Announcements
New Discussions
Question about tiller extension uv joint
by JeffS. 12/09/19 12:35 AM
2020, The Year of The Cat
by cyberspeed. 11/26/19 09:47 PM
F16 Effect Crew Weight Solo and 2 Up
by 11devil11. 11/21/19 07:30 AM
Supercat 17s closest competitor?
by Will_R. 11/19/19 11:01 AM
New England 100 2019: 30th Anniversary!!!
by Timbo. 11/18/19 02:45 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? [Re: brucat] #288238
01/31/18 11:27 AM
01/31/18 11:27 AM
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 12,310
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 12,310
South Carolina
Originally Posted by brucat
Originally Posted by Damon Linkous
Originally Posted by brucat
I took a hiatus because of the ads. Not because I don't want this place to make money, but because there were some extremely inappropriate ads being displayed. My kids (7 and 11) use this phone and my PC, and I don't need them to be seeing some of the stuff that came up.


Mike,

That is concerning, is this a recent problem (last six months?).

All the ads running on Catsailor are supplied by the Google Adwords program. There shouldn't be any NSFW type ads at all. The ads Google serves to a particular browser session depend on the context of the page and the browsing habits of the visitor.

I mostly see ads for software, shopping, and outdoor stuff.

There are no popups, pop-overs, pop-unders or anything like that running on the site, so if anyone sees anything like that it is probably a problem (malware) with your computer/browser.

If you do spot an ad that you don't like for any reason, look at the top right of the ad and there is a little X or the AdChoices symbol, if you click carefully on that you get the choice to report the ad.

Hope that helps and welcome back.



It was within the last six months. Regardless of what Google tells you, it has nothing to do with browsing habits. Yes, I see stuff come up related to browsing (boat stuff, house stuff, tractor stuff), but I'm married with kids, and have never searched for an Oriental (or any other) wife, which was actually the tamer of the options.

The final straw was a cruise company, I won't repeat the details. I've never been on a cruise, and have never searched for one, whether normal or this "special" one.

I'm not clicking on any tiny little arrow or X to make these go away. One fat finger, and I'll be taken to those sites.

Mike



They are absolutely based on your browsing history! I'm betting you guys don't see ads for CNC router systems. Actually, more accurately, it's based on your demographic that Google has put you in based on your browsing history combined with your browsing history.


Jake Kohl
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? [Re: Jake] #288239
01/31/18 11:44 AM
01/31/18 11:44 AM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,490
On the Water
P.M. Offline
Pooh-Bah
P.M.  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,490
On the Water
Originally Posted by Jake
Originally Posted by brucat
Originally Posted by Damon Linkous
Originally Posted by brucat
I took a hiatus because of the ads. Not because I don't want this place to make money, but because there were some extremely inappropriate ads being displayed. My kids (7 and 11) use this phone and my PC, and I don't need them to be seeing some of the stuff that came up.


Mike,

That is concerning, is this a recent problem (last six months?).

All the ads running on Catsailor are supplied by the Google Adwords program. There shouldn't be any NSFW type ads at all. The ads Google serves to a particular browser session depend on the context of the page and the browsing habits of the visitor.

I mostly see ads for software, shopping, and outdoor stuff.

There are no popups, pop-overs, pop-unders or anything like that running on the site, so if anyone sees anything like that it is probably a problem (malware) with your computer/browser.

If you do spot an ad that you don't like for any reason, look at the top right of the ad and there is a little X or the AdChoices symbol, if you click carefully on that you get the choice to report the ad.

Hope that helps and welcome back.



It was within the last six months. Regardless of what Google tells you, it has nothing to do with browsing habits. Yes, I see stuff come up related to browsing (boat stuff, house stuff, tractor stuff), but I'm married with kids, and have never searched for an Oriental (or any other) wife, which was actually the tamer of the options.

The final straw was a cruise company, I won't repeat the details. I've never been on a cruise, and have never searched for one, whether normal or this "special" one.

I'm not clicking on any tiny little arrow or X to make these go away. One fat finger, and I'll be taken to those sites.

Mike



They are absolutely based on your browsing history! I'm betting you guys don't see ads for CNC router systems. Actually, more accurately, it's based on your demographic that Google has put you in based on your browsing history combined with your browsing history.


Well that settle that, Mike's been surfing Asian smut sites. . . .
smile
I'm pissed that I'm not getting any raunchy ads.


Philip
USA #1006
Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? [Re: northsea junkie] #288240
01/31/18 12:27 PM
01/31/18 12:27 PM
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,969
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,969
As I mentioned before, I know that some of it matches search history (boat stuff, things I've searched for at Lowe's, etc.). But most definitely not this stuff.

I really don't think my kids are searching for this crap yet, either. They're usually just watching YouTube videos of music videos, marble runs or other things little boys like. And they play a couple of game Apps like Plants vs Zombies.

