09/13/05 11:41 AM
09/13/05 11:41 AM
Ontario, Canada
Captain_Dave Offline OP
enthusiast
Captain_Dave  Offline OP
enthusiast

Ontario, Canada
As some of you know, I restored an old 1977 H16 (see post "major restorations" for more details) and have finally been sailing it - loving it even more than I thought I would. In the course of my restoration which began last January, I have asked many questions on this site and received much advice - most of it very, very good. So, mostly for the other newbies like me, I would like to respond to some of the advice and mention a few things regarding what worked for me and what did not.

(1) Sailing gloves...don`t leave home without em! And, keep a spare set for visiting crew members.

(2) Boat shoes/water socks are a MUST HAVE item for you AND YOUR CREW. You may think you (or your crew) can sail barefoot, and actually you can...but when it comes time to right a capsized, freshly waxed H16 on a beautiful breezy day, you`ll be wishing to God you had those rubber shoes between your bare feet and that hull.

(3) Someone mentioned using cheap, industrial saran-type wrap over the entire mast while trailering as well as carrying along basic cleaning supplies. This sounded a little uneccessary to me, but since I had some of the wrap (10 bucks for about a thousand feet), I figured why not. This was great advice. After doing 18 miles on a gravel road in the rain, the only clean thing I had left was that mast and the new white sails in my catbox. The wrap takes less that 3 minutes to apply and costs just pennies. Take a razor so as to remove it easily with one slice up the luff track.

(4) Restoring the colour on an old vinyl tramp with automotive vinyl dye works quite well. It is cheap and easy. Be sure to remove all contaminants first and be prepared for occassional touch-ups.

(5) I had read some information regarding the old-style Seaway jib cars being difficult to uncleat under load - this is an understatement of the highest order! I subsequently asked for advice regarding their replacement and the general consensus was...I was a newbie...don`t worry about it...and, if it ain`t broke don`t fix it -BAD ADVICE. These cars have a serious design flaw (in my opinion) - they came out of the box broken! If you have the money, replace them. They really do suck.

(6) Spend the time to put together a great tool kit with lots of spare parts. Use your imagination as to what might break (pretty much anything) or get dropped in the drink. Stock up on what you can afford, you won`t regret it - I guarantee it! The stresses on these boats can be incredible.

(7) Carry a properly rigged righting line (and righting bag with block and tackle if sailing solo) the FIRST time you go out. Do not assume you will not need it because you will "only be sailing slow". This boat is awesome in a good wind, and you WILL need this equipment. This was definitely GOOD ADVICE.

(8) Do not even think about sailing this boat solo your first time out...unless you really, REALLY understand sailing and the power of this boat. Even then, it is best to take someone with you.

(9) Do not be afraid of this boat - be informed and respectful. However, at times the H16 will most certainly scare the stuffing out of you. To be truthful, I was a bit scared prior to sailing the H16 - it is my first sailboat - though I am an experienced boater and navigator... Read lots of catamaran stuff, get some videos, understand ALL the parts of your boat and their individual state of repair. Be equipped for every eventuality you can imagine.

(10) Velcro line-wraps are a great invention.

(11) Carry a short (4 to 6 ft) length of rope with you when you sail. It may come in handy. I broke my tiller yoke in a strong wind that was blowing me onshore towards a cliff. That rope allowed me to quickly lash my tiller and get back to safety. And yes, I had a spare yoke in my tool kit!

(12) Krylon Fusion adheres and holds up amazingly well to a properly prepped old rudder (albeit I can only vouch for fresh water sailing). They look brand new...it is a great product.

(13) Bridle vanes, windvanes, 8 track tape - whatever... MUST HAVE - even the first time out!

(14) Mast bearings are definitely equal to more than the some of their (single) part. Don`t forget one. The luff-track bearing from Hobie is pretty handy too.

(15) Stepping the mast may surprise you the first time you do it. It is heavier and more awkward than you may think - even for a strong guy. Be sure to have someone else there the first time FOR SURE - and have a plan. With good technique, it gets a lot easier. As for the advice that "two people can step a mast WITHOUT a stepping link kit" - this is bad advice. Though I am sure it is possible, I am also sure it is quite dangerous for the inexperienced...get the stepping link kit and buy a spare too!

