east coast canada
S
sail2007 Offline OP
journeyman
sail2007  Offline OP
journeyman
S

east coast canada
I have several theories about this, but not one of them includes Mike Worrell deliberately trying to defraud people or destroy the race that he loved so much.

Thank you steve this was good reading
Not to beat a really dead and rotting horse, but I have to agree with Mary. The theory that MW would purposly scam a bunch of sailors out of maybe, $150,000 and in the course of doing this destroy the race he started 20 years ago, kill off his main source of income and simultaniously destroy his family name is preposterous.

Do other details really matter? The overall picture is pretty clear: Mike Worrell screwed up, found himself without the funds to put on the event or repay the competitors or other debtors, then compounded the problem by unilaterally (the way he did everything) pulling the plug just days before the start.

Not long ago Mike contacted me and wanted me to write a story about a comback he was planning (and wanted final editing rights to the story, which I would not give him). He wouldn't provide clear details, but the implication was it involved a Hollywood-based television producer and a reality TV show. Obviously this never got off the ground.

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: worrell 1000 Question? [Re: sail2007] #87975
11/04/06 11:32 AM
11/04/06 11:32 AM
“an island in the Pacifi...
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Vague responses. Conclusion? Avoid.

US Sail Level 2 Instructor
US Sail Level 3 Coach
Re: worrell 1000 Question? [Re: hobie1616] #87976
11/04/06 12:25 PM
11/04/06 12:25 PM
canibul Offline
stranger
canibul  Offline
stranger

Uh, I guess this isnt a good time to talk about my idea for a race without sails...you know...any boat can enter. We all start upwind of the finish line, no paddling allowed althought you could scull your rudders...

I figure big fat people with billowing clothes and a lot of windage will win it...

I only need y'all to put up, say $ 10K apiece to put it together. See, its lots cheaper if I cheat you than one of these big money guys....

Never mind.

We ran away to a life in the tropics: For real.
http://2gringos.blogspot.com/
Scam? [Re: sail2007] #87977
11/04/06 09:19 PM
11/04/06 09:19 PM
Asuncion, Paraguay
Luiz Offline
veteran
Luiz  Offline
veteran

Asuncion, Paraguay
I posted a race event that I am currently working on offering $234,000.00 In Cash Prizes, In the threads there was a mention of comparison to the worrell 1000 and that I should read up on it.

Nowadays any post asking for money in the Net smells like a scam.

If you want to collect money and don't want it to look like a scam, the financials of your sailing event must be reliable, verifiable and easy to understand.

You smay ask for deposits in an escrow account in a bank, provided that the rules governing the account are well prepared.

Alternatively, you may use a reliable trustee. A well reputed treasurer of a well reputed yacht club or fleet is a strong candidate. Unknown people are not eligible - and that probably means you.

By the way: I would never send money to anyone writing in English with more mistakes than I do. Those mistakes are too simmilar to those found in scams. Find an educated adult to help you. find a fleet or yacht club to help too.

Luiz
Re: Scam? Not [Re: Luiz] #87978
11/05/06 12:22 AM
11/05/06 12:22 AM
east coast canada
S
sail2007 Offline OP
journeyman
sail2007  Offline OP
journeyman
S

east coast canada
I posted a race event that I am currently working on offering $234,000.00 In Cash Prizes, In the threads there was a mention of comparison to the worrell 1000 and that I should read up on it.

Nowadays any post asking for money in the Net smells like a scam.

If you want to collect money and don't want it to look like a scam, the financials of your sailing event must be reliable, verifiable and easy to understand.

You smay ask for deposits in an escrow account in a bank, provided that the rules governing the account are well prepared.

Alternatively, you may use a reliable trustee. A well reputed treasurer of a well reputed yacht club or fleet is a strong candidate. Unknown people are not eligible - and that probably means you.

By the way: I would never send money to anyone writing in English with more mistakes than I do. Those mistakes are too simmilar to those found in scams. Find an educated adult to help you. find a fleet or yacht club to help too.