I'm not going to get in an extended argument about this, I'm just hoping Damon can fix this before I have to leave permanently. There has to be a setting for a host site to disallow this kind of thing. It doesn't make the site look good at all. BTW, I don't get this kind of thing on ANY other website, including those that use the Google ads.

Mike

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? [Re: brucat] #288242
01/31/18 04:00 PM
01/31/18 04:00 PM
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 5,590
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 5,590
Naples, FL
Originally Posted by brucat


I really don't think my kids are searching for this crap yet, either. They're usually just watching YouTube videos of music videos, marble runs or other things little boys like. And they play a couple of game Apps like Plants vs Zombies.


Mike


You may want to do a little more snooping, Mike. Sadly us parents were informed that the 6th grade class had recently hacked the school network firewall to be able to access/view some questionable content.

I may question the 6th grade boys' ambition to surf "outside the perimeter", other than they most likely tried it just to see if they could.

And unless those music videos are Thomas the Train, Google may likely be picking up on some iota that it links to some ads you may find distasteful.

Thankfully I need no PhD in internet as my spouse could likely teach NSA a thing or two about how to monitor someone's whearabouts or behavior online.


Didn't Mary have something on this site that would auto-correct any perceived foul language? I believe we had a field day creating prose using those quirks... I'll have to trudge through some of those old posts....

I believe this site has value, and am willing to deal with the ad placement for the benefit of having access for free....

What I find ironic is that while most agree that they "hate" advertisements, the predominance of person(s) employed rely on advertising their product/service in order to remain employed. If no one advertised CNC router systems (using Jake's example), you may never buy one even if you needed one (because you wouldn't know where to look).

A restaurant that just puts a sign in the window will likely have a long row to hoe generating sufficient business without some advertising. Be it radio, television, internet, dude on the street, etc.

I would never have bought a set of sails had I not had the pleasure of speaking with Dave Calvert directly at a regatta. Was he there because he wanted to race with hacks like me? Most likely not..... ADVERTISING

Would I have been escorted out of the "Jiggly Room" on amateur night? Most likely not since I wouldn't have known of the event.... ADVERTISING

Would I have known:
- I can hang small construction workers to I-beams with superglue? ..... ADVERTISING
- I don't need a knife to cut a banana, that I can use a banana slicer? ..... ADVERTISING
- I could look like Susanne Sommers by squeezing my thighs? .... ADVERTISING
- I can make my screen door into a boat? ADVERTISING
- squatty potty (youtube it)....?

I mean, seriously, how sad would my life be without advertising?


Jay

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? [Re: northsea junkie] #288243
01/31/18 04:04 PM
01/31/18 04:04 PM
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 5,590
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 5,590
Naples, FL
Oh, and let's not forget THE RED HOUSE FURNITURE



Jay

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? [Re: northsea junkie] #288244
01/31/18 06:21 PM
01/31/18 06:21 PM
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,969
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,969
Wait, you left the nudie bar with an escort? I'm not sure that's what they were advertising, lol...

I'm reasonably sure Hunter isn't looking for anything like this, he doesn't even tell dirty jokes or ask difficult questions yet.

I see your point about the algorithms and YouTube choices. I do like the Yeah Yeah Yeahs (half-oriental female lead singer), and the boys love Queen (We Will Rock You, etc.). It's a stretch, but that might explain the Asian wife thing, and the cruise (although why they would assume I want to spend a week on a boat with 1000 Freddy Mercuries is beyond me)...

Still doesn't make it acceptable here. I used to tell other sailors (monohullers) to check out this site to learn more about cats and our group. Not anymore.

Mike

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? [Re: Damon Linkous] #288245
01/31/18 07:11 PM
01/31/18 07:11 PM
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 1,658
Florida Suncoast, Dunedin Caus...
catman Offline
Pooh-Bah
catman  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 1,658
Florida Suncoast, Dunedin Caus...
Maybe I'm missing something. I don't see any ad's. I recently switched to a Mac and have AD block plus. I only see posts. Not yet sure if that's a good thing.

Andrew, I'll answer a few more of your boat repair questions.

Sometimes I love him and sometimes I want to.......

Last edited by catman; 01/31/18 07:21 PM.

Have Fun
Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? [Re: catman] #288246
01/31/18 08:04 PM
01/31/18 08:04 PM
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 118
fl
M
Mn3Again Offline
member
Mn3Again  Offline
member
M

Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 118
fl
Originally Posted by catman
Maybe I'm missing something. I don't see any ad's. I recently switched to a Mac and have AD block plus. I only see posts. Not yet sure if that's a good thing.

Andrew, I'll answer a few more of your boat repair questions.

Sometimes I love him and sometimes I want to.......

On the top left of this (and every page i would guess), under "New Discussions", and in the "--Advertisement--" section, there is a rotating Google Ad Sense rotating through ads

And below

On both pc and mac
safari and chrome


Mn3
Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? [Re: northsea junkie] #288247
01/31/18 08:44 PM
01/31/18 08:44 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,490
On the Water
P.M. Offline
Pooh-Bah
P.M.  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,490
On the Water
Andrew,

I get zero ads, nada, none, on any page on CS.


