“an island in the Pacifi...
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted by Ventucky Red
Originally Posted by mbounds

Why do we take our shoes off to get on a plane? Don't know about you, but I don't have to. It's called TSA PreCheck.

Remind me again on how much that cost you and the verification process you were subjected to for this privilege?

For me, it was free. And, there was no verification process.

US Sail Level 2 Instructor
US Sail Level 3 Coach
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: The media IS the Democraptic party! [Re: Ventucky Red] #284614
12/30/16 11:20 AM
12/30/16 11:20 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
There is a certain type of person in the US that confounds me and is a real threat to this country. They pound the constitution like a bible when it suits their needs but are lightning quick to ignore it when it doesn't. They scream "FREEDOM!" and "DON'T TREAD ON ME!" but only care to apply that philosophy to the flesh contained within the perimeter of the belt around their waist. This country is not yours, mine, or theirs. It is ours. Every single United States Citizen has rights and protections provided under a unified Constitution and this has created a magnificent country. Quit trying to kiss it up by picking and choosing which rules you want to apply.

Jake Kohl
Re: The media IS the Democraptic party! [Re: Todd_Sails] #284617
12/30/16 12:54 PM
12/30/16 12:54 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

The accuracy of votes (and potential of fraud to actually impact the outcome) should be a concern to everyone here. There have been crazy-tight results in several of the recent presedential races (virtual 50/50 ties, relying on electoral strategy), that I don't see how you seriously think this isn't a problem.

If the average citizen thinks the system is rigged, that's bad enough to keep them from voting. If they have proof that it's rigged, there will eventually be riots. This is to say nothing about the international view of our democratic process. Do we really not want to take action to avoid that?

Hanging chads forced the change in voting machine technology, it's natural to want to ensure that all votes cast are legitimate. I don't know why you have to consider me a bigot/racist/supremacist to say that (I'm none of those).

Mike

Re: The media IS the Democraptic party! [Re: hobie1616] #284641
12/31/16 12:10 PM
12/31/16 12:10 PM
V
Ventucky Red Offline
veteran
Ventucky Red  Offline
veteran
V

Originally Posted by hobie1616

Why do we take our shoes off to get on a plane? Don't know about you, but I don't have to. It's called TSA PreCheck.

Remind me again on how much that cost you and the verification process you were subjected to for this privilege?

Everyone will get a free pass every once in a while... If you're lucky to get it on one flight chances are you'll get it on the return flight... And, if your traveling a lot you can have a permanent PreTSA or Known Traveler Number.

The cost is $100, plus an background check, and a ID verification.

A lot of my work mates that do international travel have a Nexus Card or a Global Entry card that has your photo on it and other info similar to a driver license... This lets them breeze right through TSA and Customs...

Re: The media IS the Democraptic party! [Re: Jake] #284642
12/31/16 12:36 PM
12/31/16 12:36 PM
42.904444 N; 88.008586 W
Todd_Sails Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Todd_Sails  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

42.904444 N; 88.008586 W
Originally Posted by Jake
There is a certain type of person in the US that confounds me and is a real threat to this country. They pound the constitution like a bible when it suits their needs but are lightning quick to ignore it when it doesn't. They scream "FREEDOM!" and "DON'T TREAD ON ME!" but only care to apply that philosophy to the flesh contained within the perimeter of the belt around their waist. This country is not yours, mine, or theirs. It is ours. Every single United States Citizen has rights and protections provided under a unified Constitution and this has created a magnificent country. Quit trying to kiss it up by picking and choosing which rules you want to apply.

Jake, I liked when you used the term 'United States Citizen' and Constitution

F-18 Infusion
#626- SOLD it!

'Long Live the Legend of Chris Kyle'
Re: The media IS the Democraptic party! [Re: brucat] #284648
12/31/16 02:46 PM
12/31/16 02:46 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
Originally Posted by brucat
The accuracy of votes (and potential of fraud to actually impact the outcome) should be a concern to everyone here. There have been crazy-tight results in several of the recent presedential races (virtual 50/50 ties, relying on electoral strategy), that I don't see how you seriously think this isn't a problem.

Mike

um... Accuracy and constitutionality of voting IS a shared concern. (that is why this debate is ongoing.

crazy-tight results is a FACT.

It is a complete and total failure of logic to conclude that..
"seriously think this isn't a problem. "

By your logic... the basketball game was for the championship (integrity is important given the impact).. the game was tight (a measurable fact)... it was decided by 1 POINT (The specific fact in this case). So Seriously... we have a problem with .... the score keeper, the last shooter.. the referee, the coach, etc etc etc or the existential question... DID the ball go through the hoop 97 times.... really?

