02/28/06 09:43 AM
02/28/06 09:43 AM
Santiago, Chile
Andinista Offline
enthusiast
Andinista  Offline
enthusiast

Santiago, Chile
About creating interest, my opinion is that teaching as a first step is not the answer. It is necessary to capture people's attention and interest first and I think a big issue is to let them know that it is something simple and that there is no need to have a previous background or special habilities. With that understood, instruction (or self instruction) may follow. I think a big reason why people choose motor boats instead of sailboats is that it seems to be fun and simple enough for anyone.

I lived for 6 years in a town in Chile called Los Angeles, where once a year a beneficial institution organized what they called "popular flights", where people could pay a very reasonable fee to get a tour of the area in a small airplane. The institution would get funds, the airplane clubs would perhaps get a piece too, but would also have an opportunity to show their activiy and perhaps do some free flying hours for their members and who knows what other benefits (don´t know much about flying, except having experienced a couple of flights with them). A similar idea could be applied to sailing. I think a key point is not make sailing the only or the main purpose of the activity (in the case of "popular flights" it was a benefical purpose), because this way you eliminate the need of having at least a minor previous interest in sailing, which could reduce the amount of people and let out some potential new sailors.

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: How do you teach adults how to sail? [Re: Tornado_ALIVE] #68071
02/28/06 10:10 AM
02/28/06 10:10 AM
38.912, -95.37
_flatlander_ Offline
old hand
_flatlander_  Offline
old hand

38.912, -95.37
Mr. Medwell,

Awesome stuff! Thanks very much. We're trying to expose youth (40 and under) who may have missed the "glory" days, the wonders of sailing. You're suggestion of a three day course is what I needed to hear. With americans so seemingly hard pressed for time, I'd probably scare off 90% of the people we'd be lucky to get show up for a "learn to sail" day by trying to cram too much information in to their heads in one shot.

In trying to get a more streamlined version of what you're doing (i.e. one day), I'd like to hear suggestions of what to leave in and what to leave out.

As has been stated, the student will know immediately whether or not they're hooked on sailing. An important part, as teachers, would be making the follow up opportunities available.

John H16, H14
Re: How do you teach adults how to sail? [Re: Tornado_ALIVE] #68072
02/28/06 11:15 AM
02/28/06 11:15 AM
North Carolina
hrtsailor Offline
enthusiast
hrtsailor  Offline
enthusiast

North Carolina
Stephen,

Your course sounds very well thought out and thorough. I have to contrast it with how my father learned to sail. Back in the '30s he had someone build him a Comet sailboat, similar to a Lightning but smaller (monohull). When it was ready, he spent all night reading a book on how to sail. He worked on and around the water and had powerboats but had never sailed. The next day he and my mother entered a race in the Raritan Yacht Club on Raritan Bay, NJ. It was blowing a gale. My Dad was dressed up in a white outfit with a white captain's cap. The first thing that happened was the boom came over and hit him in the head so blood streamed down all over his white shirt. They went out anyway and started in the race when a shroud broke and they dropped the sail. They drifted into the old ferry slip where they were when the race ended. The other sailors came over, offering to tow them home but my Dad insisted he would sail home or he was afraid he would never go out again. After the wind dropped they sailed home on the jib and from that point on sailed and raced for years.

Howard

Re: How do you teach adults how to sail? [Re: hrtsailor] #68073
02/28/06 11:51 AM
02/28/06 11:51 AM
Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
Mary Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
But what about your mother? Did she ever sail with him again?

Re: How do you teach adults how to sail? [Re: Mary] #68074
02/28/06 03:19 PM
02/28/06 03:19 PM
North Carolina
hrtsailor Offline
enthusiast
hrtsailor  Offline
enthusiast

North Carolina
Mary,

My mother grew up on and around the water. She lived for a while on a sea going barge. Her father, my grandfather, served as ships carpenter on a squarerigger that went around the world. She was probably a more avid sailor than my Dad. After my father died she kept on sailing their Marshall Sanderling with help until she felt she couldn't handle it any more. She was 84 at the time and she turned the boat over to me. that boat which is now going on 34 years old is becoming a family heirloom.

Howard

Re: How do you teach adults how to sail? [Re: _flatlander_] #68075
02/28/06 03:28 PM
02/28/06 03:28 PM
38.912, -95.37
_flatlander_ Offline
old hand
_flatlander_  Offline
old hand

38.912, -95.37
In trying to get a more streamlined version of what you're doing (i.e. one day), I'd like to hear suggestions of what to leave in and what to leave out.

or, How do you teach "I want it all, and I want it NOW", American, adults to sail

John H16, H14
Re: How do you teach adults how to sail? [Re: _flatlander_] #68076
02/28/06 03:37 PM
02/28/06 03:37 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
or, How do you teach "I want it all, and I want it NOW", American, adults to sail

Set the chute in about 15 knots...that'll do it. It apparently worked for Wendy.

There are many different personalities with respect to adventure and new challenges - no one single solution will work for everyone.

