Thanks, Mark. I genuinely think that we need drastically different answers, those have been tried and simply aren't working.

Schedule: In strong areas, no one wants to give up an event. And, even in places with few regattas (NE), no one goes to the Area Qualifiers (AQs).

Going down the list for who to send to the AC finals: We've done that for years, that doesn't drive anyone to the AQs.

Interclass championship? That's what it already is, no one cares.

Double points? I suggested that here earlier (along with OD class support), no one else has chimed in to support that idea.

Charity? We've done that in Area A, didn't see that it mattered.

Any rating system is going to favor one boat over another. That's definitely a hard nut to crack.

So, let's start thinking way outside the box...

If we could set up a program with some serious cash, do you think it would help if attendance at the AC finals was all-expenses paid? In other words, win your AQ, get a free trip to compete in the AC finals? Yes, I'm talking flight, hotel, meals, charter fee, and entry fee. Obviously, that would take a significant donation, but let's pretend we have the money, would that entice people to try???

A totally different idea, could the event be set up to run only on F18s going forward? Do we have enough faith in that fleet to exist in large numbers for many years to come? The AQs could still be run on whatever you bring (so you don't have to deal with charter boats at the local level), just make the finals always be on the F18.

This would "hurt" the H16 and A cat sailors, but if they're already not showing up, does it matter?

Standardizing on a single platform might give teams a better shot at training, it's a multi-manufacturer class, and people on lots of existing boats should be able to transition easily.

Mike