When I first started out in race management and went to certification classes, the instructors strongly recommended not talking to competitors. They would go so far as to turn their backs on boats that were sailing by. There were concerns about fairness, and about creating grounds for redress.

In subsequent years, I've seen a lot of softening of that position. Race Officials are putting a lot more emphasis on serving the competitors. The regional and national race officers I know are all very open and communicative with the racers. The general concensus is to help the sailors enjoy the regatta as much as possible.

Dick Rose (head of the ISAF rules committee) even endorses RC/Jury hailing protest to boats racing so they have an opportunity to exonerate themselves. He points out that nothing in the rules prohibits it and believes it to be a good, fair practice.

Good Race Officers know that they are there for the sailors benefit -- not the other way around. They do what they can to benefit the event. Now, at the Olympic level, I'd expect a very circumspect RC. At most events I've been to (including some national and world championships) however, there've been competitors who really appreciated a communicative Race Committee.

At the level I race, there's a lot of outside help going on, and nobody ever questions it. At a club race, are you really going to protest someone for asking you what the course is?

Regards,
Eric