Originally Posted by brucat
Originally Posted by Mark Schneider
The Hobie Classes in Division 11 are run by racers who have no interest in running a beach party at the expense of their racing. They are not scheduling two short races and the rest of the day is scheduled for a beach party! The B and C fleet racing groups are very very small and the event they attend is their one event a year.

DUDE, where do you come up with this stuff??? I mean, seriously???

When was the last time you went to a D11 regatta? All the ones I've been to have had GREAT parties. Their B and C fleets are also some of the larger ones around.

No one is saying to change points regattas, but that we need to add other, lower-key, learn to sail (and race) events. These have been extremely popular and successful in various parts of the country (Doug's race clinic in NH in the old days, Hobie 101 in the NW more recently).

Cheshire, I agree totally and I proposed such an event locally here last year (team racing on a pro/am basis). We haven't gotten that off the ground yet.

Mike

Mike, You are such a reactionary.... Look at some facts... not just what you want to believe.

Where do I come up with this???... Div 11 2008 results! published on Hobie Div 11 web site.

B fleet turnouts 5 out of 8 events had 16b fleet races
four of the five events had 4 boats or less! No C fleet

I define that as VERY SMALL since it's less then a 5 boat minimum to make a class in most parts of the world.

Most of them do their one event a year...
data at same place...Three B fleeters did two or more regattas. ... IE one more event then their local home event.

So, most of the recreational racers are doing one local event a year. No C fleet means ... no recreational sailors coming out to give racing a try. Division 11 is one of the largest divisions in the HCA.

No one is saying to change points regattas, but that we need to add other, lower-key, learn to sail (and race) events. These have been extremely popular and successful in various parts of the country (Doug's race clinic in NH in the old days, Hobie 101 in the NW more recently).

Do more? With respect to Division 11 taking on a program of teaching sailing, hobie 101. yada yada yada... In previous years It was talked about each and every meeting and there is unanimous agreement that it would be great... but.. It never flies and this year... the division did not even pretend they were committed to making it happen because no fleet would step up and say they would even try it.

All of which supports my point that you can't take a racing organization that puts on regatta events and have it serve both the racer and the recreational sailor. (A nice party is not going to keep the racers coming back unless they get what they want which is good racing)

Want more evidence that a good party is not enough... note that the Sailing Anarchy FLA regatta which should have a great party has cratered because the racers did not support it ahead of time for whatever reasons. Oh and the recreational racers or recreational sailors are not showing up either!

My point, .. Why attempt to change the focus or image of the racing organization like Div 11? It is better for them to do what they do well then try to invent 1/2 Assed solutions while trying to change their stripes.

The solution to Mysterio's problem is not a mystery... Club racing is the solution, it's great, and it belongs at CLUBS. Cat sailors and most importantly, Cat Racers, need to move the boat out of the back yard.. pick a Yacht club, join en mass and support the club activities.

It sounds like Gulfport is begging/ recruiting/ standing on their head to attract some Hobie sailors to join. I have heard many of the YC's in So Cal are asking the cat sailors to join. In the Chesapeake region, PRSA, Rehboth Bay SA, West River SA and Rock Hall YC are homes to former back yard sailors.

All of the ideas that would get more cat racers or cat sailors going are most easily done at a Yacht Club.

Oh and if if it means fewer weekend regattas so that you can support the club events .. that would be a good tradeoff imo.

crac.sailregattas.com