I learned that what works well is to have the tiller in your hand but also put the same hand on the hull or foot strap or something so that you can keep the tiller steady as you are going out. I have the tiller in my hand but some fingers on the hull. It serves as a reference point as to how you are moving the tiller as you push off to go out on the wire. I find that works great and once I started doing it I have many fewer capsizes. What I would do is inadvertently pull on the tiller which would cause the boat to turn down, slow down and have me fly forward which usually ended in the boat gybing and me pull the boat over on myself.
I agree with Robi... trap height is key so your hands are more or less free. You obviously need the boat to be on a steady course with some speed before you start to go out.

There is nothing like finding the groove from the wire with the spin. I keep the hull about a foot off the water and adjust the fore-aft balance as the conditions dictate. In good chop you can't get back far enough. But in the right conditions you can really feel the boat get up and go. I am not in the sailing shape I used to be to really push it these days when I can actually sail my Blade.

Last edited by PTP; 05/01/09 08:45 PM.