886
11/09/16 04:16 PM
11/09/16 04:16 PM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
Originally Posted by cyberspeed
She did call Trump. The problem is that she was too chicken **** to address all her supporters at the end. If I was her supporter and waited till 3am for final results and was told by someone else that we lost, go home. I would be PISSED. They deserved more than that.

Quite possibly so, and I'd share your feeling on that. But having your entire future crushed before your eyes and then having to stand up and present your scabbard to the victor while announcing to the masses that you're back to square one takes a little focus.

I would probably have waited that long to deliver my concession speech, too. If only to have enough composure to NOT drop the "F" bomb during my talk smile

Jay

Re: The media IS the Democraptic party! [Re: Jake] #283887
11/09/16 04:22 PM
11/09/16 04:22 PM
V
Ventucky Red Offline
veteran
Ventucky Red  Offline
veteran
V

I'm just glad the hate filled speech has been given a rest for the moment.

Did you listen to Clinon's concession speech? Sounded to me like she couldn't put it down and had to make one last stab at Trump...

In looking at the riots in Seattle and Berkeley... I think the Hate is just started.

Re: The media IS the Democraptic party! [Re: Todd_Sails] #283888
11/09/16 04:23 PM
11/09/16 04:23 PM
42.904444 N; 88.008586 W
Todd_Sails Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Todd_Sails  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

42.904444 N; 88.008586 W
So First World- several peoples post election comments

Last edited by Todd_Sails; 11/09/16 04:32 PM.

F-18 Infusion
#626- SOLD it!

Re: The media IS the Democraptic party! [Re: Todd_Sails] #283889
11/09/16 04:27 PM
11/09/16 04:27 PM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
now that the fog has cleared a bit, I didn't see more than maybe 6 younger voters (under 30) yesterday at my polling station. We logged over 1,400 voters.

I guess millennial apathy can be a benefit sometimes... To paraphrase Ding "Old angry dudes rule!"

Jay

Re: The media IS the Democraptic party! [Re: Todd_Sails] #283891
11/09/16 04:56 PM
11/09/16 04:56 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

The markets rebounded after some serious futures drops overnight. And yes, I know that it was fueled by uncertainty if nothing else.

You guys mainly missed my point: they both suck, and we're the ultimate losers. Admittedly, I guess I spewed more disgust in Hillary's direction, sorry if that misled you.

My only hope is that they start working collaboratively in DC, but I'm not going to hold my breath (THAT would be foolish...).

Mike

Last edited by brucat; 11/09/16 05:04 PM.
Re: The media IS the Democraptic party! [Re: waterbug_wpb] #283892
11/09/16 04:59 PM
11/09/16 04:59 PM
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.
---H.L. Mencken

Maybe the only way for Americans to really, truly understand how toxic, wrong-headed and futile Trump’s policies are is to let him provide proof of concept. That is, to give us Trumpism, good and hard. Maybe the only way to prove that Trump can’t bring back manufacturing jobs, or coal jobs, or other jobs displaced by technology and productivity gains, is to let him try to do so through his ill-advised tariffs.

With Republicans dominating both houses of Congress, Trump should have little trouble transforming his many harebrained, math-challenged policy schemes into law, assuming he’s ever able to commit them to paper. With time, his economically anxious followers will realize that even after the swamp is drained and the bums thrown out, tough-talking Trump is still unable to improve their economic standing. When his policies turn out to be a bust, he'll blame the results on President Obama or other political enemies, or distrusted ethnic groups. There is so many to be used as scapegoats. Or, he may deny the negative outcomes entirely given that he and his followers are prone to producing their own sets of facts and data.

So, good luck dummies. Pretend you've lived in Kansas the last few years and love to keep bending over. BOHICA!

US Sail Level 3 Coach
Re: The media IS the Democraptic party! [Re: Todd_Sails] #283893
11/09/16 05:03 PM
11/09/16 05:03 PM
Greenville SC
bacho Offline
old hand
bacho  Offline
old hand

Greenville SC
I watched her speech today, I thought it was plenty gracious and appropriate given the situation.

I was expecting them to give their supporters something last night, and I think I would have been disappointed had I been at her HQ. However it was pretty late to try to address the nation. Not too many of the people I spoke with today stayed up till 3am, a decision I regret today.

Re: The media IS the Democraptic party! [Re: bacho] #283894
11/09/16 06:11 PM
11/09/16 06:11 PM
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

[Linked Image]

US Sail Level 3 Coach
Re: The media IS the Democraptic party! [Re: Todd_Sails] #283895
11/09/16 09:21 PM
11/09/16 09:21 PM
42.904444 N; 88.008586 W
Todd_Sails Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Todd_Sails  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

42.904444 N; 88.008586 W
OK, actions on the streets now, and who is the deplorable crowd?

F-18 Infusion
#626- SOLD it!