(16) Check and re-check that all your lines and travellers run freely and and have no tangles BEFORE you leave the beach - EVERY time you go out. I seem to have a brain-block on this one and it can really be a pain in the butt when you forget to do this.

(17) Silicon spray is something you need on a regular basis, especially on the travellers. Keep some in the tool kit.

(18) I LIKE my Baby-Bob mast float a lot - if only for that little bit of confidence and security it imparts. Besides that, I really like the look of it too. Nobody has called me a sissy yet (not to my face anyhow - thats all I care about). I say; BABY-BOB and proud of it! We can always start a support group if the ridicule gets too much!

(19) With the above information and more - especially regarding the books and videos - you can be flying your hulls, completing your tacks, and righting your capsized boat the very first time you go sailing. BUT, be prepared for the experience, it is powerful and addictive... truly one of lifes` greater pleasures - at least it is for me!

Hope this helps someone,

Dave

Last edited by Captain_Dave; 09/13/05 12:18 PM.
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: For newbies...what worked and what didn`t ! [Re: Captain_Dave] #57023
09/13/05 05:26 PM
09/13/05 05:26 PM
Thunder Bay ON CAN
M
mmadge Offline
enthusiast
mmadge  Offline
enthusiast
M

Thunder Bay ON CAN
What part of Ontario are you from.I am in Thunder Bay.

Re: For newbies...what worked and what didn`t ! [Re: Captain_Dave] #57024
09/13/05 05:38 PM
09/13/05 05:38 PM
MELB, AUSTRALIA
DREAMING Offline
stranger
DREAMING  Offline
stranger

MELB, AUSTRALIA
That's great advice Dave! Especially regarding the theory that the first time out you will be going nice and slow - first time out for my girlfriend and I we had perfect "beginner" conditions forecast and it ended up changing into a gale whilst we were out on the water. Turned into a near disaster!!

A good idea to check that things are working smoothly even before you hit the water - rudders locking up and down properly, etc. First time out should be fun, not an exercise in frustration

Re: For newbies...what worked and what didn`t ! [Re: DREAMING] #57025
09/13/05 08:17 PM
09/13/05 08:17 PM
N
newbiesailor Offline
newbiesailor  Offline
N

i also like the idea of checking everything before leaving the beach... though sometimes you dont have the luxury of doing so, like when the beach is closed and theres a coast guard boat right on your tail

Re: For newbies...what worked and what didn`t ! [Re: Captain_Dave] #57026
09/14/05 05:16 PM
09/14/05 05:16 PM
NC
D
drbinkle Offline
addict
drbinkle  Offline
addict
D

NC
Good advice! The H16 was my first sailboat as well and I just started racing it this summer.

Some more advice:
Don't forget to use your mast step link.
At the last regatta I was at I watched the guys with a H17 next to me forget to use the step link and they almost dropped the mast. I was laughing a little and wondering how someone could forget to use it and sure enough when I went to drop my mast I forgot to use it, luckily I caught it in time.

Re: For newbies...what worked and what didn`t ! [Re: drbinkle] #57027
09/15/05 08:48 AM
09/15/05 08:48 AM
Ontario, Canada
Captain_Dave Offline OP
enthusiast
Captain_Dave  Offline OP
enthusiast

Ontario, Canada
Mmadge,

I live about 2 hours outside of Toronto. Although we both live in the same province, I think you are about the same distance from me as the Florida border.

Dave

Re: For newbies...what worked and what didn`t ! [Re: Captain_Dave] #57028
09/15/05 12:10 PM
09/15/05 12:10 PM
Tom_Robbrecht Offline
stranger
Tom_Robbrecht  Offline
stranger

May I add "(20) Check for the presence of both drain plugs before leaving shore" ?

I know this from first hand experience....

Re: For newbies...what worked and what didn`t ! [Re: Tom_Robbrecht] #57029
09/15/05 12:32 PM
09/15/05 12:32 PM
North Carolina
hrtsailor Offline
enthusiast
hrtsailor  Offline
enthusiast

North Carolina
I like your list and would add that you should check and grease trailer bearings, check tires and make sure you have a spare, lug wrench and a jack that you can use on the trailer. Also check trailer lights.

