on the stitching on the tramp coming apart

my 1982 nacra seems to have the original tramp, about 5 years ago? the previous owner ran a simple single running stitch through the mesh to back up the original thread which was breaking from uv exposure

in the usa i guess i would have just bought a new tramp or looked for a 2nd hand one

back in new zealand i would have taken it to a commercial sewing shop to get all seams re sewn but here in backwoods japan no one seemed to have a big enough machine for such work. so instead i spend about 5? hours of quality winter bonding time with my new cat by hand sewing every seam with either heavy nylon whipping thread, for the simple mesh to mesh seams on 3 sides, or waxed heavy nylon thread and a sewing awl, for the heavier area across the back where the tramp is tensioned to the rear beam.

a pain at the time but a good lesson in sewing and i've already used the sewing awl to fix a few back packs etc.

with my new skills and tools i'm also going to sew a couple of mesh pockets to the front of the tramp for the halyards and add some hiking straps

1 of the shots of the supercat seemed to show their expendable shrouds which allows easier righting when the boat goes over

pity you are moving as for $400 the 2 cats would provide HOURS of fun and get you a few credits with friends by getting them off their hands

but as you are moving so far and probably want to get sailing this season you should probably pass on these and pay $800 for something that can be sailed right off

but hey, if you are not buying them and they are not picky about who does pass on the contact details here or elsewhere

eric e
1982 nacra 5.2 - 2158
2009 weta tri - 294