01/21/07 03:01 PM
01/21/07 03:01 PM
WA, ID, MT
davefarmer Offline OP
old hand
davefarmer  Offline OP
old hand

WA, ID, MT
I'm contemplating adding an A cat to the stable, and am looking at a '96 Bimare with a carbon mast and a couple of sails(Arjen Kooy and Ullman). My concern is whether I'll have a problem when I comes time to have a new main built for it. I think it's the original mast, will any quality Acat sailmaker have any trouble matching a new sail to this mast (is there a way to identify this mast, or determine it's bend characteristics)?
I don't plan to race ( no other As around), just think it'd be a great solo ride.

dave

SC20
Flight Risk

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: A cat mainsail/mast compatability [Re: davefarmer] #96908
01/21/07 03:44 PM
01/21/07 03:44 PM
Netherlands
Hans_Ned_111 Offline
enthusiast
Hans_Ned_111  Offline
enthusiast

Netherlands
Hi Dave,

I understand the point of the mast measurement but when you have two sails you can see which one is the flatter one and can make a choise that one of the 2 sails is best for you and than you can let try a sailmaker to copy this sail but this is still difficult. The point about the mast is that it is a pretty old mast and it is not to compare anymore with todays masts but what the cheapest way of doing is buy a sail of 1 year old and give it a shot.
The point about the bending is that everybody is doing this different so this is always a problem but a good sailmaker should do the job.
Otherwise look at the A-class IACA website or contact us at info@catamaranparts.nl maybe we can help you, we are doing the A-class and Blade F16 in Europe.

Regards,
Hans

Re: A cat mainsail/mast compatability [Re: davefarmer] #96909
01/21/07 04:04 PM
01/21/07 04:04 PM
Atlanta
GeoffS Offline
GeoffS  Offline

Atlanta
is there a way to identify this mast, or determine it's bend characteristics?

A 2005 XJ that I sail against at Lake Lanier has a Riba mast. There is actually a Riba sticker under the clear-coat near where you feed in the sail. It is difficult to see. If Bimare was using Riba masts in 96 you might look for a similar sticker under the clear-coat to help ID the mast.

Re: A cat mainsail/mast compatability [Re: Hans_Ned_111] #96910
01/21/07 09:43 PM
01/21/07 09:43 PM
WA, ID, MT
davefarmer Offline OP
old hand
davefarmer  Offline OP
old hand

WA, ID, MT
Yeah, I recognize that a nice position to be in, is to be more than happy to be downstream of racers who have little use for last years sail. But if they are only going to be compatible with new masts, then the idea of getting a fun(non racing) solo boat for relatively cheap ($3 to 4 K?), might not be so practical. So how would a good Acat sailmaker build a sail for a 10 year old mast that I may or may not be able to identify. Would it help if he had the mast? Are there ways to quantify mast bend that I could do? Could a one year old main be affordably recut for an older mast?. How much for a 2 year old mast that a sail could be found or built to match ( I think I'm venturing beyond my budget).
What I'm hoping to do is determine whether I can by a cheap boat, sail it for a season or two without much further investment, and then be able to find a newer (new?) sail that will work well with the existing mast. Am I hoping for too much with too little financial committment? It just seems that it's possible to get 85 to 90 percent of the performance of a new A, for about a third of the cost of a new one, because this is almost exlusively a race boat, and in a class that is developing steadily.
Opinions?

Dave

Re: A cat mainsail/mast compatability [Re: davefarmer] #96911
01/22/07 08:43 AM
01/22/07 08:43 AM
Connecticut
Eric Anderson Offline
Eric Anderson  Offline

Connecticut
Dave,
Go for it. The mast is not likely to be so far off the specs of a current generation mast that you won't be able to tune it. If it is a little soft it can easily be stiffened with unidirectional carbon strips. If your spreaders are not adjstable, you may need to change them so you can tune the rig. If you gave bend numbers to a sailmaker like Jay Glaser or Tony Arends you could match a sail to it. Actualy what would happen is they would tell you haow to set up your mast to maximise the sail.

Good Luck

Eric

Re: A cat mainsail/mast compatability [Re: davefarmer] #96912
01/22/07 09:51 AM
01/22/07 09:51 AM
Houston
carlbohannon Offline
old hand
carlbohannon  Offline
old hand

Houston
Assuming the mast is the one the sails were made for, I would contact Ullman. They keep records. They could work off what they built earlier to build a new sail and/or correct any problems you are having with your mast/sail.

Re: A cat mainsail/mast compatability [Re: davefarmer] #96913
01/22/07 09:53 AM
01/22/07 09:53 AM
Atlanta
bvining Offline
veteran
bvining  Offline
veteran

Atlanta
Dave,
You can absolutely measure the bend charactoristics of your mast. I had this conversation with my sailmaker just last week. He needed the measurements as a way to judge if a current sail would work for my mast. The way that its done is by hanging 20kg off the top of the mast, supporting the mast at the base and the hounds. The other measurement is done hanging 20kg between mast base and the hounds.

Recutting an old sail is a waste of time, dont bother. The best option is to get a used sail that is close to what you need. Or get one made for you.

PM me I'll get you connected with someone who can walk you through the measurement process.

Bill

Re: A cat mainsail/mast compatability [Re: bvining] #96914
01/22/07 09:59 AM
01/22/07 09:59 AM
Atlanta
bvining Offline
veteran
bvining  Offline
veteran

Atlanta
Dave,
I would start the process with the sailmaker discussing the bend of the mast you have, plus you weight and sailing ability. The sailmaker will be able to tune the sail to the mast plus your weight. I wouldnt go adding carbon to the mast until you determine that its too soft for your weight and sail needs.

Start with a sail maker a good one will want to know your weight and the bend charactoristics of your mast.

PM me, I've got a good person for you to talk to.
Bill

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 687 guests, and 134 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022