Originally Posted by USA2477
....the Hobie 16 should always be used as the Hobie class to promote entry for new sailors or intros into Cat sailing and should be sailed without a kite. It is a great WW fleet as is, and also a great entry boat into large competitive cat fleets. No snobery, but as experienced sailors that weigh 170-180 each, my crew and I would have no real interest in competing in the event if sailed in H16s, with or without a kite.

Paul, we've never met and I don't want you to take this the wrong way - but if that's not a snobbish, condescending comment, then I don't know what is. I feel like I've been patted on the head and told, "There, there - don't get so upset. When you get done with your starter boat, then you can race on the big boys' boat."

What's preventing you from getting a 115-125 lb crew to sail with on a 16? Afraid of a little competition? I think it's time the spinnaker snobs stop hiding behind their sweet Portsmouth ratings and start racing mano a mano. shocked

How about we start doing the area eliminations without Portsmouth numbers? Straight one-design just like all the other US SAILING ladder events. It's only a matter of time before we won't find a manufacturer willing to supply new boats.