Here's something else I had not considered until this weekend. My young crew this past weekend (age 15) wants to sail at the colegiate level. He'll be a catamaran ace by then if he sticks with it, but guess what....no multihull racing at college. He'll have to "learn" to race Lasers and 420's sometime between now and then.

Now, I think college age kids are the perfect demographic for racing small, fast, catamarans. But why have the college sailing teams continued to use 1960's era designs, rather than keep up with technology? They are looking at the Olympic pipeline, which is choked up with 40+ year old technology.

Maybe rather than focus on getting a multihull back into the Olympics, we should be taking our "show" to the Orange Bowl regatta in Miami, when all the colleges are there for their big mid-winter regatta. I'll bet if we could get some of their top skippers out on fast spinnaker cats in a good breeze, they would think twice about getting back on a 420, Lark, or what ever other dinghy they are used to. Then, years from now, when these tech savy kids get to be adults and Yacht Club board members, their minds might be a bit more open to cats...

Blade F16