Lift certainly isnt the major point of the bridle foil, from my understanding the main purpose is to redistribute the load from the forestay, the fact that it was designed to be a foil (an object shaped to provide differing airflow over the top and bottom surface creating lift based on the Bernoulli principle) was just nacra trying to be fancy, selling point, being in my last year of aeronautical and space engineering at uni i can easy say that the lift it provides is virtually negligible, at high boat speeds, 15+ knots, id guess the lift it provides would probably only just account for the weight of the bridle and foil it self, which isnt much, now if the foil was lowered into the water, then that would be a whole other story... Hydrofoil.

I know weight is important, but honestly, accounting for that kind of weight is like around the world skippers who cut tooth brushes in half to save weight. In my opinion, inexperienced as i am, i believe the gains made by reducing such small amounts of weight and reduced drag from windage is something only people who have reached the pinnacle of their sailing and racing abilities should worry about, if you arent one of those people, then dont bother, unless its of no major effort, as your better off putting effort into becoming a better sailor.
Thats what im trying to focus on anyway. Ive always believed a good sailor on a bad boat will beat a bad sailor on a good boat anyday.

Bribie has finished up their sailing for the season and the next race isnt untill febuary, its not a terrible active club at the moment, with only 1-2 races per month and none over dec/jan, most of the members are retirees who sail trailor sailors more on a social basis than a racing one, however we do have a small number of members still passionate about racing and younger members like me self bringing new life into the club, our cat fleet (who make up the majority of those interested in racing as opposed to social sailing, after all our boats were built to race, not to social sail, and thats what we bought them for) is gradually growing, so the future is looking brighter.

I will however most likely be racing at either Humpybong or Lake Samsonvale, which are both mostly cat racing clubs, in fact Samsonvale is almost exclusively cats, both with a large number of very very good catamaran sailors, many of which compete at a national and/or international level. However they do mostly comprise of A-Class, F18s and Taipains, so its hard slog racing against (behind) these far more experienced sailors in faster boats, but its a good learning experience. Though both clubs do have a few 14 footers such as maricats, calypsos and hobbie 14s (who are very good sailors in their classes mind you) which offer good racing, despite their "slower" boats.

Let me know when u get your mossie, and ill let you know where im racing, will definately try to get down to Cleveland on the odd occasion over the summer, and if i can have my way, will be racing every sunday that a race is on at either humpybong or samsonvale. Humpybong tend to race every sunday, and samsonvale every 2nd sunday, however i think both clubs have about 2 weeks off over christmas. Humpybong however does easily get blown out, as the waves their tend to stand very high, and races are usually cancelled there on anything 20knts and over, so if Humpybong gets a high wind warning Samsonvale is were ill be assuming they are racing.
Only thing with Samsonvale, is they have a locked gate, as the club is located in a national park area, so you need to either be there when members are arriving (usually between 9-10 am) or give them a call and get someone to drive out to the gate to unlock it. However they are an extremely friendly club and its great racing there when the wind is up, flat and very fast.

Last edited by MCGriffith; 12/08/08 01:45 AM.