Originally Posted by John Williams
I'm not against redress - I think it is important for competitors to be able to make a case that their finish position was made worse through no fault of their own. I have a problem with the other interested parties (sometimes the whole fleet) not being included in the discussion. Open hearings - I think it would tend to help people decide if they will file the redress if they know that they have to stand in front of the whole fleet to make the case. Some chicken$hit stuff would likely not be filed - saves time and aggravation.

John, How do you think this is going to work. Now your protest committee will need a certified judge PLUS two other individuals who are not racing the event (and agree to serve, one of them a class A, B or C sailor). Would you take that responsibility and give up a week or weekend of life? This is a hell of a burden...

With respect to redress... John, it seems that you think the PC did not take into account the point of view of the other competitors.

Do you have any evidence for this?

Now, you want a chance to stand up and argue for what you see is the disparate impact of the redress award given to sailor X.
Seems to me that since it's a self policing sport and you have to trust both the competitor and the PC. You have to believe that PC will act fairly, The request for redress is just that a request... not an argument to be balanced against a counter argument offered by yourself.

Don't you think a hearing with everyone demanding they be heard will just force the PC to publicly play Solomon and decide how to cut the baby... Who will take that volunteer job?

crac.sailregattas.com