03/18/04 06:44 PM
03/18/04 06:44 PM
Dublin, Ireland
Dermot Offline OP
old hand
Dermot  Offline OP
old hand

Dublin, Ireland
The UK Spitfire Class made this video for the recent UK Dinghy Show. Good action.
http://www.spitfiresailing.org.uk/data/spitfiredemo_isdn.wmv
If the link does not work go to www.spitfiresailing.org.uk
Go to Photo and click on Spitfire Demo.

Dermot
Catapult 265
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Spitfire Sailing Video [Re: Dermot] #31550
03/18/04 07:52 PM
03/18/04 07:52 PM
Fort Loramie, Ohio
jmhoying Offline
enthusiast
jmhoying  Offline
enthusiast

Fort Loramie, Ohio
That is an excellent video. If it's a promotional video, I wonder why they showed all the pitchpoles at the end. Granted, it looks like they had plenty of wind that day, but they almost make you think that it's a common part of sailing a Spitfire.
Anyways, it sure makes me want the water around here to warm up another 40 degrees or so!
Jack

Jack Hoying Fort Loramie, Ohio
Re: Spitfire Sailing Video [Re: Dermot] #31551
03/18/04 10:07 PM
03/18/04 10:07 PM
Florida
JMAC Offline
JMAC  Offline

Florida
Agree, an excellent video. Not sure why Spitfire chose Eye of the Tiger for this video though. I mean it's a classic rockin song, but shouldn't the 'H' team get the rights to use it for their Formula boat, uh, you know what are they called. Video rivals their video from Italy a couple years ago.

Do most teams trap the crew out first? I love to drive from the wire downwind.

And ouch - double ouch on some of those pitchpoles!!! Looks like the skippers were going to be pulling batten splinters out of their mouths the way they got projected into the main trying to save it til the last. Them aint no wave-piercing hulls either man!

Make sure you watch it til the end to see some nice wipeouts.

JMac
Southern Area NAF 18 Rep
Nacra F-18 #352

Re: Spitfire Sailing Video [Re: JMAC] #31552
03/18/04 11:16 PM
03/18/04 11:16 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Eye of the Tiger? Yeah - that was probably on purpose...i.e. who is the eye of the Tiger on?

Jake Kohl
Re: Spitfire Sailing Video [Re: Dermot] #31553
03/19/04 12:12 AM
03/19/04 12:12 AM
Central California
ejpoulsen Offline
old hand
ejpoulsen  Offline
old hand

Central California
Sweet. Pitch and pendulum--we've all been there!

Eric Poulsen
A-class USA 203
Ultimate 20
Central California
Re: Spitfire Sailing Video [Re: jmhoying] #31554
03/19/04 08:40 AM
03/19/04 08:40 AM
Dublin, Ireland
Dermot Offline OP
old hand
Dermot  Offline OP
old hand

Dublin, Ireland
I also wondered why all the pitchpoles were shown. You don't see that many when racing with these guys and girls. These people hold off top Formula 18 crews. I raced with them in strong winds and never saw any of the top crews over. I asume that they sailed in that restricted area to get the aerial shots from the bridge. The wind may have been very flukey and gusty. Also, to get good action shots, they may have been sailing tighter reaches than usual.

The class mostly races short windward leward courses and the racing is very close. If one of the crew need to go on the wire downwind, it is the crew. The helm needs to concentrate completely on his steering. Even if the crew slips,as long as the helm is sitting right back with his feet in the toestraps, it is likely that they will recover from a near pitchpole.

It is still cold on the lake, but racing starts on the 28th. I think (?) that I am looking forward to it !

Dermot
Catapult 265
Re: Spitfire Sailing Video [Re: JMAC] #31555
03/19/04 08:53 AM
03/19/04 08:53 AM
BANNED
MauganN20 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
MauganN20  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

BANNED
I've always wanted to make a beachcat music video to the song "Elevation" by U2.

its very fitting if you see the lyrics. Also, I'm not sure why they put the PP's in too.

Re: Spitfire Sailing Video [Re: Dermot] #31556
03/19/04 08:55 AM
03/19/04 08:55 AM
Looking for a Job, I got credi...
scooby_simon Offline
Hull Flying, Snow Sliding....
scooby_simon  Offline
Hull Flying, Snow Sliding....
Carpal Tunnel

Looking for a Job, I got credi...
Do most teams trap the crew out first? I love to drive from the wire downwind.

Always did on the Hurricane 5.9. Gives a better balance as the crew can move around more to keep the hull flying in the light stuff. I also used to Love double trap with 3 Sails up too....Now Single trap with Main and Kite on my own.....