Philip
USA #1006
Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? [Re: P.M.] #288252
02/01/18 06:51 AM
02/01/18 06:51 AM
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 118
fl
M
Mn3Again Offline
member
Mn3Again  Offline
member
M

Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 118
fl
Originally Posted by P.M.
Andrew,

I get zero ads, nada, none, on any page on CS.

interesting

what is type of computer are you using (Mac or PC)?

Last edited by Mn3Again; 02/01/18 06:53 AM.

Mn3
Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? [Re: northsea junkie] #288258
02/01/18 01:28 PM
02/01/18 01:28 PM
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 5,590
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 5,590
Naples, FL
I get them between posts, along the left side and just under the page heading at the top.

I clear my cache, history, and other stuff on the computer frequently, so most of the ads don't have any relevance to me.... But I don't see the russian bride ones...


Jay

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? [Re: northsea junkie] #288260
02/01/18 01:31 PM
02/01/18 01:31 PM
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 5,590
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 5,590
Naples, FL
HA! I just noticed a 'travel buddy' site popped in my ads with a young-ish lady in the ad... the google is reading my posts!

so let's talk about Oatmeal, fence posts and skylarking.... just to see what ads pop up


Jay

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? [Re: northsea junkie] #288261
02/01/18 01:33 PM
02/01/18 01:33 PM
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 5,590
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 5,590
Naples, FL
bingo... now a tractor supply ad....

let's see...

three-legged cat adoption
jiggle
garrish


Jay

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? [Re: northsea junkie] #288262
02/01/18 04:47 PM
02/01/18 04:47 PM
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,969
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,969
Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice...

Wait, what did I just do?

Mike

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? [Re: brucat] #288263
02/01/18 05:57 PM
02/01/18 05:57 PM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 473
Panama City, Florida
Redtwin Offline
addict
Redtwin  Offline
addict

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 473
Panama City, Florida
I'm still getting ads for my ISP and one was a tax service. I haven't seen the 4-ane brydes ads for a while. Let's see if Google can figure that one out.


Rob V. Nacra 5.2 Panama City
Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? [Re: northsea junkie] #288264
02/01/18 06:10 PM
02/01/18 06:10 PM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 473
Panama City, Florida
Redtwin Offline
addict
Redtwin  Offline
addict

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 473
Panama City, Florida
LOL! I found myself hitting refresh to see what ads would pop up. BTW, does that help the website earn money? After 5 or 6 times, the 4-ain bryde one popped up. The others were music sites (kids surfing history) a couple of clean travel sites, and my insurance company. It certainly goes off of browser history but I still don't know where the bryde one comes from. The models are pretty cute (nothing to risque) but way too young for me. Can someone talk to Google for me?


Rob V. Nacra 5.2 Panama City
Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? [Re: waterbug_wpb] #288267
02/01/18 08:08 PM
02/01/18 08:08 PM
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 12,310
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 12,310
South Carolina
Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
HA! I just noticed a 'travel buddy' site popped in my ads with a young-ish lady in the ad... the google is reading my posts!

so let's talk about Oatmeal, fence posts and skylarking.... just to see what ads pop up


Lol, me too. I got a suggestive dating outfit advertisement as soon as I moved away from this site after I posted that. I have an adblocker plug in for my browser - I only see a small ad at the top of the pages.


Jake Kohl
Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? [Re: northsea junkie] #288270
02/02/18 08:35 AM
02/02/18 08:35 AM
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,969
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,969
I found a setting on my (Android) phone under Google settings, which is supposed to not customize what ads I see. It still shows me RV stuff, which can't be random (although I haven't searched for RV info since autumn).

No brides or cruises yet, so maybe it stops it from guessing?

BTW, Redtwin, too young? Assuming they're old enough to get into a bar, there is no such rule, lol. Let's see what that generates...

Mike

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? [Re: northsea junkie] #288272
02/02/18 09:00 AM
02/02/18 09:00 AM
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 5,590
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 5,590
Naples, FL
farfegnugin
where's the beef


see if they go that far back in time.... but again with the diesel scam they were found guilty of, maybe they pulled all their ads out of rotation...


Jay

Re: Indeed Timbo, where did everyone go? [Re: northsea junkie] #288273
02/02/18 09:02 AM
02/02/18 09:02 AM
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 5,590
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 5,590
Naples, FL
And I'm not an expert, but I don't think Damon gets paid until/unless you CLICK on the ad... or maybe you have to do more than that (like click around their site or *gasp* buy stuff)


Jay

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 28 guests, and 472 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Nickv, jgsanchez, Tressa, EvoOwner, bigbird
7984 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Dermot 2
Timbo 2
Will_R 1
JeffS 1
brucat 1
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,371
Posts266,960
Members7,984
Most Online1,650
Sep 10th, 2019
--Advertisement--
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1