Thanks for the support here Marcus.

I'm no expert or Olympic quality sailor, and maybe if I practiced more I could get to where I could easily and quickly fly out on the wire, tiller in one hand, spin. sheet in the other, haul butt, then come in, gybe, get out, get it going again. And do it all smoothly, flawlessly, quickly, and pass some guys who don't.

But I doubt it.

It works nicely with good crew, or with a longer boat in big wind, but the 16 foot platform is too short to push too hard downwind on the wire, I think, especially in waves. Burrying the bow too often slows you down too much, and that's if you don't flip. Now, if you have overstood C mark and need to go higher, yes, by all means, get out there and head up. I also have found that pulling both boards way up will help you -not- bury the low bow in a quick bear off, so when it's blowing hard I pull them up, but I have them tied together with a cross tramp line so I can do it quickly without going to the low side. But in lighter air, I leave them full down so I can get the hull up faster and sail it on one as much as possible.

My advice to all is, get out there and try it both ways, see which works better for you, and then go with that.

But sailing Uni with spinn in big air is already a lot of work, no need to add another layer of difficulty, so unless it's medium wind and you have overstood, there is really no need to trap downwind.

Don't get me wrong, it is fun, and I like to do it, but the level of difficulty is just too high to make it worth it while racing. And I can gybe a lot quicker if I'm already on the tramp.

Blade F16