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here
Re: Spitfire Sailing Video [Re: scooby_simon] #31557
03/19/04 10:26 AM
03/19/04 10:26 AM
Gainesville, FL 32607 USA
dacarls Offline
old hand
dacarls  Offline
old hand

Gainesville, FL 32607 USA
What great images! If the Hobie Cat company still had anyone as innovative as Hobie Alter, they would be using terrific modern advertising like this. Maybe then I would have more than 2 people in my local fleet and we could put on regattas for X-boats again. (Long drawn-out Sigh)

We could even show the Spitfires how to use chicken lines.

Dacarls:
A-class USA 196, USA 21, H18, H16
"Nothing that's any good works by itself. You got to make the damn thing work"- Thomas Edison
Re: Spitfire Sailing Video [Re: jmhoying] #31558
03/19/04 01:22 PM
03/19/04 01:22 PM
Baton Rouge, LA
Dean Offline
enthusiast
Dean  Offline
enthusiast

Baton Rouge, LA
Capsize: fall down, go boom. Pitchpole: now there's real beauty.

Ahh, the pleasant pitchpole. The slow elevator ride to vertical or nearly so. The sinking realization that you are no longer cool not to have recognized the limit and not to have backed-off in time to prevent the inevitable. The echo of one's dear departed Mom in the overconfident gray cells saying, "You're gonna kill yourself on that thing." (She had long since dropped the "Just wait 'til your father gets home" appendage to the admonition.) Helplessly you ask yourself "Why didn't it rubber band back like it does, sometimes?" How smart you are, you tell yourself, up to your chin in salt water, that you stuck out your arm in order to prevent your noggin' and/or ribs from banging into the mast (big bruise already on that arm). Mere moments before a gorilla on a wire and now simply a wet monkey at the level of fishbait, plankton, and other simple or no-minded creatures among the flotsam. The alpha male reigned in by the Alpha Cat. You da man. It was wonderful; which is kinda hard to explain.

Re: Spitfire Sailing Video [Re: Dermot] #31559
03/19/04 02:16 PM
Brighton, UK
grob Offline
addict
grob  Offline
addict

Brighton, UK
Dermot,

I too was at the dinghy show on sunday and thought that video was great, what I found really encouraging is how many kids were gathered around it, including my own 5 and 6 year olds. My son watched it about half a dozen times and thought it was the best thing at the show. I have always vowed not to push them into sailing but he now thinks its great.

Re: Innovative? [Re: dacarls] #31560
California
mmiller Offline
veteran
mmiller  Offline
veteran

California
Hey dacarls...

Did you know that Hobie Alter has not been part of Hobie Cat since the mid 80's. Since then... have you heard of the Hobie TriFoiler, Hobie Wave, Hobie Getaway, Hobie Bravo, Hobie 21 Sport Cruiser, Hobie Mirage kayaks? The Hobie 20? In the French factory... The Hobie Tiger, Hobie Fox, FX1 and many others? Hobie Cat has many very innovative designs since Hobie Alter. Sure, many are based on other designs, but what cat isn't really.

I think you have that wrong, Videos? Heard of Sharing the wind? That was a professional movie... not just a video. Hobie Cat France has been making professional videos of the major Worlds events for years. Have you been to the Hobie Website to see all of the videos that are available for download?

Can't imagine why you think videos are new or innovative, but we have learned over the years to stay away from stuff that scares people like a bunch of crashes and capsizes. That stuff is fun for us to watch, but probably won't sell any boats.

Know what? We (I) have a video system for creating rigging and marketing videos here. I have completed a DVD package this winter that dealers used at shows and will have in their stores. It includes all of the latest promo videos and copies of the 16 and Tiger Worlds movies and the Hobie History Movie. We'll let you know when it becomes available to the public.

Hobie Cat Forums
Matt Miller
Hobie Cat Company
Trully : From Hero to Zero !! (nm) [Re: Dean] #31561
03/19/04 02:23 PM
03/19/04 02:23 PM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
Re: Innovative? [Re: mmiller] #31562
03/19/04 02:51 PM
03/19/04 02:51 PM
chesapeake bay
davidn Offline
davidn  Offline

chesapeake bay
Matt,
Like most of the commentators above, I wouldn't include the crashes at the end in a promo video; something you seem to agree with. It is a fact, however, that this is a very cool video, one that could attract adventure oriented people. I have a copy of "Share the Wind" and it is very cool and very well done. However, you must realize that it is painfully dated (the 70s). Interesting, but too dated to be useful as a current marketing tool. There seems to have been a paucity of video offerings from Hobie over the years, but maybe that is changing, as your comments seem to indicate. I'm guessing that Hobie already has the footage needed to create promo videos (5/10 min. in length) for any level of intensity and any focus (recreational or racing) of sailing on their cats. Put them together and make them available to dealers and fleets; that's good grassroots marketing.
David
H20
H16

Re: Innovative? [Re: davidn] #31563
03/19/04 03:16 PM
03/19/04 03:16 PM
BANNED
MauganN20 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
MauganN20  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

BANNED
I love it when people assume that Hobie is a huge thriving company that has Microsoft-like funds from which to undertake activities such as those mentioned above :P

I mean, they could be in post-filming production of a video when hobie up and cancels a boat from production, screwing the pooch on the whole vid! :P

(read the above paragraph with abundant amounts of sarcasm please)

Re: Innovative? [Re: mmiller] #31564
03/19/04 03:36 PM
03/19/04 03:36 PM
Annapolis,MD
Keith Offline
veteran
Keith  Offline
veteran

Annapolis,MD
Since then... have you heard of the Hobie TriFoiler, Hobie Wave, Hobie Getaway, Hobie Bravo, Hobie 21 Sport Cruiser, Hobie Mirage kayaks? The Hobie 20?