Howard

Re: For newbies...what worked and what didn`t ! [Re: hrtsailor] #57030
09/15/05 12:55 PM
09/15/05 12:55 PM
Ontario, Canada
Captain_Dave Offline OP
enthusiast
Captain_Dave  Offline OP
enthusiast

Ontario, Canada
Tom and Howard,

You guys are making me bust a gut laughing...you can sure as heck bet I added those two items to my list!

- my trailer is well equipped...and as for the drain plugs, I learned that one the hard way during the maiden voyage of a friend`s brand new 60hp aluminum fishing boat. We couldn`t figure out why the boat was so gutless and wouldn`t plane...until we looked behind us...90 seconds out of the dock and we nearly lost the boat. We had to actually go under water (while inside the boat!!) to stuff those drain-plug holes.

- I have 2 spares for the Hobie.

Dave

Last edited by Captain_Dave; 09/15/05 12:58 PM.
Re: For newbies...what worked and what didn`t ! [Re: Captain_Dave] #57031
09/15/05 01:27 PM
09/15/05 01:27 PM
St. Louis, MO
hobienick Offline
enthusiast
hobienick  Offline
enthusiast

St. Louis, MO
One more thing I found useful to have is one of those "Hobie Tools". These are great to carry on the boat and are very useful when you have to make a repair/adjustment on the water or at a nearby beach after you left your launch site. I personally carry two styles, the one from Murray's and the smaller Hobie brand tool. I have also since added a Leatherman Tool. You can do just about any quick hardware reapir on teh boat with those three tools

BTW, I wish I had a list like this when I started. Most of them were learned the hard way.

Nick

Current Boat
Looking for one

Previous Boats
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
'74 Pearson 30
St. Louis, MO
Re: For newbies...what worked and what didn`t ! [Re: hobienick] #57032
09/15/05 01:44 PM
09/15/05 01:44 PM
Ontario, Canada
Captain_Dave Offline OP
enthusiast
Captain_Dave  Offline OP
enthusiast

Ontario, Canada
Hey Nick,

I actually carry your list of tools (not the Murrays tool) on the boat plus a rigging knife with a marlin spike (handy) - though my multitool is not a genuine Leatherman - nice. I use large stainless steel (spring loaded) carabiners from the hardware store to simply clip them to the underside of the tramp lacing...It looks like a chinese hardware store under there! - everything is hanging from the ceiling.

A question for you regarding the Hobie tool; on one end of the tool there is about a 1 inch long protrusion that is about 1/4 inch wide and concave/convex - almost like it could slip under a fingernail. I cannot figue out what the heck it is for. It looks real handy too -- I just don`t know for what...so - for now it remains UNHANDY!

Dave

Last edited by Captain_Dave; 09/15/05 01:50 PM.
Re: For newbies...what worked and what didn`t ! [Re: Captain_Dave] #57033
09/15/05 02:21 PM
09/15/05 02:21 PM
St. Louis, MO
hobienick Offline
enthusiast
hobienick  Offline
enthusiast

St. Louis, MO
I have always used is as a marlin spike or fid. It has the convex/concave shape for strength so you can bend it around. I use it mainly to untie tight knots. It's teh same tool I bought from Murray's.

I wear that tool around my neck beneath my life jacket. I probably should get a divers knife and attach it to my jacket as I leave my leatherman (multi-tool) in my tramp bag. Kind of hard to cut yourself out of line if you can't get to the knife.

One more thing I remembered I carried in that bag is 50' of 3/8" rope for towing. If you ever need a tow it never hurts to have the line. It also comes in handy for jury-rigging a righting system if need be. My freind has lost about 4 righting buckets while saling. They have all fallen off of the tramp and sank.

Nick

Current Boat
Looking for one

Previous Boats
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
'74 Pearson 30
St. Louis, MO
Re: For newbies...what worked and what didn`t ! [Re: hobienick] #57034
09/15/05 02:37 PM
09/15/05 02:37 PM
Ontario, Canada
Captain_Dave Offline OP
enthusiast
Captain_Dave  Offline OP
enthusiast

Ontario, Canada
I too was thinking it may be wise to keep the knife on my body as opposed to under the tramp. I have not considered losing my righting bag or the tow rope - both are very good things to consider. From my limited experience, I doubt I could right the boat with just my Hawain rigged righting line. I found that even with the Bag it had to be filled to the brim for me to bring the boat over (I am 180lbs). Perhaps better technique will improve upon this.

