Interestingly enough; I made the best results in very light winds on my F16 (with Nacra 20's present). Being small doesn't necessarily mean that you must be slow in light winds. There are alot of factors at play and I'm no lover of light conditions, it is just that my boat tracks very well in that stuff. Don't really understand why either. Interestingly enough, I used to push through the leesides of Nacra 20s in the big stuff and overtake them as they are depowering too much. Weaker points are in fact the middle wind ranges but difference to F18's is pretty small even there.

Lessons learned : alot of stuff may indeed be counterintuitive and we must listen to guys like John W. and John Casey who raced these boats in earnest. F16's pack alot more punch then is apparent from the specs. (and that is what I call good designing)

But other points stand ; even the H16 will be a quantum leap up in performance from anything currently in the Olympics with possible the sole exception being the 49-er (about as fast). So this bickering between fast multi's (F16's) compared to even faster multi's (Nacra 20C) is pretty meaningless in the grant scheme of things.

I have no love for the H16's, but will support it wholeheartedly and on record if that is our way back in.

Wouter

Last edited by Wouter; 11/13/10 03:35 PM.

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands