I got an e-mail from PU that explained the port start:
As to why I did not postpone when it was obvious they were going to do a port start. I set up the start line purposely so that they would start on port.
We did the same thing the two previous years for the test events for both the boards and the catamarans on the medal course.
Had they started on starboard they would have hit the breakwater in 300 meters which at the speed they were going would have been very quick. Add to that that like any catamaran, Tornados like to hit the corners. The wind at the start was 17 - 18 knots.
The idea was to get the course as close to the breakwater as we could for the thousands of spectators. This meant elimiating the left lay line, an acceptable procedure under the policy for the event.
We set the weather mark at 1.4 knotical miles Target time was 30 minutes. We missed the target time by 12 seconds. (30 min 12 sec)
The next start was the Stars. Stars dont go to corners so this class was able to start on starboard and short tack up the breakwater which was very special for the spectators and a concideration in laying the start line for both classes.
Many observers (Matt) may not have been aware of what we were trying to accomplish hence his comments regarding a postponement.
The angle that the signal boat and pin boat were laying was fairly normal for this venue.Seldom did the signal boat and pin boat ever lay in the same direction, and even more seldom bow to the wind.
Matt's observation regarding this is somewhat correct they went out, however not because of the position of the starting line. Rather because the current was pushing towards the weather mark, there was more pressure on the outside, there was stronger current outside and at this venue on the inside there are toilet bowl eddies due to shoals that disturb the current flow and finally there was a restriction on the inside.
On a finishing note, television pays 8 million dollars for the rights to this event. If they want the course next to the spectators, ISAF agrees even if it elimiates a left layline. Team leaders, Coaches and Athletes are well aware of this policy and accept it. We as race management follow policy.