Re: The media IS the Democraptic party! [Re: David Ingram] #283897
11/10/16 08:11 AM
11/10/16 08:11 AM
Florida Suncoast, Dunedin Caus...
catman Offline
Pooh-Bah
catman  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Florida Suncoast, Dunedin Caus...
Originally Posted by David Ingram
Originally Posted by Bob_Curry
TRUMP WINS!!!!!! TRUMP WINS!!!!!!

I was a deplorable until it became cool!!

You're still deplorable Bob, just because something becomes mainstream doesn't change what it is. Being a bigot will never be cool.

Bigot, "a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions."

Of course you tolerate everyone and everything, right?

Have Fun
Re: The media IS the Democraptic party! [Re: waterbug_wpb] #283898
11/10/16 09:15 AM
11/10/16 09:15 AM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
now that the fog has cleared a bit, I didn't see more than maybe 6 younger voters (under 30) yesterday at my polling station. We logged over 1,400 voters.

I guess millennial apathy can be a benefit sometimes... To paraphrase Ding "Old angry dudes rule!"

Dude, you live in Naples that's where people go to die. Of course there wasn't any millennial's there!

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: The media IS the Democraptic party! [Re: catman] #283899
11/10/16 09:17 AM
11/10/16 09:17 AM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Originally Posted by catman

You're still deplorable Bob, just because something becomes mainstream doesn't change what it is. Being a bigot will never be cool.

You got me, I'm intolerant of bigotry! Never thought a lot of you but I couldn't put my finger on it, it makes sense now.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: The media IS the Democraptic party! [Re: David Ingram] #283900
11/10/16 09:48 AM
11/10/16 09:48 AM
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Garrison Keillor checks in:

So he won. The nation takes a deep breath. Raw ego and proud illiteracy have won out, and a severely learning-disabled man with a real character problem will be president. We are so exhausted from thinking about this election, millions of people will take up leaf-raking and garage cleaning with intense pleasure. We liberal elitists are wrecks. The Trumpers had a whale of a good time, waving their signs, jeering at the media, beating up protesters, chanting “Lock her up” — we elitists just stood and clapped. Nobody chanted “Stronger Together.” It just doesn’t chant.

The Trumpers never expected their guy to actually win the thing, and that’s their problem now. They wanted only to whoop and yell, boo at the H-word, wear profane T-shirts, maybe grab a crotch or two, jump in the RV with a couple of six-packs and go out and shoot some spotted owls. It was pleasure enough for them just to know that they were driving us wild with dismay — by “us,” I mean librarians, children’s authors, yoga practitioners, Unitarians, bird-watchers, people who make their own pasta, opera-goers, the grammar police, people who keep books on their shelves, that bunch. The Trumpers exulted in knowing we were tearing our hair out. They had our number, like a bratty kid who knows exactly how to make you grit your teeth and froth at the mouth.

Alas for the Trump voters, the disasters he will bring on this country will fall more heavily on them than anyone else. The uneducated white males who elected him are the vulnerable ones, and they will not like what happens next.

To all the patronizing B.S. we’ve read about Trump expressing the white working-class’s displacement and loss of the American Dream, I say, “Feh!” — go put your head under cold water. Resentment is no excuse for bald-faced stupidity. America is still the land where the waitress’s kids can grow up to become physicists and novelists and pediatricians, but it helps a lot if the waitress and her husband encourage good habits and the ambition to use your God-given talents and the kids aren’t plugged into electronics day and night. Whooping it up for the candidate of cruelty and ignorance does less than nothing for your kids.

We liberal elitists are now completely in the clear. The government is in Republican hands. Let them deal with him. Democrats can spend four years raising heirloom tomatoes, meditating, reading Jane Austen, traveling around the country, tasting artisan beers, and let the Republicans build the wall and carry on the trade war with China and deport the undocumented and deal with opioids, and we Democrats can go for a long , brisk walk and smell the roses.

I like Republicans. I used to spend Sunday afternoons with a bunch of them, drinking Scotch and soda and trying to care about NFL football. It was fun. I tried to think like them. (Life is what you make it. People are people. When the going gets tough, tough noogies.) But I came back to liberal elitism.

Don’t be cruel. Elvis said it, and it’s true. We all experienced cruelty back in our playground days — boys who beat up on the timid, girls who made fun of the homely and naive — and most of us, to our shame, went along with it, afraid to defend the victims lest we become one of them. But by your 20s, you should be done with cruelty. Mr. Trump was the cruelest candidate since George Wallace. How he won on fear and bile is for political pathologists to study. The country is already tired of his noise, even his own voters. He is likely to become the most intensely disliked president since Herbert Hoover. His children will carry the burden of his name. He will never be happy in his own skin. But the damage he will do to our country — who knows? His supporters voted for change, and boy, are they going to get it.