No offense, but...
Innovative designs to be sure, but the only one that was inspiring to me in that list was the 20. Although the Wave has made its place in a way. I suppose when I see a Wave or Getaway in the heavy surf ala Sharing the Wind I'll change my mind...

Mentioning the Euro Hobies only drives the point home for me. I remember seeing the Euro boats on the web (varients on the 21, Pacifica, Dragoon, etc.) and thinking "why can't we get or build those boats here?" It seemed that it took awhile for the US market for the Tiger to even be recognized. Now it's catch-up time. It's great that the Euro boats are there to import now. But the blame is placed on the open class.

Sorry if it all sounds negative, I'm just raw-dumping my feelings I guess. I'd like to see Hobie succeed, and in way that grows all of cat sailing. Just like I like to drive but would be upset if all I could buy was a Chevy.

Of course, my faith would be restored if Hobie-USA came out with an affordable and competitive A-Cat, non roto-molded...

Hobie is doing ok... [Re: Keith] #31565
03/19/04 04:50 PM
03/19/04 04:50 PM
Neb
flounder Offline
enthusiast
flounder  Offline
enthusiast

Neb
I no longer own a Hobie, but have had just about every model other than the H16. My dad has owned a Getaway since they came out. I'll tell you what, that boat really is wonderful from a standpoint of usability, friendliness, and fairly performance oriented. If it were a little tougher (we have had hull cracking problems on the x-bar openings) I'd give it a 10.

Hobie is not going to drop the H16 all of the sudden, so that boat is staying until they have a viable phase out program in place. The Hobie 20 was very popular for a while, and the Formula boats have stolen it's thunder now. Hobie was nice enough to bring back the H17 for another year, although I have not seen one newer than 1994.

The problem is not the companies, although HCA's demands are not condusive to catamaran sailing as a whole. The bigger problem is new sailors. Where are they? Hobie and Performace can come out with all the boats they want to. In ten-twenty years, who will buy them?

Both companies really have to think about taking a page from surfing and windsurfing. Companies like Billabong and Quicksilver are always backing movie makers. If you want to be an "Action Sport" you have to show the action to the younger people. Market freedom and excitement. When I was 14, I could not wait to jump on my Hobie 14 because I would be out on my own away from my mom and dad. We found that boat for $750. Cheaper than most good surfboards.

The only thing most people know about Hobie is surfboards and clothes. Performance is even worse... I get looks like I am from outer space.

So moral of the story. Boat design means nothing if you don't have anyone to sell to. In the future, the way things are looking, their will be less sailors. That equates to less money for the boat companies and the end of sailing organizations.

Re: Innovative? [Re: Keith] #31566
03/19/04 04:51 PM
03/19/04 04:51 PM
Dublin, Ireland
Dermot Offline OP
old hand
Dermot  Offline OP
old hand

Dublin, Ireland
Keith,
I think that I am right in saying that the Hobie 20 is a licenced copy of the Hurricane 5.9, designed and built by the Spitfire co-designer and builder, Reg White.

Dermot
Catapult 265
Re: Spitfire Sailing Video [Re: grob] #31567
03/19/04 05:11 PM
03/19/04 05:11 PM
Dublin, Ireland
Dermot Offline OP
old hand
Dermot  Offline OP
old hand

Dublin, Ireland
Gareth,
My two sons are now 26 and 24. The eldest was always interested and was my full time crew from the age of 12, until he got his own Dart 18. He now races a Spitfire. The second was more nervous ("Put it down dad" if I flew a hull)and was 15 before he asked to crew. He crewed for me on a Dart 18 and after that for three years on the Hawk. He is now a senior sailing Instructor.
I don't think that you will have to do any pushing !

Dermot
Catapult 265
Re: Innovative? [Re: Dermot] #31568
03/19/04 05:25 PM
03/19/04 05:25 PM
Annapolis,MD
Keith Offline
veteran
Keith  Offline
veteran

Annapolis,MD
Dermot,
Don't know, so I'll agree!

But it may be why I always thought the boat/design was due for a Tornado-style update, ie self tacking jib, fat-head main, spinnaker. A little one-design class rejuvenation/resurrection and excitement builder.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 429 guests, and 85 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022