Originally Posted by mbounds
Originally Posted by USA2477
....the Hobie 16 should always be used as the Hobie class to promote entry for new sailors or intros into Cat sailing and should be sailed without a kite. It is a great WW fleet as is, and also a great entry boat into large competitive cat fleets. No snobery, but as experienced sailors that weigh 170-180 each, my crew and I would have no real interest in competing in the event if sailed in H16s, with or without a kite.

Paul, we've never met and I don't want you to take this the wrong way - but if that's not a snobbish, condescending comment, then I don't know what is. I feel like I've been patted on the head and told, "There, there - don't get so upset. When you get done with your starter boat, then you can race on the big boys' boat."

What's preventing you from getting a 115-125 lb crew to sail with on a 16? Afraid of a little competition? I think it's time the spinnaker snobs stop hiding behind their sweet Portsmouth ratings and start racing mano a mano. shocked

How about we start doing the area eliminations without Portsmouth numbers? Straight one-design just like all the other US SAILING ladder events. It's only a matter of time before we won't find a manufacturer willing to supply new boats.

As a former CSYC Cat sailor and a Tiger sailor I am sure we will meet sometime in the coming year - if we had met, you would learn that I am involved in youth coaching, helping manage/organize olympic youth clinics on the west coast and feel that the two most important one designs are the Laser and the H16, becuase they are entry level WW (cost not ability) and and offer some of the best competition (you read my post wrong which is easy on the internet).

As far as my sailing - never afraid of competition - I try not to race PHRF and I have only sailed one Portsmith event in my life - simply becuase I believe that Formula (F18) and OD (I race Tigers, Lasers, M24s and M32s) are the only true way to get a near even playing field, big fleets and where people do not whine about ratings. However I would not compete in a US Sailing monohull championship event in 420s or 470s with our crew weighting a total 360lbs either.

That said - sailing the US Sailing championships have never been high on my list of events H16 or not, and as a Hobie dues payer (for both myself and my crew) I hate seeing the class slinging mud on the internet. So they chose another boat this year, in my mind, this event is not as important or fair (someone always has a technical or weight advantage) as a N20, F18, F16, Tiger or H16 NAs. You do awesome work - just let this go.

P

Last edited by USA2477; 11/04/08 05:40 PM.

F18 USA 1273
Andrews 77 (SOLD) Melges 32 (SOLD) Formula18 Olympic 49er (FOR SALE)
Always outnumbered - Never outgunned....