What do you want to argue here? You Need to measure and prove a FACT.... not handwave.... with your "seriously think this isn't a problem argument"

STep one... Identify and measure the actual problem. How much voter fraud related to ID fraud is there, where and when and what is the rigor of proof?

Try again... WHAT is your balancing act between the two concerns. Constitutional integrity of voting AND undo burdens on voting.

Me... I think showing one form of records with your address in the district is sufficient. It preserves both integrity of voting and constitutional rights.

Me... I think showing TWO forms of records with your address in the district is more then sufficient... and you Could make the case that it is an unreasonable BARRIER in some circumstances. If its judged a barrier... then your constitutional right to vote is abridged.

Me... I think showing a PICTURE ID with your current address in the district is a BARRIER and moreover, solves no real problem. (AND I have data showing this fact disparate impact is in fact true)

If you had to travel 100 miles to update your FREE photo ID solely to vote... would that be a barrier to you... how about your 90 year old grand parent in a wheel chair who changed his address to a new retirement home? My point... EVEN FREE ID....is not the complete test of a barrier that takes away your constitutional right.

How about a deal? A government records certification site issueing picture IDs within 5 miles of every precinct voting station in USA AND a nationwide standard for the number of voting machines in each polling station.... I will then conclude that a photo ID is not a barrier.

PS... Who said/inferred you are a bigot/racist/supremacist? Why is it... that all discussion ends with one party deciding they were called a racist in so many words?

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: The media IS the Democraptic party! [Re: Todd_Sails] #284658
12/31/16 11:47 PM
12/31/16 11:47 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

OK, maybe I'm spoiled because everything here is within a half-hour drive. We all know that dealing with the government (registry of motor vehicles, etc.) is certainly a drain on your free time.

Hey, I get annoyed because I'm registered, and own a house, and pay taxes, and vote every year, and I'm on the list; yet I'm forced to wait in a separate line to prove who I am (with a photo ID) because I don't respond to the town's annual census. So, that's irritating, but I still value that they're making sure all votes are from actual citizens of that district. Call me crazy...

Happy New Year, everyone.

Mike

Re: The media IS the Democraptic party! [Re: Ventucky Red] #284659
01/01/17 11:07 AM
01/01/17 11:07 AM
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Everyone will get a free pass every once in a while... If you're lucky to get it on one flight chances are you'll get it on the return flight... And, if your traveling a lot you can have a permanent PreTSA or Known Traveler Number.

The cost is $100, plus an background check, and a ID verification.

A lot of my work mates that do international travel have a Nexus Card or a Global Entry card that has your photo on it and other info similar to a driver license... This lets them breeze right through TSA and Customs...

I've had free PreCheck since it started. It might have something to do with the 1.8 million miles I've flown with American.

US Sail Level 3 Coach
Re: The media IS the Democraptic party! [Re: hobie1616] #284662
01/02/17 09:01 AM
01/02/17 09:01 AM
V
Ventucky Red Offline
veteran
Ventucky Red  Offline
veteran
V

I've had free PreCheck since it started. It might have something to do with the 1.8 million miles I've flown with American.

The don't do the inclusion program anymore for the high mile traveler, or those that earn mileage points using their airline credit cards... that is why I got the Known Traveler Number.

Re: The media IS the Democraptic party! [Re: Ventucky Red] #284664
01/02/17 02:22 PM
01/02/17 02:22 PM
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The don't do the inclusion program anymore for the high mile traveler, or those that earn mileage points using their airline credit cards... that is why I got the Known Traveler Number.

I still get PreCheck printed on boarding passes. My wife gets it too as she's connected with my account.

I've got over 1.8 million flight miles. The credit card points have taken me well over two million.

US Sail Level 3 Coach
Re: The media IS the Democraptic party! [Re: hobie1616] #284665
01/02/17 03:33 PM
01/02/17 03:33 PM
V
Ventucky Red Offline
veteran
Ventucky Red  Offline
veteran
V

I still get PreCheck printed on boarding passes. My wife gets it too as she's connected with my account.

I've got over 1.8 million flight miles. The credit card points have taken me well over two million.

Well good for you and your wife....

Re: The media IS the Democraptic party! [Re: Todd_Sails] #284678
01/03/17 10:55 AM
01/03/17 10:55 AM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

I don't know if that's "good." How many years of your life do you spend in an airliner seat to accumulate 1.8 million miles?