Ok, simply put I happen to be quite Educated, I do not however place much stock, value or worth in a misspelled word or even a few, as apparently some do, maybe I should, but I do not. It is not an easy task to take the necessary time to read and understand in the run of a day, multiple posts, emails, letters questions, what have you. Then sit down and respond to each one individually, promptly etc. Now combine that with your own agenda, Dailey routine of work, planning an event, making calls, contacts meetings etc. Now don't forget to include your family in there somewhere. Ok I thought about this, I am sure its the information and rapid reply that's important, not whether or not a word is exact or not.

thanks for the feedback on the other items you wrote of, I will keep that in mind upon setting things up at the bank. When I do so, I will post exactly how the trust account will work, taking into account all concerns, suggestions and feed back. Also, before there is any requirement for a deposit etc. There first must be enough Interested teams to support the event. No money is required until I at least have that, then the decision will be made to, carry it all out, not before. If or when this takes place those funds will go not to me, to a trust set up with a recognizable bank it will be that bank who will make payment of the prize. Any documentation as to this agreement to the bank, will be downloadable on the web site, complete with contacts numbers etc. I hope that this method will be satisfactory to all concerned, if not and there needs to be more done, than now would be the time for those suggestions on it.
thanks

Last edited by sail2007; 11/05/06 01:22 AM.
Re: Scam? Not [Re: sail2007] #87979
11/05/06 04:25 AM
11/05/06 04:25 AM
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I believe I can speak for most of the members of this forum. Your credibility here is questionable at best. You talk of big payoffs but don’t have the wherewithal to establish even the most rudimentary organization to run a bare bones regatta. You’ve milked this forum for information that is basic knowledge for any YC or fleet RCC. You claim that you’re “quite Educated” but discount the value of proper spelling. You continually claim that no money will be required until enough interest is generated but your freebie web site demands a credit card number. And, on top of everything else, your proposed regatta is sailed on monohulls.

Let’s summarize. No credibility, no organization, no money, no knowledge and, no multihulls. You’ve come to the wrong place. Find a monohull forum for your daydreams. They may be more receptive but don’t hold your breath.

US Sail Level 3 Coach
Re: Scam? Not [Re: hobie1616] #87980
11/05/06 07:34 AM
11/05/06 07:34 AM
canibul Offline
stranger
canibul  Offline
stranger

Ouch. Well stated, and right between the eyes. I like this guy.

Now, I got this email this morning from a guy in Nigeria who has $ 20 million to run a race, and only needs me to give him my banking details and I can be a partner....

Re: worrell 1000 Question? [Re: Robi] #87981
11/05/06 07:50 AM
11/05/06 07:50 AM
South Florida & the Keys
arbo06 Offline
Pooh-Bah
arbo06  Offline
Pooh-Bah

South Florida & the Keys
Who needs cash prizes? We have T-Shirts, Ye Olde Lawn Chair and Busch beer, not to mention all of the "good people" that we are blessed with.

Cash would just suck the fun right out of the whole deal. It would be great for a few........

Re: Scam? Not [Re: hobie1616] #87982
11/05/06 09:17 AM
11/05/06 09:17 AM
Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
I have been doing a little research. And I have also been in e-mail contact with Mark Daggett, who seems sincere and now seems to be able to spell. (Did somebody else write that one post for him?) I have told Mark that I am very skeptical about this whole thing.

On Mark Daggett's web site he clearly says, at the very beginning of the description of the event that, "The event will consist of 12 sailboats 'one design' donated for the event period by our official manufacturer."

So I e-mailed the manufacturer, and he says this is not so. The manufacturer is not involved with this event, although he is trying to help Mark locate boats that could be used in the event.

That seems iffy to me, since only 200 Ultimate 20's have been built and 160 of those sold in North America. Sounds like at the very least 12 current U20 owners would have to agree to give up use of their boats for an entire sailing season and relocate them to Lake Petitcodia. This seems doubtful, even if Mark pays substantial charter fees to the owners of the boats for all of the 11 or 12 regattas in the series.

Anyway, Mark now claims he did not say that the manufacturer would be supplying/donating the boats. But the statement is still right there on the web site. (Again, maybe there is more than one person involved.)

