From a big picture point of view, I think the results are correct. We have one skipper whose borrowed boat broke through no fault of his and anouther that did not complete his penalty. It would have been a lot cleaner if the race committee had stayed quiet

To Eric's point on another thread, we have to be careful not to mix what we "think" is right vs. what the rules say.

If Boat A broke, and Boat B finished cleanly, Boat A has no recourse to have a better finish position. As Eric said in his first post, unless it's a supplied-boat event, you are not eligible for redress for a breakdown of your boat, or a privately borrowed (or chartered) boat.

Boat B's issues are different, as discussed above. As stated, while he has the right to file for redress (for the scoring error), he may or may not actually be granted redress. I personally don't know if he can be DSQd as a result of the redress hearing if the jury realizes that he broke a rule, did not circle and was not protested.

As for the communication, I agree with Matt, it's all about judgement. My main point is it's safer to be conservative, because in this day and age of internet forums, etc. it doesn't take much to have your reputation tarnished. Of course, in a club race situation, with newbies, you give them all the help in the world (still better to do this between races, not during). If someone were enough of an idiot to complain about that, I think it's within your rights to get some class reps together, and take them out to the woodshed. If you don't do that, there's a decent chance that class will die from scaring away the newbies...

Mike