Originally Posted by John Williams

The submission (097-10) we're discussing is from the Exec and based upon the Olympic Commission's report, which was vetted through the IOC. This thing has pedigree and the significant thing from our perspective is that a multihull event is expressed to be important to include. Those are facts.

Exactly. 097-10 was vetted through the IOC through the ISAF EC. Therefore, to buck that consensus could logically imperil the process and possibly entire event of Olympic sailing. If I were the IOC, I would have just about had enough with the sailing MNA's equipment agendas. At this point, a unanimous consensus solution should be advanced to the IOC, rather than continue acrimonious discussions over equipment and team composition. This may be the only path capable of both preserving the catamaran 'voice' in the discussion (and possibly the entirity of Olympic Sailing). As a community, some compromise in team composition for a mixed event seems a logical way to grow popularity, preserve the catamaran and salvage the event. I think Olympic Sailing needs the catamaran, and they need something to draw people into the spectacle. I don't think mixed teams are such a bad expedient in this regard. I am more vexed by what should be the boat selected.

For me, the question should be more about 'which cat do you think we should sail', and not about bucking the IOC and ISAF EC's recommendations.

Last edited by rexdenton; 10/26/10 01:54 PM.

Nacra F18 #856