A BIG item of concern is that Mark says he plans to sail in the event himself. I think this is a MAJOR conflict of interest for the organizer of a high-stakes money regatta. Figure it out. I have done the math, and you can do it if you care.

Also I have done a lot of research about this "lake" that they are going to use for this series. Google "Lake Petitcodia".

Re: Scam? Not [Re: Mary] #87983
11/05/06 09:21 AM
11/05/06 09:21 AM
St Petersburg FL
Robi Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Robi  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

St Petersburg FL
After these last few replies I am interested to see what this guy has to say.

Re: Scam? Not [Re: Robi] #87984
11/05/06 10:02 AM
11/05/06 10:02 AM
canibul Offline
stranger
canibul  Offline
stranger

"adios" comes to mind..

Re: Scam? Not [Re: Robi] #87985
11/05/06 11:09 AM
11/05/06 11:09 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
After these last few replies I am interested to see what this guy has to say.

He might not want to come back...

Mary, I Googled the Lake you put up but only found a recommended spelling "Petitcodiac" which is a river with a "recreational head pond" called Lake Petitcodiac. It's also known as the "Chocolate River" because of the water color and is one of the few rivers that actually has a tidal wave with the incoming ocean tide. It sure doesn't sound like a terrific place to sail - but it leads me to believe that it's not really a scam because certainly someone could dream up something better than that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petitcodiac_River

Jake Kohl
Re: Scam? Not [Re: Jake] #87986
11/05/06 11:35 AM
11/05/06 11:35 AM
St Petersburg FL
Robi Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Robi  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

St Petersburg FL
So its about sailing a monohull, in muddy waters up in Canada. Not really into monohulls unless its a sports boat, I dont like muddy waters and Canada is too cold for my blood.

Re: Scam? Not [Re: hobie1616] #87987
11/05/06 11:46 AM
11/05/06 11:46 AM
east coast canada
S
sail2007 Offline OP
journeyman
sail2007  Offline OP
journeyman
S

east coast canada
[quote]I believe I can speak for most of the members of this forum. Your credibility here is questionable at best. You talk of big payoffs but don’t have the wherewithal to establish even the most rudimentary organization to run a bare bones regatta. You’ve milked this forum for information that is basic knowledge for any YC or fleet RCC. You claim that you’re “quite Educated” but discount the value of proper spelling. You continually claim that no money will be required until enough interest is generated but your freebie web site demands a credit card number. And, on top of everything else, your proposed regatta is sailed on monohulls.

excuse me but, no credit card number is asked for on the form, only what means you intend to pay with, should you decide to carry it through, that's it that's all. As for the other statements here, just let me say that at the top or in the beginning as it were, the question posed was for information and knowledge on the Worrall 1000 Cat race. Who would know best on this issue, cat sailor who raced in this, or monohulls.......exactly

Re: Scam? Not [Re: Robi] #87988
11/05/06 11:56 AM
11/05/06 11:56 AM
east coast canada
S
sail2007 Offline OP
journeyman
sail2007  Offline OP
journeyman
S

east coast canada
So its about sailing a monohull, in muddy waters up in Canada. Not really into monohulls unless its a sports boat, I dont like muddy waters and Canada is too cold for my blood.

Just a note here
The lake is not known as the chocolate river, the river is, the lake is feed from 2 rivers as well a reservoir that supplies the Cities drinking water.

Re: [Re: Robi] #87989
11/05/06 12:09 PM
11/05/06 12:09 PM
east coast canada
S
sail2007 Offline OP
journeyman
sail2007  Offline OP
journeyman
S

east coast canada

The photo you have posted here is on the wrong side of things, the photo is that of the river, not the lake. The tide does not enter the lake, rather the other way around, the overflow from a spillway enters the river.

Re: Scam? Not [Re: Mary] #87990
11/05/06 12:38 PM
11/05/06 12:38 PM
east coast canada
S
sail2007 Offline OP
journeyman
sail2007  Offline OP
journeyman
S

east coast canada
I have been doing a little research. And I have also been in e-mail contact with Mark Daggett, who seems sincere and now seems to be able to spell. (Did somebody else write that one post for him?) I have told Mark that I am very skeptical about this whole thing.

