Re: Alter Cup Classes [Re: Mike Hill] #47282
04/18/05 05:37 PM
04/18/05 05:37 PM
P
PpS Offline
PpS  Offline
P

[quote
One of the confusing points that has been brought up on this board is the fact that some sailors qualify in multiple events. Most of the sailors sail different boats throughout the year so it's hard to pin down how the sailor might have qualified.

Mike Hill
www.stlouiscats.com [/quote]

It's not confusing at all. Mary posted the link that lists how each person qualified.

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Alter Cup Classes [Re: PpS] #47283
04/18/05 08:03 PM
04/18/05 08:03 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Okay y'all.

Since this has now diverged into an assault on the AC rankings, let's go back to the original roots of the Cup. The Ten-Twelve US Sailing area champions are allowed to race, period. Keeps it simple and not a petition/manufacturers race. If you want a "Champions" race, then have it before or after the AC. RW has lobbied this for years because he had the vision to see what was happening. Since the 1995 debacle with Hobie 20s, IMHO, the AC has not meant what it once was to me. This is one of the reasons why I did not particpate this year and in years past. And with this crazy format, won't particpate in the future. In short, this ship is "off course".

Again, IMHO,

Bob

Re: Alter Cup Classes #47284
04/19/05 09:09 AM
04/19/05 09:09 AM
Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline
Carpal Tunnel
John Williams  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California
Hmm. From the title of this thread, I would have never suspected I needed to take a look at it after Jamie's original polls.

Alter Cup is for the express purpose of selecting a US Multihull Champion. Everyone who participates in the ladder events and the Championship must be current USSA members. Individual classes are not required to be member organizations specifically because they are not conducting ladder events, though the teams they send must join before registering for the Championship. Classes get other benefits through membership, and other championships (such as Championship of Champions) require class membership before accepting petitions.

The class representatives (Hobie, Performance, Tornado and one rotating class) have sole discretion in selecting their representatives. They are encouraged, but not required, to choose the champions from their largest classes in the most recent national-level events. In every case, the class representatives indicated they had contacted multiple candidates and were sending the best that were available. The folks they selected were acceptable to the Committee this year, though they haven’t always been in the past. In those cases, the class representatives were asked to try again. The same is true of the Areas - the Area Rep is responsible for contacting their winner, and if he can't go, they are allowed to go down to third place. It used to be second, but we changed it because many times people are unable or unwilling to come.

The current format (20 teams) has been around for a while and is working well. The Championship is meaningful in that, whoever has won, it has been clear that they are skillful competitors and have often proven themselves outside of a single class. In any case, majority rules - if you want to see a change, raise your hand when you show up. I did.

The current rotation, while it may seem "crazy" to some, is not new and is used, in one form or another, for other events that have provided boats. After day one, it was enthusiastically embraced by everyone I spoke with about it at the event. It has long been the Committee's feeling that the matrix we used for so long was flawed, and had, in some cases, resulted in an unfair Championship. People were leaving at the end feeling a little dissatisfied. That sucked. This, what we have now, is immeasurably better, and will continue to be refined before next year's event. I would encourage anyone who doesn’t understand it to talk to someone who was at the event – it is difficult to explain clearly, but easy to understand once in use. It took a couple of tries on my part to understand what it was all about. It is a lot more work for the volunteers on the beach, but serves the fleet much better than the matrix did.

Anyone who feels that the Alter Cup is "off course" is welcome to take the tiller, but you'd better be able to listen to what the competitors are saying over your ego. As chairman, I have sometimes swallowed my personal feelings in order to serve the job. The pay sucks, sailors can be bitchy, my friends get angry with me over decisions that must be made, red-faced competitors are up my butt on the beach when they think the PRO should have abandoned a race, and I don't always make it to the parties when I'm dealing with admin details, broken boats or scoring problems.

Why would anyone do the job? ‘Cause I think that the goal is worthy and honorable. I embrace the feeling of tradition attached to that hunk of metal and wood. My hands shook when I was soldering a piece of wire that had worked loose before the presentation on Sunday because it felt like the people whose names are on that trophy were looking over my shoulder to make sure I was taking care…

I’ll be trying my level best to somehow qualify for the 2007 event when I’m eligible to compete again because that is where the real action is. Greg is a great example of the kind of competitor we all should want to see at the event – ask him and he’ll tell you he’s been trying to get his name on that trophy for a long time. And he’s in good company.

Everyone here is entitled to their opinion, but... I’ll leave the rest of that uncharitable thought unvoiced.

John Williams

- The harder you practice, the luckier you get -
Gary Player, pro golfer

After watching Lionel Messi play, I realize I need to sail harder.
Re: Alter Cup Classes [Re: John Williams] #47285
04/19/05 09:44 AM
04/19/05 09:44 AM
Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
Everyone here is entitled to their opinion, but... I’ll leave the rest of that uncharitable thought unvoiced.

John, please voice it.

How can someone be entitled to an opinion, "but"...?

And, anyway, most of the posts on this thread were questions, not opinions. I think you answered most of the questions.

My personal opinion is that the "new" format of the Alter Cup has attracted a lot more interest in the event, but....

Re: Alter Cup Classes [Re: John Williams] #47286
04/19/05 09:05 PM
04/19/05 09:05 PM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

... Anyone who feels that the Alter Cup is "off course" is welcome to take the tiller, but you'd better be able to listen to what the competitors are saying over your ego. As chairman, I have sometimes swallowed my personal feelings in order to serve the job. The pay sucks, sailors can be bitchy, my friends get angry with me over decisions that must be made, red-faced competitors are up my butt on the beach when they think the PRO should have abandoned a race, and I don't always make it to the parties when I'm dealing with admin details, broken boats or scoring problems.

Why would anyone do the job? ‘Cause I think that the goal is worthy and honorable. ...

Ain't that the truth !

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
Amen John and....... [Re: Wouter] #47287
04/19/05 09:53 PM
04/19/05 09:53 PM
Syracuse, NY Hobie Fleet 204
T
Tom Korz Offline
addict
Tom Korz  Offline
addict
T

Heartfelt THANK YOU for a job well done!!!

Picture from another Alter Cup that John sailed in and Jamie Diamond co-ordinated

Attached Files
Thanks... [Re: Tom Korz] #47288
04/20/05 10:54 AM
04/20/05 10:54 AM
Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline
Carpal Tunnel
John Williams  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California
Wasn't shopping for kudos, but thanks for the appreciation. I also wasn't being sarcastic or elitist - suggestions and critiques are welcome, as they should be in any representative organization. Drop me a pm or an e-mail. I'm also not kidding about the job being open next year. Volunteering as the chairman is the best way to get your opinion heard, but remember - it's still a regatta by committee. You have to convince ten other people that love the event and have been involved from the beginning that your way is better. Checks and balances, baby.

John Williams

- The harder you practice, the luckier you get -
Gary Player, pro golfer

After watching Lionel Messi play, I realize I need to sail harder.
Isn't that..... [Re: John Williams] #47289
04/20/05 05:01 PM
04/20/05 05:01 PM
T
Tom Korz Offline
addict
Tom Korz  Offline
addict
T

cheeks and balances?

Re: Alter Cup Classes [Re: John Williams] #47290
04/20/05 06:34 PM
04/20/05 06:34 PM
South Florida & the Keys
arbo06 Offline
Pooh-Bah
arbo06  Offline
Pooh-Bah

South Florida & the Keys
John,
You are a role model, I salute you.

Eric

Eric Arbogast
ARC 2101
Miami Yacht Club
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (WorrellGal50), 427 guests, and 91 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022