Why should OD class presidents support events that are not OD?

That's a great question!

1) The standard answer is the qualifier is a means to an end ... which is a classic one design regatta where you swap boats. The quality of the fleet and the efforts the volunteers have put in to make the event public makes a slot valuable to you.

My other answers would be.

1) The top guy in the A cat class is rarely challenged locally. The pro's race the pro's in the other class and they understand the nature of handicap ratings and take the results with a grain of salt. If you win all the time.. change is good.

2) An inter class championship raced on handicap would be a unique once a year event and the variety of racing new people would keep the racing fresh. Keeping the events fresh is important to keeping the ball rolling... this area championship clearly adds to the variety.

3) The PR value of the qualifier should be higher then your standard weekend regatta because the winners move on to the national level. If we did PR, this would be a good event to make some noise about since it feeds the national championship.

4) I argue that since the sailors have likely competed in lots of different classes ... the multiclass handicap championship is at worst a good chance to see old friends.

5) Human nature loves to compare sailors... (see the silly A class NA vs Tybee 500 thread). So under the theory that any Publicity is good publicity... Having a regatta that could get some chest beating or dialog going is amusing for the participants and the bystanders and drives interest. Getting your class champion and a top qualifier into the actual championship is another marketing kind of thing.

6) I think that Open class racing is important to getting new racers going into the sport. The Cheseapeake has 5 Open races (distance and buoys) in 5 months... The last buoys race is the Qualifier.... for the dead boat society members... it is likely the biggest race they will see... I figure every one design class has a shot at getting that guy to switch.

7) the ex laser class president noted about a dinghy PN C
class race... When the sailor's focus changes from their precious toy to competition ... the friendliest class will gain a new member.

Are these and other reasons good enough to support the Area Qualifiers at the OD class level...? I hope so!

crac.sailregattas.com