Jake Kohl
Re: How do you teach adults how to sail? [Re: Jake] #68077
02/28/06 05:42 PM
02/28/06 05:42 PM
BANNED
MauganN20 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
MauganN20  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

BANNED

Equate sailing with the beer keg.

Worked for me

Re: How do you teach adults how to sail? [Re: Jake] #68078
02/28/06 07:29 PM
02/28/06 07:29 PM
Upstate, South Carolina
SunnyZ Offline
SunnyZ  Offline

Upstate, South Carolina
[/quote]
Set the chute in about 15 knots...that'll do it. It apparently worked for Wendy. [/quote]

Well, that certainly got my attention. I thought 'I have GOT to get me one of these!' I was determined to do what it takes to learn. My current plan is to:
a. learn how not to kill myself or anyone else.
b. get a boat (say an F16 maybe) that I can handle alone if I need to.
c. Spend time on it.
What do you think? Will that work?

Re: How do you teach adults how to sail? [Re: SunnyZ] #68079
02/28/06 08:57 PM
02/28/06 08:57 PM
F
fin. Offline
Carpal Tunnel
fin.  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
F

. My current plan is to:
a. learn how not to kill myself or anyone else.
b. get a boat (say an F16 maybe) that I can handle alone if I need to.
c. Spend time on it.
What do you think? Will that work? [/quote]

Absolutely! Especially the F-16 part!

Sailing in very light air can be awfully frustrating; sailing in very heavy air can be intimidating and a lot of work! So, at least in the beginning, work with experienced sailors as much as possible.

Last edited by Tikipete; 02/28/06 09:06 PM.
Re: How do you teach adults how to sail? [Re: Luiz] #68080
02/28/06 09:36 PM
02/28/06 09:36 PM
Dallas, Texas
thom Offline
enthusiast
thom  Offline
enthusiast

Dallas, Texas
OK Luiz-

Whats the latest on the boat??? Also I found two effective dvds to get someone interested. Visualskipper4 and the Catamaran with Booth. I have loaned both out and have taken three out of five out for a sail who actually enjoyed the day.

thom

Re: How do you teach adults how to sail? [Re: Mary] #68081
02/28/06 10:36 PM
02/28/06 10:36 PM
Arthur_Stevens Offline
Arthur_Stevens  Offline

Hi Mary:
US SAILING has a complete program to teach people the art of teaching sailing. Class's are available all over the country. Of course there is a cost associated with the class and more importantly a time constraint, it takes 4 days to go through the class. It can be done in two week-ends though. When you pass the class you become a Level 1 instructor which includes a secondary liability policy for one year. You will also need CPR and AMR certifications.
You would have to be a member of US SAILING as well.

Some years ago when I was on the training committee we decided there was no difference between Multihull and Monohull beginner sailing. This eliminated the controversy over having two different Level 1 positions. Absolute, never been on a boat before sailors don't know any different so monohull/multihull isn't a problem.

What is so great about the Level 1 program is our youth Multihull sailors are becoming instructors through this program. This allows them to make a little spending money during the summer. They are also starting to fill the ranks of sailors at the Alter Cup.

Best regards,
AJS

Re: How do you teach adults how to sail? [Re: _flatlander_] #68082
03/01/06 07:23 AM
03/01/06 07:23 AM
F
fin. Offline
Carpal Tunnel
fin.  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
F

How do you teach "I want it all, and I want it NOW", American, adults to sail

Are these the people you want to deal with?

One of the primary requirements of sailing is patience. Afterall, the wind keeps its own schedule, as many RCs can attest!

Re: How do you teach adults how to sail? [Re: _flatlander_] #68083
03/01/06 08:25 AM
03/01/06 08:25 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Tornado_ALIVE Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tornado_ALIVE  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Melbourne, Australia
With americans so seemingly hard pressed for time, I'd probably scare off 90% of the people we'd be lucky to get show up for a "learn to sail" day by trying to cram too much information in to their heads in one shot.

This course was designed more for larger classes..... To streamline it, I'd would run the same format, however work with very small numbers ie 2 to 6 people or 1 to 3 crews.

One thing I would like to do when I get older and start to wind down my sailing is to start up a part time sailing school possibly at our club.... beginer classes on a Saturday with an advance course on a sunday...... 3 day course (3 weekends) for beginners and repeat every month during the sailing season.... Advance courses longer and more customised to a group.

Cheers

Re: How do you teach adults how to sail? [Re: Mary] #68084
03/01/06 05:11 PM
03/01/06 05:11 PM
Fl
Kaos Offline
Kaos  Offline

Fl
Being able to teach has most to do with desire to teach. Typically the better the sailor the more difficult it will be for that person to teach. The reason is being able to relate to the person who wants to learn to sail who knows "nothing". The excellent sailor knows "too much". The challenge for the better sailor is to go back to the very beginning where you knew nothing. That is very hard to do for the experienced sailor. Your students ability to take in information under varying conditions will impact the time it takes for them to learn. A young adult 22 will be a different learner than a 65 year old adult. One is not better than the other, but they will approach a given problem differently based on their back ground and learning style. The learning session as most mentioned needs to be fun, challenging and the student will want to feel like they have some control over their situation (feel safe). Before going on the water, teach a little wind with a bubble gun and a rigged sail boat. They will be able to "see" the wind then. Always stress how easy it can be, "we" make it difficult. First thing to teach is how to stop. Keep everything relaxed, learning is not a race. If you have a large group, you will have to determine each students learning pace. In a group, students learn the fastest from each other. Set up that dynamic and you are on your way. As was mentioned before, you can "learn" in 20 minutes. Becoming "good" will take a while. If the learning is fun the students will gobble it up fast.
Humble opinion of a long time sailing instructor.