Back to real life. I went up to my home town the other day and ran into my gym teacher, Stan Nelson, looking good at 96. He commanded a landing craft at Normandy on June 6, 1944, and never said a word about it back then, just made us do chin-ups whether we wanted to or not. I saw my biology teacher Lyle Bradley, a Marine pilot in the Korean War, still going bird-watching in his 90s. I was not a good student then, but I am studying both of them now. They have seen it all and are still optimistic. The past year of politics has taught us absolutely nothing. Zilch. Zero. Nada. The future is scary. Let the uneducated have their day. I am now going to pay more attention to teachers.

US Sail Level 3 Coach
Re: The media IS the Democraptic party! [Re: hobie1616] #283901
11/10/16 11:05 AM
11/10/16 11:05 AM
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

David Horsey checks in:

There is a good reason that Donald Trump failed to win the endorsement of a single serious newspaper (the Ku Klux Klan “Crusader” does not count). It is not because the press is uniformly liberal; there were plenty of traditionally Republican and conservative editorial boards that could not bring themselves to support Trump. It is because people who work on newspapers deal in facts, and the fact is that the president-elect is woefully unprepared for the office he has won.

That is the core reason I have been so critical of Trump and will continue to be.

This is not a knee-jerk aversion to any and all Republicans (I used to be one myself). If George H.W. Bush had beaten Bill Clinton back in 1992, I would not have worried that the country was in dangerous hands. Bush the elder, besides being a complete gentleman, was a seasoned practitioner of statecraft. If Sen. John McCain had won in 2008 or Mitt Romney in 2012, I would have been disappointed, but I would not have thought the election of either man would be perilous for us all (although having Sarah Palin a heartbeat away from the presidency would not have been reassuring).

It is Trump who is uniquely scary, not because he is a Republican and not because of his personal demerits. The nation can survive a president with a record of using women as sexual toys (Trump will not be the first). The nation can survive a president who is rude and bullying. The nation can even survive a con man. But it will be much harder to steer clear of harm with a president who seems to have no idea how little he really knows about very important things.

For all his experience as a businessman, his ideas about economics are neanderthal. Those who actually understand the intricacies of the global market fear he will provoke a disastrous trade war if he follows through on his threats to tear up trade deals and slap high taxes on imports.

His fantastical promises to bring back jobs in the coal mines and manufacturing plants were further proof of his dim-bulbed grasp of economic realities. Yes, those promises raised hopes and won him votes in the Rust Belt states — and probably won him the election. But he was fooling those voters and probably fooling himself. Global competition is the force that diminished the old industries and no new trade deal will change that reality. Manufacturing may well rebound in this country, but it will be built on robots and automation. The high numbers of jobs that once provided a middle-class lifestyle for men without a college degree will never come back.

In the final days of the campaign, Trump repeatedly mocked U.S. military leaders for announcing in advance their plans to retake regions of Iraq held by Islamic State militants. “Whatever happened to the element of surprise?” Trump asked repeatedly, as if war were a game of hide-and-seek. Letting Islamic State leaders know the attack was coming gave them a chance to run away, Trump said. Military strategists responded by pointing out that Islamic State commanders on the run actually made much better targets and that was just one of several good reasons to broadcast intentions.

Trump is no military genius, although he has famously claimed to know more than the generals. If he carries that delusion with him into the White House, it could lead to catastrophe. So could his failure to understand the immense value of the NATO alliance. So could his simple-minded admiration of Russian President Vladimir Putin.

Low-information voters have given us a low-information president. Trump’s lack of sophistication and his apparent disinterest in doing the hard work it takes to understand the complexities of economics, international relations and military strategy is the most alarming aspect of his looming presidency. His character flaws and reactionary tendencies are hardly insignificant, but his willful ignorance of vital knowledge is what may make him the world’s most dangerous man.

US Sail Level 3 Coach
Re: The media IS the Democraptic party! [Re: David Ingram] #283902
11/10/16 01:37 PM
11/10/16 01:37 PM
Northfield Mn
Karl_Brogger Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Karl_Brogger  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Northfield Mn
Originally Posted by catman

You got me, I'm intolerant of bigotry! Never thought a lot of you but I couldn't put my finger on it, it makes sense now.

I always thought it was an odd stance to take the moral high ground. "I'm super tolerant, but not of you because you're intolerant of ___________"

George Carlin had the best line about political correctness. I've used it a few times. “Political correctness is America’s newest form of intolerance, and it is especially pernicious because it comes disguised as tolerance. It presents itself as fairness, yet attempts to restrict and control people’s language with strict codes and rigid rules. I’m not sure that’s the way to fight discrimination. I’m not sure silencing people or forcing them to alter their speech is the best method for solving problems that go much deeper than speech.”

On my front, if you hate me because I'm part towel head, or part kraut, or part square head, or part whatever, good for you! Everyone needs something.

I'm boatless.
Page 7 of 41 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 40 41

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 399 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022