08/23/02 06:31 PM
08/23/02 06:31 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I used to live in Fl....can't throw a stick without hitting good sailing water. Now I'm in La., and have to drive hours to put a boat in. Does anyone know of public boat ramps that are sailor friendly? I am in Baton Rouge and can drive to Lake Ponchartrain, no problem.... just don't know where to go to launch.

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: sailing in La. #9858
08/23/02 07:04 PM
08/23/02 07:04 PM
South Louisiana, USA
Clayton Offline
old hand
Clayton  Offline
old hand

South Louisiana, USA
Welcome to Louisiana!! A couple of places come to mind... there is a group that sails on the north Shore around Mandeville. They've recently hosted a cat race (but for the hot shots this year). They plan to include the rest later. Check out www.pontyc.org for the race info. The contact was Bob Hodges @ [email]bobh79@bellsouth.net.[/email] He can give you all the scoop. You can also check out the Cypremort Point Beach on Vermillion Bay (Past New Iberia going south) or the Lake Charles Yacht Club @ www.saillc.org . The yacht club is for mostly small boats and lots of cats.

Good luck

Clayton Dailey

H16, S27 Toute d'Suite

Re: sailing in La. [Re: Clayton] #9859
08/23/02 07:51 PM
08/23/02 07:51 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Thanks Clayton.... does anyone know of a site to go to that will provide, " locations", maps, etc?

Re: sailing in La. #9860
08/24/02 12:59 PM
08/24/02 12:59 PM
New Orleans, LA
WJJ Offline
stranger
WJJ  Offline
stranger

New Orleans, LA
The drawback to being a sailor in Baton Rouge is there no good body of water in the immediate vicinity, but that is overcome by the numerous places to sail within a few hours drive. The most logical was mentioned by Clayton, go to Lake Pontchartrain at the Pontchartrain Yacht Club. (I believe Jackson Street at Lakeshore Drive). There is a small but nice grassy area to launch. There is also a concrete boat launch, although you have to sail out of the harbor channel (no big deal).

You should also try False River, near New Roads, only a half hour drive from BR. There was once a Baton Rouge Hobie Fleet, and they held a few regattas at False River. Its a different venue from Lake sailing with waves, but is picturesque and great sailing when the wind blows. There are public boat launches there, and the Pelican Yacht Club. My very first sail on a cat was on False River, while a student at LSU. Go Tigers.

A little farther, but still only a little more than an hours drive, is the Gulf Coast, where you can launch in Bay St. Louis or go a little further to Long Beach. The Long Beach Yacht Club has plenty of cats, easy launching, and a bar. The coast area is well worth the drive.

Clayton was also right on with Cypremort Point. It usually has great winds and is easy to launch at. Although I haven't been there in years, I'm sure you still need to bring your mosquito netting!

Last edited by WJJ; 08/24/02 01:03 PM.

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 473 guests, and 82 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022