Re: How do you teach adults how to sail? [Re: _flatlander_] #68085
03/01/06 05:22 PM
03/01/06 05:22 PM
Upstate, South Carolina
SunnyZ Offline
SunnyZ  Offline

Upstate, South Carolina

I just had my first sailing lesson today. Can I just make a suggestion about the 'one day' thing? ...You've GOT to be kidding me.
I learned so much today. I feel like I need to stop up my ears to keep it all from leaking out. It was a beautiful day and I had such a good time but I have so much to learn.
David Mosley taught me today. I have to say he is pretty patient. There were a couple of times I winced thinking that he should probably be trying to find something to throw at me but nothing ever came wizzing through the air.

I just can't wait to go again! Tomorrow is supposed to be another perfect day... Sometimes having to go to work really stinks.

Re: How do you teach adults how to sail? [Re: SunnyZ] #68086
03/01/06 05:58 PM
03/01/06 05:58 PM
F
fin. Offline
Carpal Tunnel
fin.  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
F

Sunny:

More, please. I'm very interested in learning about your impressions and reactions. What did he have you actively doing? Was it too much, too little?

How about a diary of the learning process! I think it would be fascinating!

Last edited by Tikipete; 03/01/06 06:09 PM.
Re: How do you teach adults how to sail? [Re: fin.] #68087
03/01/06 08:27 PM
03/01/06 08:27 PM
Upstate, South Carolina
SunnyZ Offline
SunnyZ  Offline

Upstate, South Carolina
Sunny:

More, please. I'm very interested in learning about your impressions and reactions. What did he have you actively doing? Was it too much, too little?

How about a diary of the learning process! I think it would be fascinating!

Okay, Understand that this is my second time on a cat and the first attempt at undertanding it. An earlier post Kaos encouraged teachers to start at the begining. That is really where David started today and I really appreciated it.

First we put the boat together. I was happy to do that because I could put a name to the ropes and see how they were strung through and attached. That made what he asked me to do later make more sense. Please don't assume that meant that I had everything straight. I didn't.

I think it is helpful to call the ropes by their proper name along with a discription. Say 'the blue jib sheet' or 'the red spinnaker sheet' By the end of the lesson I didn't need the color anymore and he dropped it.

I found the Spinnaker Halyard to be hard to grip because it was so much thinner than the others. I didn't expect that and it slipped through my hands some which made my set too slow. I got to work the spinnaker for some time. I am glad he didn't ask anything else of me at the time because I had to really pay attention and adjust it often in the oscillating wind to make it the way he told me it should look.

I know it seems silly but when asked to 'let the jib out' it seemed like I should pull the sheet toward the outside of the boat and when I let the sheet slip toward the middle of the boat that sounds like 'sheeting in' to me. It took me a while to change my mind about what that meant. This is where helping put the boat together made a difference.

He tried to explain the angle of a tack to the wind. I understand in concept. I can picture how I might draw it on paper However, we were out for about two hours and this was too much. I was still trying to figure out how the boat worked mechanically. I am not a stupid girl but I was having a hard time absorbing it at that point. I think another hour of 'the mechanics' of the boat and I could have been ready to think about wind.

I have been thinking about what I was asked to do and his explanations since. I have been picturing what the sails were supposed to look like and what I did to make them look that way. I am ready to think about something else now. But trust me, for the first two hours, this was enough.

I had a wonderful time and my resolve is set. This is for me.

Re: How do you teach adults how to sail? [Re: Kaos] #68088
03/01/06 08:36 PM
03/01/06 08:36 PM
“an island in the Pacifi...
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

“an island in the Pacifi...
Typically the better the sailor the more difficult it will be for that person to teach. The reason is being able to relate to the person who wants to learn to sail who knows "nothing". The excellent sailor knows "too much". The challenge for the better sailor is to go back to the very beginning where you knew nothing.
Gotta disagree with your statement. If you can find an experienced/excellent/long time sailor that can teach without immediately drowning the students with sailing jargon then you've got a keeper. The ones that can't are showing off their knowledge and not teaching anything.

US Sail Level 2 Instructor
US Sail Level 3 Coach
Re: How do you teach adults how to sail? [Re: SunnyZ] #68089
03/01/06 08:57 PM
03/01/06 08:57 PM
F
fin. Offline
Carpal Tunnel
fin.  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
F

I sounds to me like you are in very good hands!

I hope you will continue the diary, I enjoy it very much!

Thank you, you make me smile!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 675 guests, and 102 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022