Originally Posted by Matt M

A lot of events have digressed to be purely about the racing as the more hard core racers are whats left in a lot of fleets and the fleets are the only ones putting on events. There is not much incentive for a new person to go to an event that is totaly if not mostly race oriented when they have to compete against people with 20+ years of racing under their belt. And it does not matter if they are on Waves or the latest carbon 20, they are going to be way at the back. Not many people are willing to endure that kind of learning curve without some other reason the attend.

The best event that we have been to since returning to sailing was the Hagar regatta that fleet 45 put on. It was just plain FUN. We had a nice distance race, great party (actually 2) and a fun sail on Sunday. There were folks on all kinds on cats, from H16 to I20 and even the prototype (F..con F16)!....all just having a great time.

We are semi-hard core but probably with the wrong boat for now.

I love to race in big fleets but this kind of regatta is what brings in the Sunday Sailors.

Catapalooza missed the mark because not much really happened I think. Just my opinion, and perhaps it will get better.

Bottom line....it's not the boat or class, it's the venue and camaraderie.

Jack Woehrle
Hobie Wave #100, Tiger Shark III
HCA-NA 5022-1
USSailing 654799E
Alachua FL/Put-In-Bay