Here's a kick in the face.... M20 mast? 9k!!

I asked Jim Young back in October a/b putting that stick on the I20. His reply, "nah we're not going to do it b/c the carbon masts stand up to the crazy stuff you all do on the 20's better." Next thing I know two months later the rumors a/b an Al mast start flying.

I have no problems so long as the performance hit is negligeble... I think most people would feel the same way. The newer alloys and shapes could provide us with a mast that might sacrifice a couple of pounds but save us a few more in the pocket book. A new one will however probably obsolete the older mains but that's already been done with the recent spreader change.

I've done some CRAZY stuff with an I20 and never had a rig fail but I've seen a couple go. We were right behind Mark Murry when they broke their mast in the '02 W1k. It broke in a gust when they let the main go. Also saw one in Tampa at Hobie Midwinters East WAY back when the boat first came out. Was blowing 30 and I think someone eased the main in a gust... POP!! I've been to hell and back under those sticks... take care of keeping proper structure and not whipping it too hard and it will hold up for quite a while.