On Mark Daggett's web site he clearly says, at the very beginning of the description of the event that, "The event will consist of 12 sailboats 'one design' donated for the event period by our official manufacturer."

So I e-mailed the manufacturer, and he says this is not so. The manufacturer is not involved with this event, although he is trying to help Mark locate boats that could be used in the event.

That seems iffy to me, since only 200 Ultimate 20's have been built and 160 of those sold in North America. Sounds like at the very least 12 current U20 owners would have to agree to give up use of their boats for an entire sailing season and relocate them to Lake Petitcodia. This seems doubtful, even if Mark pays substantial charter fees to the owners of the boats for all of the 11 or 12 regattas in the series.

Anyway, Mark now claims he did not say that the manufacturer would be supplying/donating the boats. But the statement is still right there on the web site. (Again, maybe there is more than one person involved.)

A BIG item of concern is that Mark says he plans to sail in the event himself. I think this is a MAJOR conflict of interest for the organizer of a high-stakes money regatta. Figure it out. I have done the math, and you can do it if you care.

Also I have done a lot of research about this "lake" that they are going to use for this series. Google "Lake Petitcodia".

Mary,
If an organization, manufacturer, supplier etc. were assisting you, would you not also give them that credit.
Lets assume these boats are there, they are, and I did not use math to achieve this.
Lets also make an assumption the money is there to carry the event through, it simply is, if the participants are. This is where that math come in.
Lets also count on my racing in this event should it take place, again it is dependent on the number of participants.
The race is governed by a body of race officials, none of which I Know, applying the racing rules of sailing, the boats are "One design" meaning exact in every respect, and issued to participants by way of a draw on the first day of the race.I am only organizing the event, to make it happen, others will make up the board to apply it. there is no conflict of interest all is equal in every respect.

Re: worrell 1000 Question? [Re: sail2007] #87991
11/05/06 12:45 PM
11/05/06 12:45 PM
east coast canada
S
sail2007 Offline OP
journeyman
sail2007  Offline OP
journeyman
S

east coast canada
I wish to thank everyone for their answers, suggestions as well comments to my Re: worrell 1000 Question? It has been most helpful. Should anyone wish to add something they feel would make this event better, please do I will be looking for those suggestions. In doing so please keep it constructive and useful.

Re: Scam? What Am [Re: sail2007] #87992
11/05/06 01:14 PM
11/05/06 01:14 PM
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

There’s a difference between donated and assisting. In this case, the manufacturer is trying to locate owners that will charter boats for an extended period. As someone who claims to be “quite Educated” you should know the difference. Your failure to use the proper description takes another bite out of your credibility.

You make a number of assumptions. Boats, money, participants, etc. When you’re asking people to pony up a large sum of money for a blue-sky event then assumptions just don’t cut it. Assumptions are the mother of all screw-ups.

With the proposed scope of your blue-sky event, how can you even think of competing? I’ve run a number of weekend events with an excellent staff to support me and never got my tootsies wet (except for the time I fell off the committee boat). Is the fix in?

Race officials? Others will make up the board organizing the event? Who are they? If you haven’t got them lined up and organizing then you’re almost a year behind. You appear here on November 2 to start asking questions about a big money event that’s suppose to start in six or seven months and expect anyone to believe it’s for real? Do you have permits for the venue? Do you have insurance? Do you have anything except a freebie web site with a bunch of half-truths? Inquiring minds really want to know, if for no other reason, the entertainment value.

US Sail Level 3 Coach
Re: Scam? What Am [Re: hobie1616] #87993
11/05/06 02:29 PM
11/05/06 02:29 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not willing to comment on sail2007 or his event (because I don't know him), but to answer the question of why he's here talking to cat sailors. Its because I sent him here.

He was plugging his event in the sportsboat section of sailing anarchy, and someone bought up the Worrell. When no one was forth coming with more info, I recommended that he should come here and ask cat sailors about a cat event.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 688 guests, and 81 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022