Dave

Re: For newbies...what worked and what didn`t ! [Re: Captain_Dave] #57035
09/15/05 02:51 PM
09/15/05 02:51 PM
St. Louis, MO
hobienick Offline
enthusiast
hobienick  Offline
enthusiast

St. Louis, MO
I solved the solo righting problem with cookies... At least that's what I tell my fiancee. I need to eat the junk food so we can right the cat easier

Anyhow, I was able to right my H16 solo in 10kts of wind. Granted I had a few pound on you and being tall I am able to get my CG farther out from the boat (6'2" 250lbs). I used just the cheap EZ right bungy system form Hobie. My TheMightyHobie18 is a different story. I need help with it. I am working on a righting pole system. I am taking the idea from others on this site.

Nick

Current Boat
Looking for one

Previous Boats
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
'74 Pearson 30
St. Louis, MO
Re: For newbies...what worked and what didn`t ! [Re: Captain_Dave] #57036
09/16/05 01:44 PM
09/16/05 01:44 PM
California
Skipshot Offline
Skipshot  Offline

California
Heed Captain Dave's advice. #1 in my book is good gloves - they're worth their weight in skin! As for the Baby Bob, why do you tempt us to riducule? I like Jamie Z's solution - use an old plastic milk jug instead.

Re: For newbies...what worked and what didn`t ! [Re: Skipshot] #57037
09/16/05 02:24 PM
09/16/05 02:24 PM
St. Louis, MO
hobienick Offline
enthusiast
hobienick  Offline
enthusiast

St. Louis, MO
I've seen on some mono's black closed cell foam about 1/2" thick glued to the top 3' of the mast. It wrapped from one side of the luff track to the other. This is less noticable and possibly "cooler" but I wonder what it does to the airflow over the mast...

Nick

Current Boat
Looking for one

Previous Boats
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
'74 Pearson 30
St. Louis, MO
Re: For newbies...what worked and what didn`t ! [Re: hobienick] #57038
09/16/05 03:53 PM
09/16/05 03:53 PM
Ontario, Canada
Captain_Dave Offline OP
enthusiast
Captain_Dave  Offline OP
enthusiast

Ontario, Canada
Plastic milk jug ? Black Foam ? ...and I suppose one would use grey duct tape (no less) to secure these flotation devices!
...Repeat after me - B.A.B.Y B.O.B ! is COOL, SUAVE, SEXY!!!

-that`s my story, and I`m sticking to it.

Dave

Last edited by Captain_Dave; 09/16/05 04:09 PM.
Re: For newbies...what worked and what didn`t ! [Re: Captain_Dave] #57039
09/20/05 10:07 PM
09/20/05 10:07 PM
Northfield Mn
Karl_Brogger Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Karl_Brogger  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Northfield Mn
Really, if the boat goes turtle is it that big of a deal to right it? And if you swim out to the mast head promtly it won't go all the way over anyway. I just can't bring myself to get a float...... No matter how many times I have my sails spread over the lawn washing off the mud. It gives you a better reason to work harder at keeping it upright.

I'm boatless.
Re: For newbies...what worked and what didn`t ! [Re: Captain_Dave] #57040
09/20/05 10:26 PM
09/20/05 10:26 PM
Hudson Valley
whoa Offline
whoa  Offline

Hudson Valley
Not cool, not suave, not sexy. If I ever felt a need for a Bob, I would trade my H16 for a jetski. I also have never worn gloves.

Re: For newbies...what worked and what didn`t ! [Re: whoa] #57041
09/21/05 01:26 AM
09/21/05 01:26 AM
N
newbiesailor Offline
newbiesailor  Offline
N

i hear that... plus i cant afford things like a bob... or gloves for that matter, i bought i H16 so i didnt have to spend money on gas and could still have a good time on the water

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 675 guests, and 102 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022