What Dave said!

It's a bright line and you want all racers to recognize it.
Redress is given when fate says it falls to you to stop racing and do your duty to check out the flipped boat. As Mike says... He is liberal with the use of redress because he wants to support this standard.

The notion that the fleet will now sit in on a formal hearing and worse stand up and offer testimony that the redress requested is not warranted seems to me a nightmare.

Even worse, I can see how it will undermine the bright line standard we have now.

Try this one.
I asked for redress for my assistance. I was in 5th place at the time and request a finish of 5th.

Competitor 2. Yes he offered assistance but the race had 5 legs to go and he would never have held his position. He should be given actual time he stood by or a finish position at least 5 boats further back.

Judge to competitor. how much time?... Answer.. 2 minutes
Judge to PRO. subtract two minutes from his elapsed time.
PRO to Judge. Ugh... we don't record elapsed times for a One Design race. Judge... well we have a problem here, tommorow please record elapsed times for all one design boats.

Judge, OK, how about his average finish position for the series.

Competitor 3 rises from the crowd, If you award him average points, it will effect the trophy positions. I think he should be awarded 5th place or 10 place or give him the two minutes but don't effect the overall standings with your arbitrary decision and on and on and on and on and on.

The next time you have to tack and check out a flipped boat... the possibility exists that you will have second thoughts and that this is just not right.

I am much happier with the judge taking a stand that safety will always trump racing and then making his best call on the amount of redress awarded is the best that he can do. The impact on the fleet is secondary.

crac.sailregattas.com