Mike

Re: The media IS the Democraptic party! [Re: brucat] #284681
01/03/17 01:40 PM
01/03/17 01:40 PM
V
Ventucky Red Offline
veteran
Ventucky Red  Offline
veteran
V

I don't know if that's "good." How many years of your life do you spend in an airliner seat to accumulate 1.8 million miles?

Mike

Taking the average speed of an airliner... 737 and above @ 550 MPH.... that is 3,272 hours... just a little under a half a year... or 136 days in the air... very doable..

My self, I have been at it for about 30 years... and between my three most used... I have just about 1.1 million actual miles. Add in the credit card and other perks it is much higher. I haven't traveled as much in the last 6 years.... it gets old quick and the TSA has really proven that the chronically unemployed are employable..

Re: The media IS the Democraptic party! [Re: brucat] #284686
01/03/17 06:09 PM
01/03/17 06:09 PM
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Mike

Too many. Most of it was international. Minimum of ten hours and some that were fifteen plus. My longest trip started out in San Francisco. Went to Mexico City, looped through Miami to Bogota, reversed course to Auckland and ended up in Brisbane before going through Sydney to get back to San Fran. I was gone for a month.

US Sail Level 3 Coach
Re: The media IS the Democraptic party! [Re: Ventucky Red] #284687
01/03/17 06:12 PM
01/03/17 06:12 PM
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Well good for you and your wife....

She enjoys first class trips on miles.

US Sail Level 3 Coach
Re: The media IS the Democraptic party! [Re: Todd_Sails] #284690
01/03/17 07:00 PM
01/03/17 07:00 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Wow. I used to travel for work, mostly domestic. Coach is bad enough cross-country, horrible across an ocean.

Mike

Re: The media IS the Democraptic party! [Re: hobie1616] #284692
01/03/17 07:39 PM
01/03/17 07:39 PM
V
Ventucky Red Offline
veteran
Ventucky Red  Offline
veteran
V

[
She enjoys first class trips on miles.

Better burn those miles... many of the airline are going to a segment / ticket dollar model per year similar to Southwest and a few of the other cheapies... Seems those upgrades will not be available unless you have status...

http://thepointsguy.com/2017/01/aa-2017-elite-spend-requirements/

Re: The media IS the Democraptic party! [Re: mbounds] #284709
01/04/17 09:50 AM
01/04/17 09:50 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
Your argument is invalid.

What would you propose in lieu of some form of identification?

Is there a way to establish that a person walking up is:
- Registered to vote
- Resides in the precinct
- Has not had their right to vote revoked (i.e., felony conviction, prior fraud conviction, etc)
- HAS NOT VOTED ALREADY (by mail, in another precinct, etc)

And those who cannot or will not present identification are still allowed to vote a provisional ballot. The canvassing board then establishes the eligibility of this voter (not the polling station) and counts the vote if they are eligible.

So there is a way that someone with no ID can vote legally. It's just a bit more time consuming than the more automated systems.

Jay

Re: The media IS the Democraptic party! [Re: waterbug_wpb] #284710
01/04/17 10:04 AM
01/04/17 10:04 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
I think my biggest challenge at the voting station for people with no ID is that we couldn't establish exactly which ballot they were supposed to get..

Several precinct lines intersected our voting location, so I had 7 or 8 ballot "styles" which corresponded to various senate, legislative and county seats.

So two people living next door to each other could, in theory, have two different ballot styles if the boundaries crossed between them.

I saw this issue firsthand as we had a van drop off several folks with no address or identification. One person did give the name of a local homeless shelter so we used that address as their residence and issued a provisional ballot. Only one other person gave vague directions to his location (obviously didn't want us knowing which lot he has used) so that's all we could do (issue provisional).

Being that we have a large undocumented population in FL, it would be nice to know if there is a means to identify those eligible voters without some form of documentation?

Jay

Re: The media IS the Democraptic party! [Re: waterbug_wpb] #284712
01/04/17 10:16 AM
01/04/17 10:16 AM
V
Ventucky Red Offline
veteran
Ventucky Red  Offline
veteran
V

Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
Your argument is invalid.

What would you propose in lieu of some form of identification?

For the downtrodden that can't get to or afford a photo ID.... let them show their Obamacare card.... after all this is a mandate that everyone has coverage and in order to get coverage what do you have to do? Provide what again?

Oh! Thought so...

Page 16 of 41 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 40 41

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 424 guests, and 82 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022