On the topic of RC communications to competitors (now that this thread is completely hijacked):

The level of communication depends on the type/level of event, what the competitors expect and just plain common sense.

Last week at the Melges 24 Nationals, I (on the RC) was asked by a competitor, "Do we need to wear PFD's while racing?" My response (which is pretty typical) - "Read the Sailing Instructions." Competitors at that level should know better.

On the other hand, at a CRAM weekend race, the guy who was trailing last in the standings went by the signal boat (in DFL) and asked, "Am I oversheeted?" I couldn't help but nod my head. (He still came in last.) Common sense said that there's no way anybody is going to protest him for receiving outside assistance for that.

At the same event, I shortened course at the gate (committee boat was tied to one of the marks to make it perfectly clear), yet one of the boats thought the line was between the boat and the pin which was still set a couple of hundred yards away. He didn't sail through the gate. It would have been foolish of me to yell at him, "Hey! You didn't finish correctly!" He should know better (and now he'll never forget that).